DVDVR Message Board

Super Mario Odyssey

SirSmUgly

I thought that I'd start a thread for this game since I didn't see one on the board. If I messed up, please lock this.

Anyway, I got through the prologue and got the ship running, and this game is already throwing tons of cool stuff out there. It's like they locked a bunch of designers in a room, fed them LSD, and then asked them for ideas for a new Mario game. 

I love it already, is what I'm saying. 

My main concern goin' in was the whole motion hat stuff.  Right when you start it says to try using the split joy-con style.  So I tried it.  I mean I use it all the time for every other game when I'm portable with a table.  Then I bopped over to the pro controller and you can do all the useful stuff exactly how you would intuitively translate it.  Short little boomerang swing.  The only move that doesn't seem to work is that zelda spin thing where the cap circles around you.  That move is unreliable with the joy-cons though.

'member how on Breath of the Wild they had all those shrines that looked the same?  Then they had all those seeds scattered everywhere?  This is like that but damn near everything is unique and awesome.  Throw the hat at everything.

Other than that I'm about to play this until I nod off and I've already put seven hours into it today.

The split joycons plays just like Wiimote and nunchuk for Super Mario Galaxy. It felt natural to me because I just got done playing those games a year or two ago. The motion stuff thankfully isn't too intrusive, and you can play without really using it and be alright. 

But yeah, they just threw a ton of moons around and let you figure out which way to navigate to them, and you have a ton of options because of the ability to capture things or to just jump your way over. 

I'm going to put in seven or eight hours tomorrow, I think. 

Already up to 97 moons as I travel to the fourth world. I've almost cleared out the very first level; I'm only six moons away from completing it, and I have all the special coins. 

This game loves to make you look behind the black to find secret moons. I've just started rote searches for secondary moons every time I go into a 2D section or a special room.

Glad to see the series go back to the Sunshine/64 way of doing things. I knocked out a good chunk of Galaxy 2 earlier this year and although the levels themselves are brilliantly put together, I found jumping from world to world very jarring and uncohesive. Felt like the game was less than the sum of it's parts. I replayed Sunshine over the summer and breezed through it, even though it's not (relatively) a critical darling it has this charm and atmospheric consistency that I'm already getting out of Odyssey. Maybe not AS much, but...

Big big big thumbs-up to the 2D sections. Every Mario game should go back to this, a damn near exact recreation of SMB1 is still very engaging and charming. Especially compared to that NSMB nonsense. Also A-OK with the Dual Joycon setup being the default, it feels like the Galaxy games and I'm cool with that. My main gripe is that some Moons are very easy to grab and some Moons aren't. Strange having to pull your hair out getting to the top of a high tower for one moon while others takes all of a hop-skip-and-a-jump to pick up.

Also it's not as good as BotW. But I think I'm gonna say that about every game I ever play from now on, so no big deal.

19 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Honestly don't get how the same company can make nine hundred moons mostly interesting (so far), but make nine hundred Korok seeds drudgery. 

Because the good stuff was saved for the shrines? 900 Korok Seeds is an impossible task accepted only by the mad. They were designed to be a fun little thing that were worth uncovering if you happened to stumble upon them, not the crux of the game's progression.

You just needed to find enough (100 or so) to get enough of the extra sword/bow/shield slots to have a good arsenal. You could likely get that many just by picking up rocks, finding those monuments with fruit sacrifices or rock circles. 

I didn't actually mean that last post as a direct response to John. I don't want to do too much comparison between the two games because they're trying to do two different things. BotW is more vast and desolate because Hyrule is in decline, for example. It's just that for me, I like that there is so much packed into these spaces in Odyssey. Not every moon is some kind of winner, of course, because Nintendo doesn't want to gate off most of the game from players who want to beat it without having to find too many difficult moons. However, the way that they hide moons in interesting places and have a fantastic mix of puzzle moons, platforming moons, and straight up "we hid this in a place that you wouldn't expect" moons is so good. I love walking into a world and having so many interesting things crammed into it. 

Why isn't that Uproot guy called Vineguy?  I'm calling him Vineguy and he needs 7 spinoff games.

Also this thing in the hole in the desert after you thaw the desert with the moving columns and bullet bill that's wearing a hat is driving me up the goddamned wall.   I ain't gonna watch no bullshit you tube video neither.  Hell, only reason I'm not playing right now is because I'm eating after work.

I am sitting on 123 moons and am now in my fifth world. I should stop playing and go to bed soon so that I can get up early enough to watch at least one PL game tomorrow, but it's so easy to tell myself "just one more moon" and then end up losing three hours. 

My God, I nearly lost my mind trying to do the hat room in Cap Kingdom that has the walls with the blue push boxes.  Not exaggerating at all when I say I died 25 times, easily.  WHY is there no checkpoint in there?

7 hours ago, EVA said:

My God, I nearly lost my mind trying to do the hat room in Cap Kingdom that has the walls with the blue push boxes.  Not exaggerating at all when I say I died 25 times, easily.  WHY is there no checkpoint in there?

Ditto. I did realize if you die on the upper level, don't try to land on the lower one or you will restart there instead of up top.

Also, I died a couple times trying to warp into the dinosaur in the dark woods only to have him repeatedly stomp on me.

I totally missed the dark woods thing, and I've decently covered the kingdom where I think that area is supposed to be. I'm still missing about fifteen moons there, so that explains most of it. 

I made it all the way to Metro Kingdom/New Donk City finally (not counting the warp that took me there for a single solitary moon earlier in the game), and I hear that it's the best Kingdom in the game by general consensus. Looking forward to it. 

Yooo, the New Donk City Festival is the best thing I've seen in games all year or maybe all generation, actually. It was so good that my brain released a bunch of dopamine the whole time that I was playing it and now I feel like I'm on a good buzz. 

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Weird question, but if my 7 year old did ok with Galaxy 2, would they have any trouble with this?

Your young one will be fine. Galaxy 2 is probably harder just to beat on balance; there are enough moons that are doable that he can probably beat the game without any help. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yooo, the New Donk City Festival is the best thing I've seen in games all year or maybe all generation, actually. It was so good that my brain released a bunch of dopamine the whole time that I was playing it and now I feel like I'm on a good buzz. 

I just finished this part and came here to post this exact thing.  New Donk City is so much fun and that Festival was amazing.