DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXX

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, nate said:

I watched the gif of hHh walking into the display screen, and given his Flair flop after the main, I suddenly think that the display screen thing was on purpose.

Don't mean to be rude but, well yeah of course it was.

While I'm here, I was surprised there was very little outside interference in the main. Was expecting Jordan and Kane to get involved.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

I love that Roman Reigns, super great worker who is not super old, has become the worst case scenario including having Brock continue his unbelievably boring intermitant run.  My favorite was when smarks cheered Triple H and Vince against him.  OH NO, don't give me good matches on a weekly basis.  BOO HOO.  

God if they had just put Braun over.  If only.

With Stephanie and HHH back, nobody has a shot at going over except for them.

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I thought the same thing. I thought AJ should have kicked out of that F-5, it should have taken atleast 2 F-5's to put AJ down . I also thought it should have took like 5 F-5's to take Braun down.

There’s a happy medium they could have settled on, which is that Brock could have delivered two F5s in a row before going for a cover. Much like how Cena’s elimination earlier was softened by a finsher spam.

4 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Speaking of Roman...that super Shield triple powerbomb was gnarly. Did they ever use that before? 

Nope. First time.

I was super into their first run, so I'm fairly confident in this answer. Like 95% sure. If you want more certainty than that, I'm sure some people were watching much closer on Tumblr. 

6 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

Brock-AJ was good. Can't fault Styles' ethic and approach. He makes it feel real and good. I think Brock's general standing is falling and it should be approaching time where someone beats him clean for the rub.

Flair-Bliss was so goddamn long.

To your first point above, I'm glad to see that someone else thinks so too. Brock did show that he can go when he wants to, it's just been a couple or three years since he's apparently given a shit. A.J. continues to show why he's the greatest of his generation.

Flair-Bliss wasn't really that long, it just seemed long because of the ridiculous way it was booked with Lady Hornswoggle getting in far too much offense against an opponent that towers over her by nearly a foot. Yeah, I never griped about the small size of Rey Mysterio jr., but Alexa Bliss is no Rey Mysterio jr.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, We Are The Robots said:

Don't mean to be rude but, well yeah of course it was.

While I'm here, I was surprised there was very little outside interference in the main. Was expecting Jordan and Kane to get involved.

I've just been seeing in some places people thinking that it's a legit foul-up.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

To your first point above, I'm glad to see that someone else thinks so too. Brock did show that he can go when he wants to, it's just been a couple or three years since he's apparently given a shit. A.J. continues to show why he's the greatest of his generation.

Flair-Bliss wasn't really that long, it just seemed long because of the ridiculous way it was booked with Lady Hornswoggle getting in far too much offense against an opponent that towers over her by nearly a foot. Yeah, I never griped about the small size of Rey Mysterio jr., but Alexa Bliss is no Rey Mysterio jr.

Rey Mysterio also worked to his size. He did not go around beating guys with knock out punches. Or even Taz as a heel in ECW had to capitalize on mistakes to beat much bigger dudes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Rey Mysterio also worked to his size. He did not go around beating guys with knock out punches. Or even Taz as a heel in ECW had to capitalize on mistakes to beat much bigger dudes. 

I don't get this complaint about Alexa Bliss. Charlotte is 9 inches taller and it's unfathomable that Alexa could punch her and knock her out because she's shorter? What? Bayley is 5 inches taller than Alexa, and she can't KO her with a punch to the jaw? Rey Rey facing someone like Great Khali or Undertaker isn't the same thing as Alexa Bliss going up against women who are only a few inches taller than her. Not in this universe or any other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I don't get this complaint about Alexa Bliss. Charlotte is 9 inches taller and it's unfathomable that Alexa could punch her and knock her out because she's shorter? What? Bayley is 5 inches taller than Alexa, and she can't KO her with a punch to the jaw? Rey Rey facing someone like Great Khali or Undertaker isn't the same thing as Alexa Bliss going up against women who are only a few inches taller than her. Not in this universe or any other.

Bingo.

A better comparison would be Rey (5'6") fighting someone like CM Punk (6'2")

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:22 PM, Casey said:

Well lets look at the fictional universe of wrestling, which I hate putting it like that. Undertaker and Great Khali (who killed Rey dead BTW) are not the comparison, the example here would be Rey vs Edge or Rey vs Randy Orton. Neither are power houses but do have significant size advantages and the matches are worked accordingly. That would be equivalent to Bayley or Charlotte. 

Now we mix in that Alexa is a heel. A heel does not always have to be weak or cowardly. But in the case of Alexa, she should be cowardly and conniving. Her beating a good gal clean makes them look like shit. 

Now Asuka is not significantly bigger than Alexa, but she does have the gimmick of being a great striker. It was not pulled out of the blue. 

In any case it is probably not Alexa's fault, I doubt she has any control over the endings to her matches. 

• Like 1

I dug Brock/AJ a lot. Both guys were motivated and the crowd was into it the whole time despite a couple awkward spots. I really hope Brock goes back to being a striker/ground-n-pound guy first and using the suplexes more judiciously as he did here for effect. Thank goodness they came to their senses enough to get Jinder out of this match.

Unfortunately they didn't come to their senses to book a decent main event. Outside of Braun, everyone came out looking worse than they went in. Cena didn't look like he gave a shit at all, Angle's washed-up-ness was exposed without booking the whole match around his limitations, Shane (who should be booked as in way over his head) looked even too ineffectual for my tastes, and even HHH looked like a dope unbecoming of his cerebral assassin moniker. Balor/Roode/Nak/Joe being afterthoughts goes without saying. I'm not sure it's mathematically possible to book a 10-man match where all 10 guys look bad just because someone has to at least get the win, but booking a 10-man match where 9 look bad is pretty damn impressive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, quackhell said:

As my eyes glazed over during the later portions of the main I fantasized about William Regal leading an NXT assault on the remaining people in the ring and laying out everyone to show which brand is truly the best. 

I want William Regal Knee Tremblers like Sting with the Scorpion Deathdrop on the n.W.o. and Steve Austin Stunners vs. the Alliance on the RAW go home show for Invasion 2001.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There are tiny moments in these episodes where I just know their split is inevitable.  And that will be a sad day.  But then the reunion special will be fuckin fabulous.

Oh, and Lady Bearica's Shawn Michaels eyes have never been more prominently on display.

• Like 1

So does this take the honors as being the worst PPV main event this year?  The Punjabi Prison match is the only thing I could think of that was a bigger pile, but this match was terrible despite featuring some talented guys and also felt like a lot bigger fuck you to the fans.

12 hours ago, quackhell said:

As my eyes glazed over during the later portions of the main I fantasized about William Regal leading an NXT assault on the remaining people in the ring and laying out everyone to show which brand is truly the best. 

Regal and Paul Ellering leading the way for the Undisputed Era, AoP, Roderick Strong, and Sanity to lay waste to the main event would have been fantastic. Sure, it would have made no sense for continuity reasons, but when has that ever stopped WWE before?

• Like 1

I would say the main at Survivor Series was worse. We all knew the Punjabi Prison match was gonna be shit. I had really high hopes for the elimination tag match, and the match didn't come within spitting distance of those hopes. So for me, Punjabi Prison was only the second worst match of the year