DVDVR Message Board

WWE TLC 2017 POSTSHOW THREAD (aka the one where everyone got sick)

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They did basically the same thing with her in NXT, though they had Dana to help explain that.

Emma was also being booked as a legit badass in NXT at that point.

As opposed to being a total jobber on Raw because she didn't want to be Emmalina.

Just now, sydneybrown said:

No, I get the history.  She should have slaughtered her so people who didn't know who she was would get it.  But nope.  When you are against type, gotta EARN that shit... 

I wouldn't  have problem with it if the would not job out Emma so bad, she's too good for the way they use her.

• Like 1

What a bizarre, but fun main event. Kurt looks even more like a serial killer in swat gear. 

Asuka needed to squash Emma. 

AJ/Finn was awesome. The Bullet Club curtain call needed Gallows & Anderson. Are they on the SD tour?

Nice to see Cedric, Swann, Gallagher, and Kendrick get some shine on the main card rather than the pre-show. Cedric and Swann should be in the tag division on either Raw or SD.

I really enjoyed Mickie and Alexa. It's too bad their feud got dragged down by the stupid "Mickie is old" stuff. I wouldn't mind another match between them down the road.

Count me in the (probably small) group that didn't like super Auska. I never got the notion of why she should be so invincible. I know that she had to slow down for a good chunk of her NXT run due to who she was working with but the matches she had where to booking was more even (the NXT Emma match, the Ember matches, the match with Nikki) really pulled me in. So I really dug this match.

• Like 1

What was with the commentary on this show? I barely watch RAW but why would Booker T and Michael Cole be fan of Elias and did Booker and Corey Graves do a double turn during the main event? 

It was a fun show but the commentary was brutal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Count me in the (probably small) group that didn't like super Auska. I never got the notion of why she should be so invincible. I know that she had to slow down for a good chunk of her NXT run due to who she was working with but the matches she had where to booking was more even (the NXT Emma match, the Ember matches, the match with Nikki) really pulled me in. So I really dug this match.

That Liv Morgan match did it for me.  Liv challenged her and she got absolutely slaughtered in a minute.  That was the match where Asuka went from 50/50 to "you're not ready."

2 minutes ago, Critts said:

What was with the commentary on this show? I barely watch RAW but why would Booker T and Michael Cole be fan of Elias and did Booker and Corey Graves do a double turn during the main event? 

It was a fun show but the commentary was brutal.

OMG, Booker T literally said in the preshow "Alicia Fox....you guys remember a wrestler called The Missing Link?"  And Cole and Graves just lost it.  

11 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

OMG, Booker T literally said in the preshow "Alicia Fox....you guys remember a wrestler called The Missing Link?"  And Cole and Graves just lost it.  

I'm convinced these days Booker just makes jokes and commentary to see how much ends up on Botchamania. He's ran with the whole "looking jacked" thing since it showed up there.

11 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That Liv Morgan match did it for me.  Liv challenged her and she got absolutely slaughtered in a minute.  That was the match where Asuka went from 50/50 to "you're not ready."

Even then, matches like tonight will keep Asuka valid for far longer than squashes.

It cannot be stressed enough:

One day, Asuka WILL LOSE.

And since the women are seen as "you're not ready" and WWE isn't doing intergender? Asuka's going to lose to someone that you consider BENEATH HER. 

And right now, because of "You are not ready?" Even Asuka losing to Nia Jax, the biggest monstress in the division, by Nia Jax cheating, and every woman on Raw, Smackdown, and NXT jumping her before the match- that match would STILL be seen as the equivalent of Brock Lesnar losing to James Ellsworth clean- a match where you just CANNOT COME BACK FROM with your aura intact. 

The only way to stop that  from happening and keep Asuka over for the future when she DOES lose, is to make matches like this so that eventually the other women are seen as in her league- and when one day, she does lose, it won't nuke her aura.

• Like 4

I think if Asuka lost to a Naomi,  Bayley,  Sasha Banks etc.  there wouldn't be too much backlash.  Charlotte is believable but with the Flair name (and push) there will be backlash.  If it is Alexa there will be quite a bit of backlash because she's just "ok" in the ring and she has a big push going. 

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even then, matches like tonight will keep Asuka valid for far longer than squashes.

And since the women are seen as "you're not ready" and WWE isn't doing intergender? Asuka's going to lose to someone that you consider BENEATH HER. 

And right now, because of "You are not ready?" Even Asuka losing to Nia Jax, the biggest monstress in the division, by Nia Jax cheating, and every woman on Raw, Smackdown, and NXT jumping her before the match- that match would STILL be seen as the equivalent of Brock Lesnar losing to James Ellsworth clean- a match where you just CANNOT COME BACK FROM with your aura intact. 

The only way to stop that  from happening and keep Asuka over for the future when she DOES lose, is to make matches like this so that eventually the other women are seen as in her league- and when one day, she does lose, it won't nuke her aura.

Yeah, I think this a great point and I'm with it 100%. If Asuka immediately gets dumped into a 50/50 feud I'll be upset, but if you're gonna have a real division I honestly don't see the point in having her squash Emma. She's not a supernatural monster, she's just the best, and even if she takes some offense, her offense being so high impact still leaves her looking super impressive.

Plus, like, I don't want to get too controversial here, but I think good matches between good wrestlers are good and I want more, not less of them.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that main event and anyone that thinks different is a soulless person. That was just fucking fun.

"Hi, I have a dumb opinion that would fall apart in a second when challenged so I'm not allowing anyone to do that."

This is a prototypical WWE fan.

I'm actually going through the Asuka collection on the Network right now and there's a lot of matches with the usual NXT jobbers (early BIlle and Peyton, Rachel Ellering, Deonna, that random Cameron match with the sweet flying armbar, a Thea Trinidad match) mixed in with a few other bigger TV/Takeover matches. Billie actually got a decent amount of offense in what was Asuka's 2nd TV match. As an aside, that match with Diamante was a great squash. And I totally forgot about the Poker Face ripoff theme that Billie and Peyton used for a hot second.

But she'll basically have 4 heels to work with on Raw so they can't book her like a monster.

• Like 1

I thought the women’s matches were all good. Glad that they are finally allowing Alicia to go full on with the crazy and they let Mickie acknowledge that there are people on the roster older than her. Hopefully the old lady jokes can now die. 

AJ/Balor was really good, especially given the circumstances.

The rest of the undercard that didn't invite Enzo was solid to good.

The main event had a few cool moments, but mostly was profoundly stupid.

11 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The only people I see beating Asuka are Sasha, Naomi, and Charlotte. That is it. Outside of those three, anyone else short of Kairi Sane are actually beneath her in skill.

The problem with this match is not that Asuka should have squashed Emma because Emma should be treated. The problem is that Emma should not have been Asuka's intro match. It should have been Dana or Alicia or a Paige that is on her way out. And then should have squashed one of them.

Finn Balor and AJ was as good as expected. I can't stress that Finn needs to use the Demon persona as something more than just aggressive Finn. I like aggressive Finn more do I like Vanilla Finn, but his offense does not reflect the aura the persona is trying to convey.

I fucking hate Enzo and pray for the day that Cedric puts him in the most devastating Lumbar Check that would make Candice LeRae get back aches. The WWE dropped the fucking ball with the Cruiserweights and instead of fixing some obvious issues like not putting the fucking show right after Smackdown, they insist of being obstinate with that time slot.

Stopped watching after Jason Jordan and Elias because...well I got shit to do.

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

"Hi, I have a dumb opinion that would fall apart in a second when challenged so I'm not allowing anyone to do that."

This is a prototypical WWE fan.

Yes, I'm forbidding you from challenging an opinion because I totally have the authority to do that.  :lol: Get fuckin' real. Your snarkiness is the prototypical smart fan, assuming I only watch WWE. Good job!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyuubi said:

The only people I see beating Asuka are Sasha, Naomi, and Charlotte. That is it. Outside of those three, anyone else short of Kairi Sane are actually beneath her in skill.

The problem with this match is not that Asuka should have squashed Emma because Emma should be treated. The problem is that Emma should not have been Asuka's intro match. It should have been Dana or Alicia or a Paige that is on her way out. And then should have squashed one of them.

And this is why Asuka's doomed to fail on the main roster in a nutshell.

The whole problem with "She can't lose to this person, they're BENEATH HER!" is what's going to make sure that when Asuka loses, that first loss is going to destroy her aura and she'll just be ruined by it. 

• Like 1

My favorite part of Booker's commentary was when he was doing his concern trolling about Kurt Angle right from the start.

"Look, dog, I know you a fan and all but that man is lost his wind already. I'm afraid for his safety out there. It's a nice dream but time is the reality here and Kurt Angle has the body of a 70 year old man with dementia, pneumonia, and lung gout. Sorry, y'all, but he'll be lucky if he can get that vest on without shattering his blood vessels. But I love him, tho. Love him to death. Death which is stalking him like a kitten toying with a very old and frail mouse who is addicted to multiple brain killing substances. I mean he's an olympic gold medalist but so was Jesse Owens and Jesse has as much chance of being alive at the end of tonight as Kurt Angle does."

• Like 7
  • Haha 3