DVDVR Message Board

Super Mario Odyssey

SirSmUgly

Ye just get another goddamned postcard ending for getting all the damn moons.  Bowser fight is still super fucking easy.  Breakdown road final challenge was the hardest thing mainly because you gotta get the camera exactly right to even have a chance.  Once yer going it's easy.  Champions Road on 3D World was wayyyy fucking harder than the last level on this.  I kept fucking up at the Pokio part but once I got past it the thing was a done deal.  Still took about 30 attempts.

Game still kicked all leagues of ass.  Jump-rope thing was horrendous.  I only had to look up that east pillar sand kingdom thing, the cascade warp painting and three coins on seaside kingdom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Just got a Switch and this game.  Is there any downside to using Assist Mode?  Because I am terrible at 3D Mario games (the camera fucks me every time) and I have no problem with easy mode if it'll mean I have more fun playing.

There are no lives/Game Overs and a lot of the initially required moons aren't very hard to get to. I'd say give it a shot as it is before changing over.

I've considered trying easy mode but so far regular isn't too bad.  The camera isn't too bad but there's been some occasional issues.

This is the first non-wrestling game in quite awhile that I got 4 1/2 hours of gameplay in one sitting.  Everytime I thought I'd stop the game there's always that something that makes me wanna keep going.  I might not beat the game as quickly as my wife did (at least the story part, she's got other stuff to get) but holy shit is this a wonderful experience.  Aside from the wonderful gameplay and everything what I love about it the most is this complete sense of joy and amazement that i get playing it.  This is a prime example of why Mario will always be timeless and thank goodness for that.

I rolled the credits last night and I think I'm done. I did post-game stuff for about an hour to tie up some loose ends, but I don't really have a strong desire to go back and find a few hundred more moons. I definitely enjoyed the game, but it didn't grip me enough to keep grinding when I have a pretty decent sized backlog that I want to clear out before Christmas.

I'm not going to sell it and will keep my save file, its quite possible in a few months I'll be in the mood to go back and find more moons, although I am not a completist and would never do some of the frustrating stages I've seen on youtube. I am glad they put that stuff in the game for those that enjoy it, just not my cup of tea.

As far as GOTY talk goes, I've have it quite a bit below Zelda and Horizon. Very fun and enjoyable, but it really didn't take many risks. The cap possessing is a fun mechanic that added something to the game, but the fact most of the controls haven't changed since Mario 64 shows they really didn't do much to change things. There is certainly some sense to the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" line of thinking but Zelda and Horizon went outside the box while still being incredibly fun to play so they felt like more fresh experiences. As someone that has been playing video games consistently for almost 30 years, I appreciate it when games take risks and execute it.

That's a fair assessment and I certainly get what you're saying.  The controls were largely great for me, but the camera was a little unforgiving at times (especially when controlling a tank)  But while I'm not the least bit a completionist I for the first time in awhile feel compelled to get all the moons I can before moving on.  I don't know if I'll feel that urge after beating the game.  I don't play too many games so I wouldn't be the guy to say whether it's GOTY, but it at least has to be in the discussion.

• 1 month later...

My daughter has really, really, really surprised me with this game. There were times where I thought she wouldn't be able to figure something out or parts of a kingdom would be too hard to get past and she's now further than I am. I don't play it as much as she does, but she is 2 kingdoms past the Metro Kingdom and I just made it to the Metro Kingdom.

This game is super fun and addicting. I don't know why I feel so compelled to hunt down all of these moons, but there is something relaxing and satisfying to it. A couple times I just stumbled upon a hidden moon or a weird way to get that moon and I could only laugh at how clever it was.

This is so much better than the Galaxy games (even though I like those a lot), it's way better than Sunshine (which might be the most disappointing Mario game), it edges out Mario 64, and it's clearly better than SMB and SMB 2. At this point, I feel like it also edges out SMB 3. Super Mario World is the one I'm not sure of and I never played 3D Super Mario World, but I hope Nintendo ports that over to the Switch.