DVDVR Message Board

Stranger Things

Dolfan in NYC

Was I the only one that thought Billy and Max would somehow be tied into Hawkins Lab? They were so vague about why they were in town for most of the season, that I assumed that someone from Hawkins had tried to plant students in the school to eavesdrop on the main kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Was I the only one that thought Billy and Max would somehow be tied into Hawkins Lab? They were so vague about why they were in town for most of the season, that I assumed that someone from Hawkins had tried to plant students in the school to eavesdrop on the main kids.

This is what I thought when I noticed one of the episodes was called "Spy".

• Like 1

Holy fuck what an excellent run for Season 2.

I honestly believe that if Stranger Things hadn't rekindled nostalgia for 80's horror, the reboot of IT! would have never seen the light of day.

The more I think about it, the more I start to refer to the IT! reboot as Stranger Clowns.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, odessasteps said:

Saw this attached to an article About Sean Austins dad on the show

And I just realized who Sean's dad was... never connected the dots before this.

Oh, and Billy's dad is part of special opts unit (or even head of).

I did some work on another show in the building they use as the set for Hawkins Lab. It's legitimately terrifying in there. We went up to the fifth floor looking for ceiling tile to pillage for a set and saw blood spilled everywhere. We had no idea why and were afraid for our lives. About two weeks later I watched s2 and it all made sense. I LOVED the Hopper/Eleven dynamic. Great stuff. And I'm all in on Team SteveDust.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished s2, loved Paul Reiser and the almost shot for shot Aliens montage with him looking at the monitors.

loved the dynamic of El switching parties for an episode.  I've never felt comfortable joining another D&D party with an existing character and that's kind of what El was like.  She's like "well, their the big barbarian is sweet and they already have a mage, but these guys have too much of a chaotic neutral vibe for me, I'm back off to my lawful good party"

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I must be the only person who doesn't get the Squee factor this show engenders.  I feel like it's hamstrung by its nostalgia cravings, rather than driven by them.  All of the older kids, except for post-turn Steve (which feels a lot like Teddy Jr.'s about-face did on Rectify), are goddamned annoying, and I'm fine if they all get eaten and pooped out into human-shell-bodysnatched-poop-zombies by whatever the next beastie is.  Fuck Barb, fuck her fans, I'm glad you're dead, your 8 or 18 or however many minutes of screen time did not warrant the Internet going batshit.

Actually, fuck not just the older kids, but fuck the Wheelers.  Fuck all of them.  Mike and his love story are bullshit.  Lucas would have been a more believable kid to lead them.

And it seems like the Byers family tends to put the show on their backs.  Season 1, it was Winona Ryder reminding everyone, "Hey, I'm Winona Ryder."   Season 2 it was Noah Schnapp taking a 'dying kid on a bed' role that could have just chewed up time and MacGuffined the overarching plot and instead made you feel a ridiculous amount of empathy for the collected awful shit that he's had to experience.  David Harbour's been great throughout; I actually wish the show were focused on him, or that it did a deeper, more believable dive into Eleven's role as his replacement daughter - someone who he needs in his life to keep from going off the deep end (or any further, at least), but who will also maybe always disappoint him simply because she isn't his daughter.

That said, I will probably rewatch the whole thing anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I don't know who to feel worse for: those kids for wearing those shorts, or John Stockton, who probably has to wear pants all the time after the Duffers emptied his wardrobe.

Dustin should be rocking some Jams and slip on Vans, that style was what the semi-cool kids like him were wearing in the summer of 1985.

• 2 months later...