DVDVR Message Board

Fuerza Guerrera y Rocky Star vs. All Star y El Hijo Del Santo + Fuerza Guerrera vs. Rocky Star (12/1/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Tag match starts this off and the losing team has to duke it out afterward for the masks.  Kind of turns the standard question of "who's gonna win" on its head as the point of this match is kind of more "who's gonna lose?"  Opening tag was brawling heavy and I didn't think it was too great, though there was a nice dive section and Santito's mask gets ripped up real bad.  The Fuerza/Rocky section I didn't think was too hot for a mask match either really, though it had some cool stuff.  Starts off with Rocky chucking Fuerza three throws into the seating and I'm kind of a mark for dudes throwing each other into the seating.  All in all a lower end match.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this for the first time a few years ago without knowing what the stipulation really was and I didn't like it at the time. Once I learned about what a Relevos Suicidas match was I became a bit of a mark for the stipulation. Watching it now I definitely like it more. It's still not an amazing match but the work is solid, Fuerza and Santo are great, and there's a cool atmosphere surrounding the stipulation. Fuerza being so fucked up that he can barely make it back into the ring when the singles match starts is a nice touch. The seeds have also been planted for the triangle match that's coming up.

• 1 month later...

Fuerza really threw me off with his mask, that is NOT the same and I've never seen him wear anything different. Maybe that's just me not seeing much of his work or this is a crazy one-off. I guess he's trying to color-coordinate with Rocky Star which is a bad idea. This is a bunch of tepid brawling which especially doesn't mean much when you know one of the two Stars is losing their mask and neither is very good. Rocky busts out a good tope which I guess is a mark in his book. Actually everyone minus Fuerza bust out a dive so at least they're trying, plus there is some mask ripping which I don't really care for without any blood. Wait, is Rocky bleeding? I can't tell. We get another sideboard posting and I am happy to see that happen one last time on the set. God, the crowd really doesn't give a shit about this match. Neither should you. I have the feeling that Rocky Star lost his mask because he had to pay off a gambling debt and Fuerza said "it's cool bro, I'll get the seamstress to make me a similar getup, maybe they'll even throw us some pesos". Then he turns into a complete dick and rips the mask off himself because the bookies told him to. 

• 10 months later...

This was ok, nothing really mind blowing. It had some cool dives and I always like watching crowds scramble out of the way before someone gets tossed into the 3rd row but I felt like by the 2nd fall of the singles match they had kind of run out of steam. Fuerza being a dick and ripping off the mask at the end was a bit surprising for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of this kind of match.  I think the final falls between Guerrera and Rocky went on too long.  I did really like Guerrera acting like he was going to bang Rocky's head into the side of the ring in the third fall of their match, only to bang it into the ringside floor.  That was surprising and nasty.  I actually thought the opening brawl was pretty good, with some good mask-ripping and some nice spots of the rudos accidentally nailing each other.  But Rocky didn't quite have the talent to make the last three falls more than a slog.  This is bottom-half for me.