DVDVR Message Board

Super Mario Odyssey

SirSmUgly

I beat this game at about three hunnid and fifty stars, and let me tell you, that whole ending sequence is absurd. I mean that in the best way possible. Holy shit, this is my favorite game in the history of games. 

I've seen the credits but there's a ledge beyond the edge.  I'm somewhere in the mid 500s and they're just dumping new moons on me.

I thought the roll would be more used but nothing has required it.  The thing where you jump, throw yer cap then dive towards it then dive again is the lifeblood of this game.  You can do all sorts of shit you shouldn't be able to do.

The roll is important in the post-game to get stars, IMO. You can lunge and roll out of a butt drop, and that covers lateral ground like crazy. 

I actually butt dropped and dove into a cap bounce, then butt dropped and dove again. I can't do it anywhere near consistently, but man, it's a hell of a combination move. 

Finished with only 146 moons.  It feels way shorter than any 3D Mario game I can remember (never played either Galaxy) but (a) I've had less pure fun with 60-hour games that cost me the same and (b) I've done less than 20 percent of the obstacles, so it's likely to eat my lunch breaks for a while.

I've only encountered four bullshit moons: the two where you have to get a score of 100, the ruined kingdom rock that takes like 40 hits to break and the one where you have to fly a bullet bill across the damn desert.  They don't explain that you get just a little more distance if you shake the controller like a moron while also accelerating.  Holy jeez that killed my fucking hand.  Couldn't even do it with pro controller, had to use the joycons.  Those other moons share a common theme, unnecessary repetition.  They could've cut those numbers in fucking half.  The jumprope and volleyball don't even get faster after 50 so why have that be the halfway point and not the end? 

I finally started up the game. I am at the stage of my video game life that thinks like moons (and korok seeds) don't really matter to me, beyond getting what I need to get through the game. I don't mind they are there, completist need shit to do and I've seen some fun youtube videos of people trying to get some of the harder to reach moons, but I am pretty content not worrying about it. If I see one and the path to get to it doesn't seem rage-quity I will certainly grab it, but if I am missing a moon in a kingdom I'm not going to spend time finding it.

That being said, the game is very fun so far. Its that kind of mindless simple fun, I wouldn't rank it on Zelda's level (which I think is one of the best games I've ever played) but still a game I'd easily recommend.

The 2D moon down the well in the final kingdom is just frigging nuts.  The 2d texture moves back and forth, and if you walk outside it you pop out of the wall and fall to your death, so you have to avoid going too fast or two slow.  Then, after a Bullet Bill gauntlet and a climb, you hit a section I haven't passed where you stand on a wheel with the 2D sky rotating like a pinwheel.

Yeah on the circular 2D thing I found that aiming more like it was a clockface kept me from getting disoriented.  The 2D stuff has this wiggle thing that isn't in older marios that gives you a bit more air control.  It keeps you from overshooting on precision bits.

I am at 750 moons, but I don't know if I'll get all 880. 

Coming up, I am going to make repeated runs at the very last challenge until I win that sucker. Then, I think I'm just going to use a guide to find the last moons right up to the point that they make me jump rope or volley a ball a hundred times to get them. 

Fuuuuuuck, I hate those moons. My one criticism of this game is that even in 64 or Sunshine, it never felt like there were any stars/shines that were predicated on bullshit to earn. Not so with a handful of these moons in Odyssey. 

3 hours ago, BL88 said:

you haven't played sunshine recently enough

This also could be true because blue coin shines were the devil and also I don't want to play Sunshine ever again unless they fundamentally change some of it, which would make it a totally different game.