DVDVR Message Board

We Will Never Stop Talking About Kaep

Dolfan in NYC

They really don't need to blackball Kaepernick.  He's doing a great job of Tebowing himself without help from anyone else.  Even if he wins his grievance (which i don't thnk will happen), he's such a media dumpster fire at this point that no one will risk bringing him in.

I think the Anthem protest probably has an awful lot to do with it, but I also think Kaep would have a job if he put up better numbers the past couple seasons.  I wouldn't want to be the GM trying to argue with a straight face that signing Kaepernick will turn the team into a winner.

• Like 1

he was the 17th rated quarterback in the league last season (with a TD to INT ratio of 16 to 4), ahead of current NFL starters Tyrod Taylor, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Jaemis Winston, Eli Manning, Trevor Siemian, Joe Flacco, Carson Wentz, Blake Bortles and Cam Newton.

For Kaep to have only been offered a veterans minimum contract by one team is bizarre. He would be an upgrade for most team's backup quarterback at the very least.

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

Hey! Right on time!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/kaepernick-tracker/?utm_term=.27baf4ee1054

It's a fun little graphic to show who Kaep would be better than. Spoiler, it's a whole bunch of folks.

I know, I know, it's SHOCKING to know that Kaep would be a better option than such potential hall of famers like, uh, Deshone Kizer, Mike Glennon/Mitch Trubisky, Jay Cutler, and just about every backup QB in the NFL. 

• Like 2

I feel like history will bear Kaep out as the Curt Flood of the NFL. Different circumstances obviously, but both took similar, brave stands at the ruinous costs of their sporting careers. Time shall tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Hey! Right on time!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/kaepernick-tracker/?utm_term=.27baf4ee1054

It's a fun little graphic to show who Kaep would be better than. Spoiler, it's a whole bunch of folks.

I know, I know, it's SHOCKING to know that Kaep would be a better option than such potential hall of famers like, uh, Deshone Kizer, Mike Glennon/Mitch Trubisky, Jay Cutler, and just about every backup QB in the NFL. 

That graphic is awesome.  I'd gladly take Kaep and, for a second, thought he would end up with the Ravens, but Steve Bisciotti is a greasy coward.

The idea a team should be forced to sign someone they don't want to sign is odd. They are privately owned (for the most part), I don't think any business should be required to take on staff they don't want to hire aside from the few federally protected reasons.  It doesn't matter if he is better than Blake Bortles. He'd have to be "elite" for teams to overlook the media attention and reaction from fans if they signed him, and he isn't elite. People talking about who he may be better than on the field are missing the point, owners/GMs are looking at the whole picture from their perspective.

Now ideally it would be nice if teams were just honest. Instead of saying fit or scheme or skill, just flat out say "we aren't interested in signing a player that will upset some fans and bring unwanted media attention." That's it. It would make people mad but it would be straight forward. Really his best bet was Miami, comparing his stats from last year to current players in different offenses with different players around them doesn't really mean anything but he would have been better than Cutler since Cutler had to learn the offense also. And hasn't cared about football in probably five years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It would stink for a team that didn’t want him just on football reasons to be lumped in with everyone else blackballing him. If that team exists, of course.

Some teams just flat out don't need another QB.  Teams like New England and KC aren't in the market, or any team that already has a vet/rookie combination they want to grow with and aren't looking to add another to the mix.

But collusion is so hard to prove, it isn't based off "well he is better than so and so", there has to be actual proof that multiple teams are talking to each other and agreeing not to sign him. If he has proof of that it certainly hasn't leaked out. But it can't be based on assumptions or theories if he wants to succeed. It does help him that he doesn't have to prove all 32 are in on it, even if just two teams talked about it, it would still be collusion.

I think part of being in a union, Kaep may have more leverage with non-football reasons for not signing him hence the collusion case. I'd be fine with the Packers giving him a shot if Hundley and Callahan flame out and are horrible, but that's not going to happen in this area. Too many let's say "ignorant" and "foolish" people in my native area. (Okay, there's a bunch of racists.)

• Like 1

Again - putting this here since Kaep started it

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

Most places with boil this down to Roger Goodell vs. Jerry Jones

If you read the whole thing - I promise you, you will be infuriated

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Again - putting this here since Kaep started it

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

Most places with boil this down to Roger Goodell vs. Jerry Jones

If you read the whole thing - I promise you, you will be infuriated

So, this went from talking about racial injustice to a bunch of old white dudes jockeying for power among each other.  

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ummm...persuaded to stay.  DeAndre Hopkins left and didn't come back.  This is going to get worse before it gets better.  The league does not exist without the players.  The part where Jerry Jones was saying how the owners built the NFL into what it is showed how out of touch these people are.  Nobody watches football for the owners.  It wouldn't matter if the Cowboys were owned by Jerry Jones or Jenny Jones.  Nobody really cares, we only know their names because the television networks love putting them on camera.  The players actually matter.  If it gets to the point where one of these owners says or does something that makes the black players leave, we aren't going to keep watching.  If Jerry Jones fell down a well, we'd be right in front of our TVs on Sundays.  How could the owners even try to force the players to stand?  If you put in a rule, which they probably can't because it isn't in the collective bargaining agreement, and it causes more players to kneel, what does the NFL do?

Some site called Sportsfella, which looks like a Russian troll looked at the Sports Pickle and remove anything remotely related to humor, is reporting that the Seattle Seahawks are on the verge of being kicked out of the NFL for (in a laughably photoshopped picture, forwarded by a Facebook troll group) setting a flag on fire in the locker room.  

So when your racist Facebook friend from high school starts with takes about this, you'll know where it comes from.