DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NBA: FIRST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/13/2018 at 4:46 PM, RolandTHTG said:

I still think Lebron ends up at the Lakers, probably with Paul George, and in doing so, practically give Julius Randle away for free.

Whether or not they can offload Ball is another thing.

Ball is just too toxic right now.  The dad is telling everyone that they are an all in one package.  What a mess.  Nobody wants that circus and nobody is signing the kids knowing the circus surrounding them.

The Ball Circus is why the NBA needs to keep kids in the NCAA's for a minimum of three seasons.

10 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Ball is just too toxic right now.  The dad is telling everyone that they are an all in one package.  What a mess.  Nobody wants that circus and nobody is signing the kids knowing the circus surrounding them.

The Ball Circus is why the NBA needs to keep kids in the NCAA's for a minimum of three seasons.

I think we should force you and anyone else who espouses that bullshit to be an indentured servant to a disgusting corrupt and vile entity for 3 years and see how you all like it.

Someone will take him, league talent depth just isn't there not to, and chances are a struggling small franchise could do with the coverage. Will just mean the Lakers probably give him away for free, and probably pay his salary for a bit. 

I just hope, from a cutting losses perspective, its not to a team with a crazy as fuck owner prepared to put a gun to Lavar Ball's head and threaten his life if he ever speaks out of turn, allowing his son to play relatively decent basketball distraction free.

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Tim Hardaway Jr with 32 points to half time...

Tim Hardaway Jr.....

Then he scored 5 points in the half, and they blew a 27 point lead.  

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR NEW YORK KNICKS!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sabremike said:

I think we should force you and anyone else who espouses that bullshit to be an indentured servant to a disgusting corrupt and vile entity for 3 years and see how you all like it.

Someone is triggered.  REeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

The irony of your hate filled post is that this is the deal for football for a very good reason.  Kids like Ball come out with little in the way of actual fundamentals, like a jump shot.  But they have great Youtube highlight reels from ESPN in college and measurables so whatever.  If they stayed in school, they would be forced to actually learn how to play the game rather than hide any shortcomings which would hurt their draft stock.

Baseball is a whole different story because of the talent gap and the depth of the minor league system.

Hockey will allow players to play out their college career.

Don't be silly.  All kids in college get paid major money under the table. Cars, cash, etc.  All though cousins and others who funnel the money back to the 'students.'

There are two great lies in college sports today.

1.  'Amateur student athletes' do not get paid.  

2.  The faux outrage when a cheating scandal is uncovered.

The "deal" is that the NBA and NFL get a minor league they don't have to pay a single dime for. And you're a "student athlete", which do you prefer: an unofficial slush fund that can easily be used to blackmail/fuck you if the wrong person finds out or real cash from the NBA above the board?

And I should add that the NBA actually created a developmental league, helpfully called the D League (yes I know about the absurd name change). Why can't guys get drafted and go to that league to develope (and get paid for their labor at the same time)? Isn't that the whole point of a developmental league: to develope talent?

Also you mention hockey. Do you realize that according to the NCAA the vast majority of Canadian players who are drafted are already pros and ineligible to play college hockey? That's because major junior hockey sees all players get paid in the form of a stipend. That's a grave sin according to the NCAA. And the top college guys are often one and done (eg: Jack Eichel), but for some reason that doesn't bother people as much as one and dones in basketball.