DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 119: Brunson vs. Machida (10/28/2017) - São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Elsalvajeloco

Poster_for_UFC_Fight_Night_Brunson_vs._M

UFC Fight Night 119: Brunson vs. Machida 
October 28, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera) 

Derrick Brunson (185) vs. Lyoto Machida (185) - Brunson, KO (punches), R1 (2:30)
Demian Maia (171) vs. Colby Covington (171) - Covington, DEC (unanimous)
Pedro Munhoz (136) vs. Rob Font (136) - Munhoz, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:03)
Francisco Trinaldo (155) vs. Jim Miller (155) - Trinaldo, DEC (unanimous)
Thiago Santos (186) vs. Jack Hermansson (185) - Santos, TKO (punches), R1 (4:59)
John Lineker (136) vs. Marlon Vera (135) - Lineker, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Vicente Luque (171) vs. Niko Price (171) - Luque, SUB (d'arce choke), R2 (4:08)
Antônio Carlos Júnior (185) vs. Jack Marshman (186) - Carlos Júnior, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:30)
Hacran Dias (155) vs. Jared Gordon (156) - Gordon, DEC (unanimous)
Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Max Griffin (171) - Dos Santos, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Deiveson Alcântara (126) vs. Jarred Brooks (125) - Alcântara, DEC (unanimous)
Christian Colombo (258) vs. Marcelo Golm (242) - Golm, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:08)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Pedro Munhoz
Performance of the Night: Derek Brunson
Fight of the Night: Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Max Griffin

Attendance: 10,265
Rating: 588,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov - Bout Moved to Another Card 
Christian Colombo vs. Carlos Felipe - Felipe Flagged by USADA After Testing Positive for Stanozolol 
Augusto Mendes vs. Boston Salmon - Injury to Mendes (Leg) 
Niko Price vs. Luan Chagas - Injury to Chagas (Broken Foot)
Boston Salmon vs. Raoni Barcelos - Injury to Salmon (Knee) 

I just listened to a co-worker rail on about how boring of a fighter he felt that Shoe Face was.

His line of logic was almost identical to the "winners win by executing their own game plans" stuff he uses all of the time to defend Tyron Woodley.

Speaking of Shoe Face, I thought that Brunson agreed to fight AC Jr, after getting called out by Shoe Face after AC Jr.'s win at UFC 212.  What happened?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I just listened to a co-worker rail on about how boring of a fighter he felt that Shoe Face was.

His line of logic was almost identical to the "winners win by executing their own game plans" stuff he uses all of the time to defend Tyron Woodley.

Speaking of Shoe Face, I thought that Brunson agreed to fight AC Jr, after getting called out by Shoe Face after AC Jr.'s win at UFC 212.  What happened?

If he is against a fighter who isn't very good on the ground, he is going to get that guy outta there quick.

When he was on TUF Brazil at heavyweight, he was knocking folks out and subbing people. The problem is regional MMA in Brazil is like showcase city for anyone with a modicum of skill. Not saying that it's not like that stateside, but the typical fighters who have made their bones in Brazil aren't really hard to figure out. For instance, he fought Vitor Miranda in the finals of that season. Vitor Miranda ultimately dropped down to middleweight after being a borderline HW and LHW in kickboxing and MMA. Moreover, Miranda is still pretty much the same fighter at 185 as he was as a heavier fighter. He will give you a solid fight and give a decent account of himself, but if you're a C or C+ fighter, you should be able to beat him especially if you know how to grapple. I like Vitor Miranda because he was a staple of Brazilian fighting post vale tudo ban, but that's his career in a nutshell.

Cara do Sapato's problem is just that: dropping down two weight classes doesn't account for the fact that middleweight is better than heavyweight especially regional Brazilian heavyweight caliber. Barely in many cases, but better is still better. So unless he is fighting an Eddie Gordon (who he probably outweighed by 20-30 pounds on fight night), Leonardo Leleco, or Eric Spicely who is good on the ground but not world class level, it's going to be a war of attrition until he gasses trying to get the fight to the ground or he finally gets a submission. The talent level at 185 is just high enough to where he can't look as well rounded as he did on TUF Brazil. Plus, I don't think training at ATT really gels with his game. I'm pretty sure he is helping everyone get better with jiu-jitsu, but the relationship is not all that mutual judging by the lack of improvement in his standup. He is probably a little better, but still way behind where he would need to be to break into the top 10.

As for why he isn't fighting Brunson, I would say that it would be way too soon for CdS to have that fight. I mean he should sub Jack Marshman easily, but the UFC probably needs to see where he would potentially be in terms of being a worthy investment. Daniel Kelly is a tough out in some cases, but he should've won that fight handily. That was more embarrassing for him than other guys losing to Dan Kelly and a setback, but that's what it should have been. You can't lose that fight and expect to make a run towards contendership with a few wins. You have to reestablish yourself. Kevin Lee lost to Leo Santos because he was showboating and still needed to rack up impressive win after impressive win to get in position just to challenge for an interim title. Cara do Sapato has to make a really big impression in order to put himself up there and get fights with the best middleweights.

• Like 1

I would also add: Looking at the middleweight matchup on the main card, I would not be surprised if Cara do Sapato subbed either Marreta or Jack Hermansson within a round. However, I wouldn't also be surprised if he got slept stone cold by either guy if he fought them. That's where he is at in his career. He is basically a better, upgraded version of Vinny Magalhaes in MMA except his chin isn't that bad from what we've seen and his jiu-jitsu/submission grappling credentials aren't as deep. He also has that long, awkward jiu-jitsu player physique that hasn't really translated well for certain guys even with the emergence of a Demian Maia. Maia himself is only that successful because he is otherworldly. It didn't translated well for Roger Gracie and competition wise, he's probably the best to ever do it. Didn't translate well for many of the recent Gracie kinfolk for that matter. It didn't translate well for Antonio Braga Neto when he was active (FWIW he's returning from a three and a half year absence to fight Trevin Giles on the Fresno card). He has to compensate for a lack of athleticism, and I think that's what's going to hurt him in certain style matchups.

• Like 1

Gotta watch for those overhand lefts, Lyoto.

But anyway, good performance from Brunson after starting slow. I would be down for Rockhold vs. Brunson. If Brunson can bring that power, Rockhold has got to stay honest.

Also...I like how Cormier is forcing dudes to cut promos and call people out post fight after making numerous wrestling references. Isn't Covington on Impact w/ Dan Lambert and the gang? I'm surprised Cormier didn't mention that.

• Like 1

I think it depends on if Brunson is looping his shots. Even though that counter overhand left got the ball rolling for him against Machida, it wasn't a sharp, tight counter. Machida just one side of his body completely open. However, the followup shots were all on the money 100%. Wild, big shot Derek Brunson can win fights and definitely catch people, but it also can be his downfall as we saw with the Whittaker fight. If he can hurt Rockhold one or two times, he should play it the same as when got Machida rocked. Don't rush in and run into a counter shot. I mean earlier tonight Marreta basically ran at Hermansson throwing hockey potshots after Hermansson got stunned. At a certain level, you can't really do that and I think Rockhold presents enough firepower where Brunson can't be too deliberate himself. If Brunson can trapped Rockhold against the cage, Rockhold might be in for a short night.