DVDVR Message Board

WWE TLC 2017 POSTSHOW THREAD (aka the one where everyone got sick)

RIPPA

18 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

No she isn't. Emma is the female Dolph Ziggler, only Dolph has had a good match more recently.

His last good match was one year ago this Friday. Her last good match was about 4 and a half hours ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

And this is why Asuka's doomed to fail on the main roster in a nutshell.

The whole problem with "She can't lose to this person, they're BENEATH HER!" is what's going to make sure that when Asuka loses, that first loss is going to destroy her aura and she'll just be ruined by it. 

Or they cheat or be cowardly heels. or maintain that aura. I mean for fuck's sake why can't Asuka be exactly what she is? She is better. We know she is better. Until WWE hires Meiko Satomura, Awesome Kong, Io Shirai, and the entirety of Stardom, she is going to be heads and tails better. What is with this fucking parity ego of making sure no one is unique? Asuka has earned that aura of being a badass. Sorry, if I do not buy that Bliss could beat her clean or should as long as she keeps acting green as grass. Does Braun Stroman lose to Bo Dallas? Fuck no. 

Look, Asuka/Kana earned that aura the moment she stepped in a WWE women's division that has been devoid of Joshi styled wrestlers for 15+ years. The women's division just got out of the whole butterfly belt diva bullshit and Asuka is Michael Jordan in a league where the second best team is the Nationals. I can eyeball test it just in how she performs versus everyone else on the roster that she is clearly better. Yes, she will lose, but that lost has to be to someone on her level and as much as I love Bliss, it ain't her. It isn't Nia. And it damn sure is not Bayley...anymore. 

Asuka did not start out as this unstoppable beast either. She just kept gaining momentum and kept winning. Matches became more and more one sided with the exception of a few wrestlers. If she went to Smackdown it would be less of a problem because I can see Naomi, Charlotte, Natayla, or Becky Lynch beating her clean. But the Raw roster? Sasha. And that is about it.

• Thanks 1

I didn't think there was a really bad match on the show, really.  I thought Kalisto/Enzo was the worst match of the night but that was still decent.  The main event dragged at times and it went by the books (Oh no, Kurt is being helped to the back!  I wonder what will happen five minutes before the end of the match!) but I still enjoyed it for the chaotic hot mess it was.

Loved to hear how hot the crowd was for the cruiserweight tag match.   Let's strap the rocket on Cedric... or hell with it, give Ced and Swann a tag team title shot.

Also: has anybody recovered Braun's mangled corpse from the back of that garbage truck yet?  He's been murdered on camera twice in three months now.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY... AGAIN!

Finally finished the ppv.

Thought all three women's matches were solid to really good. Emma's match with Asuka is the best she has looked in WWE and way more enjoyable than their NXT matches where Emma inexplicably dominated much of the matches. The way the match played out was perfectly fine. Emma got in a decent amount of offense in somewhat smart manners that made her look good while still looking out of her league. This was a perfectly fine debut. Anyone looking for a full blown squash is maybe into Asuka a little too deep. The only jobber types in either women's division are Dana and Lana.

AJ/Finn was great. The too sweet gesture at the end was a nice gimme to the fans. Even w/o the recent Bullet Club nonsense they have been waiting for Finn to do that with one of the former BC members for over a year now.

The main event was too damn long but still had plenty of fun moments. Braun's team turning on him felt weird. Honestly I was hoping he and Kane would just destroy everything in their path to destroy each other. Still will be interesting if it leads to a proper face turn for Braun. Overall it was a fun mess that I can't help but think would have been a better one with Roman.

Dug the show overall.

That main event was wild but kind of fun. Loved all Angle spots seeing him back in the ring. They really love that "take a guy out of a multi man match with an injury only to come back to win" spot. Angle hinted on Raw Talk that there could be more matches down the line so that's cool. Even if it was ridiculous that the Shield still won after all that, guess there's definitely no 5 on 5 other than Raw vs SDL again. Balor/Styles was real good but thought it could've used a bit more time.

Womens matches were all quite solid. Loved Alexa/Mickie, thought that was very good. Pleasantly surprised Asuka/Emma wasn't a squash. As a huge fan of their Takeover London match, I didn't expect much but what we got was good. Hope Emma continues to get more of a chance to shine. Thought the preshow was a nice showcase for Alicia Fox for a change. Seemed stupid to even do the cruiserweight title change off Enzo to begin with.

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The cynical part of me says they purposely had AJ and Balor do the too sweet at the end of the match just to rustle The Bullet Club's jimmies. 

The irony being that doing so generates about a million times more publicity for the Bullet Club than a WWE writer's Instagram ever could.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yes, I'm forbidding you from challenging an opinion because I totally have the authority to do that.  :lol: Get fuckin' real. Your snarkiness is the prototypical smart fan, assuming I only watch WWE. Good job!

I didn't have too much of an issue with the main event but if it was The Shield or even those two with Angle against the 5 heels and it was simple booking, lots of spots without all the swerve bullshit and the garbage truck etc.  it would have been a lot better. Something like The Shield's debut TLC or their matches with the Wyatts or even that Survivor Series match a year or two ago that was an hour long. 

1 hour ago, Kyuubi said:

Or they cheat or be cowardly heels. or maintain that aura. I mean for fuck's sake why can't Asuka be exactly what she is? She is better. We know she is better. Until WWE hires Meiko Satomura, Awesome Kong, Io Shirai, and the entirety of Stardom, she is going to be heads and tails better. What is with this fucking parity ego of making sure no one is unique? Asuka has earned that aura of being a badass. Sorry, if I do not buy that Bliss could beat her clean or should as long as she keeps acting green as grass. Does Braun Stroman lose to Bo Dallas? Fuck no. 

Look, Asuka/Kana earned that aura the moment she stepped in a WWE women's division that has been devoid of Joshi styled wrestlers for 15+ years. The women's division just got out of the whole butterfly belt diva bullshit and Asuka is Michael Jordan in a league where the second best team is the Nationals. I can eyeball test it just in how she performs versus everyone else on the roster that she is clearly better. Yes, she will lose, but that lost has to be to someone on her level and as much as I love Bliss, it ain't her. It isn't Nia. And it damn sure is not Bayley...anymore. 

Asuka did not start out as this unstoppable beast either. She just kept gaining momentum and kept winning. Matches became more and more one sided with the exception of a few wrestlers. If she went to Smackdown it would be less of a problem because I can see Naomi, Charlotte, Natayla, or Becky Lynch beating her clean. But the Raw roster? Sasha. And that is about it.

But even that ties to the problem- once you bring talent into the mix for "But they CAN'T LOSE to her, they're BENEATH HER!"- then even cheating or being cowardly heels would not maintain that aura. Just the loss itself would destroy her aura dead because she'd have lost to someone she couldn't possibly come back from.

Right now, the "aura" of Asuka's at the point where fighting a woman, no matter HOW it happens-  would be beyond "a fair loss", beyond "it's going  to kill her aura", and into "It's a fucking comedy segment. See, it's FUNNY because Asuka LOST TO this person- and that's funny because she'd NEVER lose to them in a million years!"...and when that happens, Asuka's aura of a badass would be dead. Forever...and it would happen in large part because of reactions like this, and demanding the first loss has to be someone on her level...while saying "no woman on earth is on her level. And honestly, no MAN on earth is on her level either. So, make first contact so Asuka can fight an alien or let Asuka go undefeated forever and squash the whole roster like a bug until the earth has been as salted as the NXT women are now."...and that won't work because eventually she WILL lose, she will lose to someone beneath her- and when it happens that aura dissipates.

Keeping this opinion of "But, she can't lose, it's BENEATH HER!" is going to be what kills Asuka on the main roster- and this time it won't be the evil Vince McBoogeyman doing it, it'll be your own damn fault. 

I know we are invested in Asuka's streak and invincibility but unfortunately NXT is not Earth-616.  What happens there will be referenced from time to time but in the long run RAW and SDL will operate the way they always do.  

I watch WWE weekly. I keep watching because of nights like Hell in a Cell or the intriguing matches like AJ/Balor this evening. Booking has been very hit or miss, sometimes terrible for over a decade. It's 95% certain that Asuka will be JAW in the near future. She'll have her title reigns but they will play hot potato.  Alexa will cheat some victories.  That's what they do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Critts said:

What was with the commentary on this show? I barely watch RAW but why would Booker T and Michael Cole be fan of Elias and did Booker and Corey Graves do a double turn during the main event? 

It was a fun show but the commentary was brutal.

Yeah, I don't know if it was my imagination or I'm used to skipping through the weekly shows, but the commentary seemed atrocious tonight. Graves playing face to Booker's heel in the main event was just terrible (in a role that really should have been the strangely-silent Cole), and their constant blurring of the lines between who is the face/heel commentator isn't smart. With Cole, the voice of the WWE, loudly supporting Elias, it sends a mixed message to fans on whether or not they should be supporting someone like Jason Jordan - someone whose push they've already mishandled from the start. Doesn't do him any favors.

35 minutes ago, Victator said:

He needs to be carrying a piece of the truck. 

He needs to be shown walking into RAW oblivious to the fact that the truck is being dragged behind him stuck to his belt.

• Like 8

I fell asleep right at the beginning of Balor/Styles(because I am old), but the two things I remember were that I am loving heel Enzo and I'm sorry I keep beating this dead horse, but Enzo us a much better heel than the Miz. 

Also, I spent what time I saw of the ppv fixated on Booker's annunciation. He reminds me of Mike Myers doing on if his stodgy English Man impersonations.