DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 118: Cerrone vs. Till (10/21/2017) - Gdańsk, Poland (Ergo Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Gdansk_Cowboy_vs._Till_P

UFC Fight Night 118: Cerrone vs. Till 
October 21, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland (Ergo Arena)

Donald Cerrone (170) vs. Darren Till (170) - Till, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:20)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115) vs. Jodie Esquibel (114) - Kowalkiewicz, DEC (unanimous)
Jan Błachowicz (204) vs. Devin Clark (205) - Błachowicz, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:02)
Oskar Piechota (185) vs. Jonathan Wilson (186) - Piechota, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Marcin Held (156) vs. Nasrat Haqparast (155) - Held, DEC (unanimous)
Damian Stasiak (134) vs. Brian Kelleher (135) - Kelleher, TKO (punches), R3 (3:39)
Sam Alvey (189)* vs. Ramazan Emeev (185) - Emeev, DEC (unanimous)
Artem Lobov (145) vs. Andre Fili (145) - Fili, DEC (unanimous)
Salim Touahri (171) vs. Warlley Alves (171) - Alves, DEC (unanimous)
Lina Länsberg (134) vs. Aspen Ladd (136) - Ladd, TKO (punches), R2 (2:33)
Felipe Arantes (145) vs. Josh Emmett (145) - Emmett, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Jan Błachowicz
Performance of the Night: Darren Till
Fight of the Night: Damian Stasiak vs. Brian Kelleher

Attendance: 11,138
Gate: $677,000

Cancelled Fights:
Thiago Santos vs. Michał Materla - Bout Nixed
Jimi Manuwa vs. Przemysław Mysiala - Bout Nixed
Dmitry Smolyakov vs. Adam Wieczorek - Injury to Smolyakov
Marcin Held vs. Teemu Packalén - Injury to Packalén (Knee)
Trevor Smith to Ramazan Emeev - Injury to Smith
Warlley Alves vs. Jim Wallhead - Injury to Wallhead
Anthony Hamilton vs. Adam Wieczorek - Bout Moved to Another Event

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's gotta be a first for UFC weigh ins, before and after the implementation of early/ceremonial weigh-ins.

Update: Anthony Hamilton vs. Adam Wieczorek is off the card altogether and being moved to the card in Sydney on 11/18. I guess the UFC doesn't trust the security on hand to keep some soccer hooligans in check.

Fought a relatively safe fight after round one, but good to see Warlley Alves get a win. Also, Touahri didn't have a bad performance for a short notice bout.

Sidenote McGregor got a very big pop arriving in the building to support Lobov.

Piechota had a decent showing in his UFC debut. He looked really small against a former LHW though.

Man, Jonathan Wilson couldn't recapture what he was able to show in his own UFC debut. This was probably his last chance to show that.

46 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Between Till's Scouse and Perry's antics, that was so fucking rad. Watch Ponzinibbio win and spoil all that.

I think a wild brawl favors Perry against Ponzi, but if Ponzi stays disciplined and Perry overlooks him, he can definitely win that fight. i think either way, it lines up for Darren Till to fight the winner. I looked up on Tapology last night all the available top welterweights and everyone of importance has a fight (not counting the folks who just fought today and fairly recently) except for Siyar who just fought at middleweight, Zak Cummings, and Alberto Mina who has been nursing injuries for more than a year. Usman and Emil Meek were just booked to fight the other day. So Till vs. the winner of Perry/Ponzi makes sense after the post fight stuff from the card in Gdansk.

Is it just me or does it seem like Kowalkiewicz rarely punches through her target? There's just something about her striking that's always seemed off. It's technically sound but she doesn't commit to her strikes much. Her head is also almost always on the centre line too. She's really good but I don't think she has the skills or physical ability to beat Joanna unless she catches her with something big like what almost happened last fight. She probably tops out as the #4 fighter in her division, beating the pretenders and losing to the legit, high-end contenders.

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is it just me or does it seem like Kowalkiewicz rarely punches through her target? There's just something about her striking that's always seemed off. It's technically sound but she doesn't commit to her strikes much. Her head is also almost always on the centre line too. She's really good but I don't think she has the skills or physical ability to beat Joanna unless she catches her with something big like what almost happened last fight. She probably tops out as the #4 fighter in her division, beating the pretenders and losing to the legit, high-end contenders.

I think once the smoke cleared for strawweight, it turns out that all the elite women in the division can have the same or similar success at 125.The stuff you can get away with against lesser opponents is not something you can away with females have comparative talent and naturally throw with more power or are strong enough to prevent you from implementing your own strategy. The problem you noted for Karolina is something you pick out for multiple strawweights, but I have seen this most recently with Alexa Grasso as well. To compensate for the lack of power, they have to beat everyone they face with activity. I think against fringe contenders, both Karolina and Alexa Grasso can have a field day because they are proficient enough technically to do that. Against bigger and stronger opponents, they're going to struggle due to their own flaws they could routinely hide coming out or people can just simply walk through what they have. Jodie Esquibel, a common opponent for both Karolina and Alexa, is a perfect showcase opponent and was primarily brought in make specific fighters look good. Fighting the (other in Karolina's case) top 3 or 4 women in the division doesn't afford you that luxury if you can't make those crucial adjustments. 

• Like 1