DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXX

Dolfan in NYC

I don't understand the logic behind "the network shows don't have to be good.."  

If the PPVs suck, what other reason is there (besides old school stuff and NXT yes but still...)  to stick around as a subscriber?   I personally know a few people who subbed and are now out.  That means WWE isn't getting their $9.99  anymore. 

To me giving away all these matches on RAW makes zero sense.  RAW has already hit bottom I think.  They average between 2.5 and 3.1 million viewers.  They reach the high side of that number when something big happens like a Vince appearance or when Braun was feuding with Reigns etc.  They reach the low end when it's a holiday or there is a big football/basketball game. RAW is always going to be within that strike zone.  

By the WWE’s own words - they only care about driving subscriptions to the Network

So you would think they would save the Shield reunion match for one of their big 4 PPVs to drive that number up

• Like 1

I suspect WWE's way of thinking is having top matches on USA will increase ratings. And fans will pay $9.99 monthly just to see  PPVs, anyway. We can debate whether that's smart or logical, but I believe that's the gist of it. I sort of get it with the TV deal generating most of their income, despite TV ratings becoming nearly meaningless in determining growth.

Neither way is ideal. Save matches, and drive TV ratings into the ground which USA will hold against them. Don't save matches, and give fans no reason to subscribe to the network.

This is just TNA levels of of WWE thinking about their product. They know what they have to do, they will even speak about what they have to do, but their actions are totally contradictory.

4 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

To think, people are actually complaining about getting good matches. Unless you're a WWE accountant or major shareholder...who cares? Did you want to slog through another exciting 205Live promo to end the show? :rolleyes:

Good matches with good build are better?

It has been built up since before the last PPV...The Shield have been feuding with The Bar and Miz for months now.  That's basically the match they were building for the last PPV that Reigns missed anyway, just add Strowman & Kane + shenanigans.  I think they're right to run it now to recapture some eyeballs, especially while MNF ratings are low. 

In other Survivor Series news - PW Insider is going back on their initial report on the 5th member of the RAW's women's team so who knows

And Enzo/Kalisto will be the kickoff match

I suspect most WWE Network subscribers will do what I do, which is subscribe only from Rumble to Mania. There are other ways to watch PPVs online of course.

WWE's biggest problem is they are so afraid to create new stars after being burned by past stars. They never get behind a wrestler enough to make the secondary shows seem important. But this has been said a million times already. I hope the entire 10 man tag is just about making Braun look unstoppable, to really build a star.

Since I did the math for the RAW thread

The Survivor Series Main Event

48/48/38/34/36 (RAW) vs. 47/37/40/37/40 (SDL)

The mean for the match is 40 1/2 years old

Braun at 34 is the youngest person in the match and (obviously) the only one under 35

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

If they want to make me happy they will just let Asuka or Nia Jax be Aja Kong 2.0 and run through the entire Smackdown team without tagging in anyone on the RAW side.

Every time I try to imagine this, Graham Chapman in a military suit and big bushy 'stache steps in says, "No, move along, we can't 'ave none of that."

Spoiler

With Charlotte winning the SD Women's Title, that leaves a spot open on the Survivor Series team. I could see Natalya coming out on Sunday thinking she's a part of the team, but being told by Becky that Natalya is not on the team and that she got somebody else to take Charlotte's place. And that is how Paige returns to the roster.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

If they want to make me happy they will just let Asuka or Nia Jax be Aja Kong 2.0 and run through the entire Smackdown team without tagging in anyone on the RAW side.

I'm hoping they are last two just running roughshod over the SDL women.

5 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:
  Hide contents

With Charlotte winning the SD Women's Title, that leaves a spot open on the Survivor Series team. I could see Natalya coming out on Sunday thinking she's a part of the team, but being told by Becky that Natalya is not on the team and that she got somebody else to take Charlotte's place. And that is how Paige returns to the roster.

This one seems pretty obvious to me.

Spoiler

I think Paige is supposed to be on SDL anyways so I'm not sure where the rumors of her returning to join the Raw women's team ever came from.

7 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:
  Hide contents

There's a part of me that thinks it could be Ember Moon. Can't see her winning the NXT title, Takeover could be her send-off, followed by Becky recruiting her as the only person to take Asuka to the limit

But then after Survivor Series you have her on a different brand than her main rival playing 4th fiddle face behind Becky/Charlotte/Naomi.

So I was doing the quick logic and the potential folks who could turn/cost folks in the Survivor Series matches is lengthy

MEN

• Kane - costs Braun
  • Jason Jordan - costs HHH (obvious). costs Angle (less obvious)
  • Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn - costs the whole Smackdown team
  • Daniel Bryan - costs the whole Smackdown team
  • Samoa Joe/Finn Balor - cost each other (or one just costs the other to get eliminated)
  • Randy Orton - because Randy Orton
  • Rusev - entire SDL team or specifically Shane
  • Bray Wyatt - costs someone the match just because he has nothing else going on and they need to start a feud
  • Big Show - because it wouldn't be a Survivor Series without Show turning on someone

WOMEN

• Nattie - turns on SDL... again
  • James Ellsworth - costs Carmella... or someone on RAW's side helping Carmella
  • Dana Brooke - costs Asuka. Yes the WWE is that stupid
  • Charlotte - costs Carmella... especially if Carmella cashes in MITB earlier
  • Sasha Banks/Bayley - costs RAW the match (depending on who Vince decides that day is turning heel)
  • Paige - costs someone... depends on what side they put her on

I am positive I am forgetting folks

• Like 1