DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXX

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

I thought they did an NXT chant when Balor and Nakamura went at it

They did. Then, right as the announcers started to talk about, they switched to “New Japan”, which the commentary team did not see fit to mention. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well what did you think of the match. AJ's bumping..  out of this world..    Brock's selling on the leg after the reversal into the calf crusher,   very good. Stiff shots from both guys.   I'm not calling it MOTY or anything but I loved it.  It's too bad that it was too predictable.  

Baby in arms but here is what I said in the moment on PWO. Expanded thoughts tomorrow:

"All I've seen is AJ vs Brock and I enjoyed it a ton. I loved the use of the leg not as an end unto itself but as a means to open up to AJ's totally credible other offense. An equalizer. I wish it had gone a few more minutes, but I get that they're rehabbing the F5 and I think, at this point, it's absolutely worked. Next time Brock hits it, I think match is over. They used the suplexes far more smartly and sparingly than in any other Brock match for a couple of years. And the "escape" from the calf crusher was the best thing I've seen in WWE since the Sasha escape a couple of years ago. I really liked that match."

Reminded me of a match vs early 90s Hansen. Later on wondered if the toned down # of Germans was due to Angle's presence in the main.

• Like 3

That was a really good ppv until the main event. Jesus Christ, that was a fucking mess. The only thing that made any sense was Sami and Kevin attacking Shane. Nice to see Nakamura, Roode, Joe, and Balor treated like afterthoughts. The less said about the announcing, the better. Was that a Freudian slip on Michael Cole's part; calling HHH Stephanie's wife? He was so quick to correct it that Vince had to be all up in his ass. Best part of the main event was the NXT and New Japan chants. 

• Like 2

Well... we shouldn't let the oddness of the main event distract from the fact that this was a pretty good show top to bottom.

I really liked the opener. Nobody had any reason to buy New Day as being in the Shield's league, but they did a good job of having them look strong in defeat. Semi-main was pretty good too, probably the best AJ Styles match I've ever seen.

Tremendously impressed that in a year with Jinder on top for months and months they were able to contrive something as unappealing and uninteresting as a 3-on-1 with two 48 year olds and a monster on one side and a barely-in-shape 47 year old housedad on the other. Part of me thinks they've never quite reached this level of direness. Not a lot comes to mind. Diesel vs Mabel in 95? Diesel vs Hunter in 2012? It is uniquely dreadful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That main event was a thing, but at least we got Brock vs. AJ for the first time ever and it was fantastic. Unfortunately we probably won’t be getting it again for a long time, if ever.

After Nak and Roode were eliminated, I realized it was Cena, Orton, and Shane left on Team SDL. So it would've either been those three fighting the odds to give SDL the win, or RAW winning in a glorified squash and truly showing that SDL is in fact the B Show. That is when I lost all interest in the main event. 

It was a darn good show up to that point, too. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nate said:

And Angle. ... sweet Jesus, dude looks like that weird position I'd have to put my action figures in when they wouldn't stand up on their own.  Looked like my old Clawful figure.

They should drill holes in the bottom of kurt's feet. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

If I can offer one defense of the main event, it's that the early portion of the match did a nice job of giving fans a taste of some of the matchups that they really wanted to see.  Finn/Nak, Nak/HHH, HHH/Roode, Joe/Cena were all way over and delivered just the right amount for this type of match.  Even going back to Cena/Angle was a good idea, even if Angle's current condition just made it kinda sad more than anything.

• Like 1

This was a fun, fun event to be at, even if the main made so little sense. AJ/Lesnar was so good. And I saw mention of the announcers ignoring the New Japan chants - I'm wondering if the Angle/Roode "TNA" chants even made it to TV.

War Games was better, but this was a blast.

Biggest pop of the night was, easily, Josh Reddick.

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Why exactly was Braun angry with Triple H? Was he that much of a team player that he became infuriated with Trips turning on Angle? 

Hunter tagged himself in and basically told Braun to go sit in the corner, at least that's how I interpreted the whole thing. Braun just staring at him for a minute without doing anything was really awkward like they missed a cue or something.