DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NBA: FIRST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, Infinit said:

All this talk about the Celtics and Cavs...who's in first place in the East??

They will collapse in the playoffs like they do every year.  The guards cannot handle pressure and fall apart in the playoffs.

I can't blame Cleveland for not doing much more.  Why give up the Nets pick if LeBron wants The Decision 3.0?  

It all comes down to Cleveland and Boston in the ECF.

Boston is young but Cleveland is only one player.

8 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

They will collapse in the playoffs like they do every year.  The guards cannot handle pressure and fall apart in the playoffs.

I can't blame Cleveland for not doing much more.  Why give up the Nets pick if LeBron wants The Decision 3.0?  

It all comes down to Cleveland and Boston in the ECF.

Boston is young but Cleveland is only one player.

Maybe "collapse" means something different to me, but the last 2 years the Raps have had a few rounds before succumbing to the Cavs, and gained valuable experience. If the Celts and Cavs stay as 2 and 3 seeds, the Raps have a real chance of going to the Finals.

Arguably lucky against the Bucks last year before getting whomped in 4 games straight against the Cavs. Highly lucky against the Pacers, unimpressive against the Heat the year before closing out with 2 25+ pt losses to the Cavs.

For mine, they're not taking 2 games off either Cavs or Celtics, and I don't rate the Cavs at all.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nobody wins a title by themselves.  2008 game 7.   Pierce scored 41 to LeBron's 45.  I think he did okay for himself. 

Not arguing against Pierce's career.  

Looking back, the idea that those series were competitive at all with one team with 3 Hall of Famers not too far from their primes while the other team had LeBron and...Mo Williams is amazing to think about now. Yeah the damn Celtics should beat that team.

On 11/02/2018 at 6:21 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nobody expects anyone but Cleveland to come out of the east this year.

I'm so triggered by this sentence.  Everyone expected that from Cleveland both before and after they reworked their entire supporting cast?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Looking back, the idea that those series were competitive at all with one team with 3 Hall of Famers not too far from their primes while the other team had LeBron and...Mo Williams is amazing to think about now. Yeah the damn Celtics should beat that team.

Heat lost to the Mavericks with only Dirk playing at a HOF level.  Lakers lost to the Pistons.  It's not all about how many stars there are at all times.  

26 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm so triggered by this sentence.  Everyone expected that from Cleveland both before and after they reworked their entire supporting cast?

LeBron has won the East 8 times since 2007, including the last seven straight. Until someone gets the job done, or he moves out west, his team is the overwhelming favorite, regardless.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

LeBron has won the East 8 times since 2007, including the last seven straight. Until someone gets the job done, or he moves out west, his team is the overwhelming favorite, regardless.

I am this || close to making an ill-advised bet against the Cavs and becoming DVDVR's new Faithless Shitbum.

• Haha 3

Remember that LeBron will automatically get all of the calls in the playoffs.  It happens every year.

This year is the best year to get past Cleveland.  LeBron is clearly looking forward to a max contract and has little interest in the Cavs.  As for the options, Toronto has to show they can win in the playoffs.  The WIzards, maybe.  The Celtics are young and Kyrie will go off in the playoffs to prove LeBron wrong.

Whoever wins is just fodder for the Warriors.

2 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

This year is the best year to get past Cleveland.  LeBron is clearly looking forward to a max contract and has little interest in the Cavs.

It might not last, but the two games since the deadline he's been fully engaged.

I think that is part of the problem.  If he was engaged from Opening Night, they would not have these problems.  

The All Star Game is coming up and then the push to the playoffs.  

My gripe in this that teams like the Warriors and Rockets have been engaged since Opening Night.  LeBron is 33 and not practicing and not being engaged is going to bite him hard in a few seasons but hey he gets a max contract.

Anything short of the NBA Championship, and I think LeBron is gone too. The gigantic caveat to that is, I think the teams willing to pony up for his services (which he would seriously consider) is actually quite limited.

When he opts out, I think the favorites to get him would be, in this order:  LA Clippers, Dallas, Cleveland, and maybe New York.  (And by the way.... I think there's a very small chance, he just pulls a Jim Brown and says, thanks, I'm out.)

GS would be morons to trade being the favorites in the next 4-5 NBA Titles to guarantee the 2019 NBA title.  And now that LeBron has 3, I don't think he feels the pressure he once did for rings.  In a place like the Clippers, he can chase Kareem for points, and pad his GOAT resume. 

LeBron is 33 years old. Been in the league for 15 seasons, played in multiple Olympics, and I don't even know how many playoffs games. At this point he would have to be a damn robot to be "fully engaged" every game in a 82 game regular season.  You can't even do the "But Jordan would have been!" on this one because even he bailed and took a break for 2 seasons.  I don't even think LeBron has missed a game this current season, which I honestly think is a mistake. It's part of the reason why I secretly hope he goes to the Spurs if he bails from Cleveland again.  If he can check his ego a bit, I think Pop and him could extend his career. 

22 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

LeBron is 33 years old. Been in the league for 15 seasons, played in multiple Olympics, and I don't even know how many playoffs games. At this point he would have to be a damn robot to be "fully engaged" every game in a 82 game regular season.  You can't even do the "But Jordan would have been!" on this one because even he bailed and took a break for 2 seasons.  I don't even think LeBron has missed a game this current season, which I honestly think is a mistake. It's part of the reason why I secretly hope he goes to the Spurs if he bails from Cleveland again.  If he can check his ego a bit, I think Pop and him could extend his career. 

Admit it, you also secretly hope the Penguins could somehow get McDavid and are also thrilled the Yankees got Stanton. Fuck the Spurs, come save a team whose fans fucking deserve it like the Knicks or even the Sixers.