DVDVR Message Board

We Will Never Stop Talking About Kaep

Dolfan in NYC

I kinda want to go back to that awful ESPN article. Are we supposed to be feeling sympathy for these owners and executives who are having such a hard job covering their collective arses over this? Plus, I nearly threw my phone across the room when I read the phrase "ranking owner." People have been shot for less.

• Like 1

Wow. Who would have thought the owners response to this would make it a billion times worse?

Even if you take the racist implications out of McNair's prison comment, he's still referring to an extreme power structure imbalance in which he views the owners as wardens, and the players as inmates that need to get in line or go in the hole. That alone would make me not want to play for him ever again.

The Rich Person Bubble is so much more dense than the Wrestling Bubble.

• Like 1

While it was a shitty thing to say and shows the mindset of the owners, the players aren't actually going to quit. The players don't play for the owner's love and respect, they play for the money and/or because they love football. There are no alternatives, its even more extreme than WWE's monopoly as if you want to play football the only way you are going to make a good living off of it is to play in the NFL. Will players protest in different ways? Sure. But if anyone is expecting a grand exodus of players quitting because some of the owners are racist, I wouldn't hold your breath. And there are hundreds of college kids each year that are just dying to play in the NFL, they've created a successful system, for better or worse.

Plus, as Jae pointed out, at worst it could lead to players not wanting to sign for an owner like Jerry Jones or McNair. Which I could see happening in very specific circumstances, but I don't think it will lead to major changes. You don't see Elliot or Dak or Dez protesting, they enjoy the money or fame or just the excitement of playing football. Its easy to ignore an ignorant boss if you enjoy what you are doing.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While it was a shitty thing to say and shows the mindset of the owners, the players aren't actually going to quit. The players don't play for the owner's love and respect, they play for the money and/or because they love football. There are no alternatives, its even more extreme than WWE's monopoly as if you want to play football the only way you are going to make a good living off of it is to play in the NFL. Will players protest in different ways? Sure. But if anyone is expecting a grand exodus of players quitting because some of the owners are racist, I wouldn't hold your breath. And there are hundreds of college kids each year that are just dying to play in the NFL, they've created a successful system, for better or worse.

Plus, as Jae pointed out, at worst it could lead to players not wanting to sign for an owner like Jerry Jones or McNair. Which I could see happening in very specific circumstances, but I don't think it will lead to major changes. You don't see Elliot or Dak or Dez protesting, they enjoy the money or fame or just the excitement of playing football. Its easy to ignore an ignorant boss if you enjoy what you are doing.

Yeah. I mean, several million dollars is still several million dollars. The Owners, through their own ignorance, have now made themselves a bigger distraction for their own players, more so than Trump or some shitbag racists. 

It'll be a interesting how that will further impact their bottomline. What happens when McNair's ability to take care of his team comes into question after this? Or Jones? It's not like the NBA where Sterling was straight up banned and stripped of his rights as an owner, right?

If I had a racist friend from high school on facebook, they wouldn't be friends with me for very long. This is why I've kept the friends I've had for most of my life and its a small knit group of people. I've never tolerated that shit. I come from rural hick farmer central, so I guarantee it's a thing.

• Like 1

Damn, I tried to put myself on a self-imposed ban on discussing issues like this because they get heated fast (ok most of that because of me). However, I think it's way more deep seeded than evil, rich people and I don't like people going that route even if that other route is extremely uncomfortable. 

You can say that the players just want to make money and play football because I'm sure many of them just want to do that, but what is exactly the alternative? And I'm not talking about that stupid "if you fools didn't have owners allowing you to play football, you would be dead, in prison, or XYZ". I'm talking about if shiteating grin, snake in the tall grass Jerry Jones, an infamous white billionaire with a planet for a fucking football stadium and a slightly smaller planet as a training facility now, walks up to you as a young black man from a lower to middle class background and offers you up the world on a silver platter, you're going to have some momentary lapses of judgment because social issues and that specific dichotomy seem so tiny at that moment of obtaining what seemed to be impossible. The inherent problem is you virtually sign away your rights to argue about that once you sign that contract and someone "owns" you, even if you have a party (the NFLPA) that's suppose to help you with that. Football itself across the entire gamut has bred a culture where you can't challenge that plantation like system because they (particularly the fanbase made of dudes who don't have an athletic bone in their body and would get crippled just getting on a junior high school football field) will use variants of "no one person is bigger than the team", "you should just focus on football", "you should be grateful for this opportunity", etc. In actuality, the proper response would and should be you motherfuckers (coaches, fans, staff, front office personel on down the line) need to be grateful you can watch me perform amazing feats that 97% of the human population can't do so you can forget about your miserable lives for 2 or 3 days out of the week all the while I'm making some shitty ass city, a franchise that will cut my ass as soon I get hurt or decline in skill, and corporations across the country a ton of money. However, players (specifically black players) feel they don't have any recourse because you're basically deciding which group of white supremacists to anger and feel the wrath of: the clearly white supremacist owners who can mask their racism by signing checks and providing fake sincerity or the fanbase who can fuel white supremacy by shouting shit from the stands if not by doing it anonymously through the internet? The money and all that comes with it just makes the cushion a little better (I liken it to tossing a few memory foam pillows on the sidewalk before jumping off a high rise) if you make the "safe" decison to ignore what you know clearly to be true. And that's what dudes like Dez, Zeke, and Dak feel compel to do because as a black person who has dealt with racism before, I doubt and pretty much refuse to believe that money is that powerful to black people that they aren't conscious of what's going on. A little naive? Yes, but all those dudes and everyone around the league that's black knows what is going on and I guarantee that it burns them to their very core. I guaran-goddamn-tee that's what's happening. 

I have to go back to LeBron James addressing Eric Garner and basically not addressing Tamir Rice. I think he screwed up royally in both cases because he went down the path of trying not to piss off anyone (ex. "I'm wearing this shirt to pay tribute to the family"....uh LeBron, and why specifically would you have to pay tribute to the Garner family exactly?), and he couldn't get those moments back to properly address those issues as the face of the NBA because those ships sailed away fast and other atrocities happening to black people came around. If he was as adamant as he has been recently, my respect for LeBron would have went up 250% then by just seeing another black person in some position of power feel the way I do. My issue with his comments in regards to the ill fated Warriors WH visit is that he may feel safer doing that because now it's a clear bigot in office and he has no choice. Moreover, that brings up the biggest problem around sports and entertainment in relation to black people at the forefront. If you can't throw away that million dollar gold muzzle and wait until you have no choice but to speak out, you already lost a bunch of battles and damn near the entire war. Say what it truly is because you might not EVER get the opportunity again. Don't wait for dudes like Colin Kaepernick to have to unveil white supremacy for you to do it. I don't even think Colin himself knew it would turn out to be this ingenious.

Also: They would have to behead Bob McNair at midfield for him to not own that team. This ain't the Sterling situation at all.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also: They would have to behead Bob McNair at midfield for him to not own that team. This ain't the Sterling situation at all.

Hey, I liked your post. It's a complicated issue when you talk about racism, making money, where the line is, etc. It's easy to comment on how one should behave when you don't have all their problems. On this particular point, I only brought it up not because the cases are similar, but because I was unclear how NFL ownership is similar or dissimilar to the NBA. I don't think McNair should lose his team necessarily after a boneheaded thing to say, which ultimately  pales in comparison to what Sterling did. 

My point is that players are offending a particular group of fans. This may or may not be affecting the owners bottom line and they're threatening benching or even firings. With this article the owners are now offending another group of fans, and I was wondering if there was any possibility of repercussions should their comments or behavior affect the on-field product and the money that produces. I'm under the impression the way NFl owners operate and NBA owners operate within their respective leagues is very different, so I was more asking for clarification. 

Like if the Sterling situation had happened in the NFL would he have been forced to sell his team by the league?

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Hey, I liked your post. It's a complicated issue when you talk about racism, making money, where the line is, etc. It's easy to comment on how one should behave when you don't have all their problems. On this particular point, I only brought it up not because the cases are similar, but because I was unclear how NFL ownership is similar or dissimilar to the NBA. I don't think McNair should lose his team necessarily after a boneheaded thing to say, which ultimately  pales in comparison to what Sterling did. 

I don't think it's just about degree in which someone screws up because the NBA didn't need V. Stivano and tape to get rid of Donald Sterling. There was enough ammo in that gun already. It's just that it was swept under the rug enough that people didn't have a problem Donald Sterling being that guy until being that guy was enough to leverage him out. In addition, Sterling probably didn't give two shits about owning an NBA team as much as he did getting back like a gazillion percent ROI before and after selling the team. There is probably enough to get rid of Bob McNair too way before this debacle, but as someone who is synonymous with that franchise and perhaps would do everything in his power to keep that team, why would anyone in the NFL try to force him out? Yeah, so he can virtually suicide bomb the league and rat out other owners and what they've done. The easiest solution would be to try to dead the issue by having him put out some fake apology. Trying to establish some circuitous route to oust someone who would only drag out skeletons that the NFL doesn't want is a headache the league doesn't want. This would be the worst time to do that because it's the biggest admission of guilt.

22 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

My point is that players are offending a particular group of fans. This may or may not be affecting the owners bottom line and they're threatening benching or even firings. With this article the owners are now offending another group of fans, and I was wondering if there was any possibility of repercussions should their comments or behavior affect the on-field product and the money that produces. I'm under the impression the way NFl owners operate and NBA owners operate within their respective leagues is very different, so I was more asking for clarification. 

IMO The product is going to be the product because what else are the owners going to do other than veiled threats? Yeah, you're going to take yourself out of division contention because one of your key players kneels. Right. So the owners called their own bluff. The biggest problem is that the shoe everyone was waiting for to drop last year after preseason finally dropped especially with the election of the man sporting a dead orange ferret on his head. These are natural responses so it doesn't matter if you try to pressure owners or not to be quiet or whathaveyou. The only thing the NFL can do at this point is limp their way to the playoffs and pray they have some ballstothewalls crazy games somewhere within that few weeks. The damage is already done.

Schefter is basically reporting the Texans players are still livid. 

They will apparently protest what McNair said as a group.  They are probably all going to kneel during the national anthem, they may also remove the Texans decal from their helmets, and/or raising their fists.  

• Like 3

On 10/20/2017 at 7:16 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

He'd have to be "elite"

He was elite when he brought the Niners to the Super Bowl.  He was better than Alex Smith who had eighty chances to improve and to his credit,  he did improve quite a bit over the years but Kaepernick at his peak was the better player.  Then Kaepernick suffered through injuries and turmoil.  No team was in more disarray than the 49ers.  Last season with Jeremy Kerley and Quinton Patton,  if you are scoring at home the worst receiving corp in football,  Kaepernick went for 16 TDs and 4 INTs.  Again,  with the worst starting WRs in the NFL. 

This was also a season where Kaep was coming off injury and still not fully back up to his original weight and size.  Nobody is saying he would have ever gotten back to top form but he's clearly better than a lot of QBs and he was blackballed.  We don't know if he could have returned to elite status,  he wasn't given the chance. 

There was someone on here arguing with me over Blaine Gabbert saying Kaep isn't better than him.  We saw that wasn't true. 

Texans are going to do some group protest before the Seahawks game.  Possibly ripping the Texans decal off the helmet.  Bob McNair's "explanation" non-apology is not helping.  You can't go from saying I'm sorry I didn't mean to call you inmates to well I really didn't call y'all inmates I was referring to myself as an inmate and have anyone take you seriously.  I don't care what y'all do but focus on the football first. 

And people who are swearing you'll never watch the Texans again because of this crap are liars.  Besides, I'm a fan of my players, not the goddamn owner.  I liked Les Alexander.  He was out of the spotlight and always did the right thing.  I don't see what benefit these uber-rich out of touch assholes get out of putting statements out in the media and having shit like this blow up on you. 

I thought the whole comparison between McNair and Sterling was just stupid.  I mean "inmates running the prison" has been used for decades and didn't really have any racist overtones to it.  Well the actual version not this version.   But those tweets really doesn't help my argument that much.   While I still think it is mostly about control and power over bosses, it is clear it is control and power by certain groups over bosses that worries him.

If the Texans really want to protest the only real option is from Deshaun Watson.  The symbolism of a black starting QB taking a stand would be very powerful.  And given how embarrassing their QB situation has been in the last 5 years also important.  But he is a rookie on not the greatest salary in the world so I can understand not too.  

Carolina? A team with a QB that can break for a run out roll out when needed to make a play? You think a team like that will think someone like Kaep fits in with their scheme.

Nah man, better get Jimmy Clausen back instead...

• Haha 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Carolina? A team with a QB that can break for a run out roll out when needed to make a play? You think a team like that will think someone like Kaep fits in with their scheme.

Nah man, better get Jimmy Graham back instead...

There is a fairly large community of Panthers fans who would rather have Derek Anderson start over Cam.  Not only that, Jerome Richardson is the guy who told Cam he'd prefer he not get any tattoos.  I don't think Kaep is his type of guy.