DVDVR Message Board

Stranger Things

Dolfan in NYC

On 6/21/2022 at 8:56 AM, StuntmanCrowley said:

Eddie is Judd Nelson, Steve is Emilio, Nancy is Molly Ringwald, Robin is Jennifer Jason Leigh and Dustin is Anthony Michael Hall.  (I may or may not have been a tad stoned during it)

EDIT: beaten to it by @Log!  Carry on.

Also, isn't this supposed to be the last season? 

Edited by Technico Support

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

EDIT: beaten to it by @Log!  Carry on.

Also, isn't this supposed to be the last season? 

I believe that season 5 will be the last.  I thought I saw something that said that this finale will wrap things for this season and then start the ramp up for the next.

26 minutes ago, Log said:

I believe that season 5 will be the last.  I thought I saw something that said that this finale will wrap things for this season and then start the ramp up for the next.

Didn't they already shoot season 5?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Season 4 has been wrapped up and..

Spoiler

Eddie's dead, but in the sort of heroic way that is a secret and people in the town still think he murdered people

Max was dead but isn't, but was dead enough to open gates

Paul Reiser is somewhere until he's needed for Season 5, Brenner is dead

Hopper and Joyce got out of Russia and back home, just wave your hands franticly in the air as to how that worked. Also Hopper sliced up a Demogorgon which was pretty much the one interesting thing to happen in the entire Russia storyline

They did a two day timehop in lieu of showing the Superfriends getting back to the other side of the gate or showing a crosscountry roadtrip from Nevada to Indiana with Will/Mike/the stoner/the older brother/Eleven

Vecna is probably still alive enough to make Will rub his neck

Stranger Things Season 5: "We're back for more money"

The "Master of Puppets" scene ruled. Eddie ended up being a hell of a character, and I liked the scene at the end with Mr. Munson and Dustybun.

The finale wouldn't have been 2.5 hours without the massive exposition dump.

The stuff with Will was heart wrenching and well acted.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 2

I liked it fine but could have sworn they had advertised this as the last season for a while, hence splitting it up and the final episodes basically being two movies. As the second episode was winding and a new plot line started up I got confused as to why they would end the series on some sort of cliffhanger, but apparently we get a new season. Splitting the last two "episodes" up into 4 or 5 episodes also would have made them a lot more palatable.

Spoiler

Eddie being the only main character to die kind of surprised me (his death itself didn't as I thought it was pretty obvious he was going to be cannon fodder the more sympathetic they tried to make him), but then again I thought this was going to be the last season. I'd been expecting Hopper to die and either Will or Elle to have to sacrifice themselves at some point, but maybe that happens next season.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:02 PM, Technico Support said:

I hope so!  At least two of the "kids in high school" cast is 20.  We're not at the "Gabrielle Carteris in 90210" level of ridiculousness but we're close.

Will seemed to have gone from the late bloomer of the group to looking 5 years older than the rest of them in the last season. I get puberty does that but he pulled a Joseph Gribble. I wonder if Erica is intended to be some take on Lisa Simpson as she's supposed to be 10 but looks, talks, and acts like a college student.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, Mister TV said:

Didn't they already shoot season 5?

I looked it up and apparently that was the original plan but then they didn’t.  So no timeline for S5 and word is they’ll do a time jump to explain how all these kids look 35 now.

I liked the last episode but it really dragged in spots and could have been cut.  There was no need to revisit every single person’s emotional connections and doing that 4-5 times killed the flow of the episode.  

Edited by Technico Support

Finished the last episode. I concur that it dragged a bit, but overall I loved it. Curious to see how they wrap everything up with the flood gates damn being so close to fully open, and the kids continuing to grow. Some of them hit serious growth spurts.

• Like 1

The Duffer Brothers already said that they don't know how they would do season 5 without a time jump considering how much everyone has aged. At the same time, how are you going to do a time jump when the episode ends with the end of the world beginning?

Now that I've had a day to process it more, here's my additional thoughts and I'll just spoiler things just in case:

Spoiler
  • Seeing what is the end of the world begin was one of the freakiest things I've ever seen in a movie or tv series. I think the only things that come close are Infinity War and The Mist.
  • There are only so many times you can hand wave away what is going on in Hawkins. There's no more hand waving when you have four giant cracks in the earth converge with smoke billowing out, particles/spores falling from the sky, red lightning, etc. It makes me wonder that considering how much further the Russians got in their research of the Upside Down if they'll wind up teaming up with the US government to at least slow the progress of the takeover of the planet.
  • So let's talk about Henry/Vecna. I have to give the Duffers a ton of props for pulling off a D&D story with Vecna better than any D&D movie or tv series ever will be able to do it. Vecna in Stranger Things is 95% Vecna from D&D. The only thing that hasn't happened is that Henry hasn't lost an arm or an eye and there is no sword of Kaz. BUT, one of the things that made me jump out of my seat during the synth Running Up That Hill sequence was Hopper using a strangely ornate sword against the Demogorgon. It made me instantly think of the sword of Kaz and that there was more to the sword than it being just a sword. Sadly, the sword didn't make an appearance at the end of episode 9. Still, if you know anything about Vecna from D&D, then everything makes total sense now.
  • With Henry all burned up, I wonder if he now just assumes the spidery form of the particles or if he goes back to his bipedal form.
  • And then there's poor Max. There must be a reason that Running Up That Hill was used as much as it was, especially with them always keying in on the "get him to swap our places" part of the chorus. Max seems like an empty vessel that Henry could take over with Max's mind/consciousness locked away somewhere deep for Eleven to find. It also gives double meaning to the episode title of The Piggyback. Eleven says she's going to Piggyback on Max's consciousness. Who's to say that Vecna isn't now piggybacking on Max's physical form? So yeah, swapping places and all that.
  • My only real complaint had to do with nearly anything with Brenner. I don't remember Matthew Modine being this bad of an actor. He's just fucking terrible in this role. Every time he was on screen it made the episode slow to a crawl.
  • Poor, poor Will. I know your heart feels something fierce for Mike, but my man, Mike is borderline Scott Pilgrim bad in the boyfriend/life partner department. You can do so much better than Mike. So if Will is gay and whenever he gets himself sorted out enough to come out, don't even look for someone who is like Mike. They're just going to disappoint you and break your heart. Will deserves the nicest, kindest, most empathetic guy he can find. And if he isn't gay, then still, he deserves the nicest, kindest, and most empathetic woman he can find. I just want to see Will be happy. For fucks sake, SOMEONE GIVE WILL A HUG. PLEASE! This kid has been begging for a hug for four seasons now. I can't help myself from thinking that if I was his friend that I'd just give him a big hug and tell him, "hey man, I love you dude, I just want you to be happy."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Duffer Brothers already said that they don't know how they would do season 5 without a time jump considering how much everyone has aged. At the same time, how are you going to do a time jump when the episode ends with the end of the world beginning?

To be fair keeping Max alive the way she was seems to have slowed it down tremendously and turned it into a slow bleed. Still its easier to buy that giving them a few months, maybe even year, opposed to the 2-3 years they would need to skip to keep things realistic with those kids aging. 

Forget Kate Bush and Metallica,

I popped big for

EDIT: I Do not think spoilers are working yet.

We'll just say I popped big for the song played during the end credits. That's by far my favorite album of theirs and the first song that just hits you right off the bat. The 20 year old was going to turn it off once the credits started rolling and I stopped that notion quickly.

Edited by Matt D

Finished this last night.  The Duffer Brothers are reaching Tarantino levels of "I need an editor."

Spoiler

Eddie's death sucked as he was one of the few new characters I cared about this season. Max being saved kinda underwhelmed me, because I'm guessing they'll explain next season El either postponed her death or will take her death as her own in order to save the world.   Either way, a principle character should have died, just for stakes reasons.  

Vecna/One still being alive.  Eh. 

RIP Demogorgon.  

I'm positive they did those final scenes within like the last 3 months because, I'm positive the reason they did this season they way it was done was to split everyone up into Covid pods, so if one person got it, the entire production wouldn't have to shut down.  Also Dustin looked a couple of years older than he had 30 minutes before.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Finished this last night.  The Duffer Brothers are reaching Tarantino levels of "I need an editor."

Hide contents

Eddie's death sucked as he was one of the few new characters I cared about this season. Max being saved kinda underwhelmed me, because I'm guessing they'll explain next season El either postponed her death or will take her death as her own in order to save the world.   Either way, a principle character should have died, just for stakes reasons.  

Vecna/One still being alive.  Eh. 

RIP Demogorgon.  

I'm positive they did those final scenes within like the last 3 months because, I'm positive the reason they did this season they way it was done was to split everyone up into Covid pods, so if one person got it, the entire production wouldn't have to shut down.  Also Dustin looked a couple of years older than he had 30 minutes before.  

Spoiler

Max is mostly dead. I know they could use the body still being alive as an excuse to pull some bs, but it seems doubtful with the reveal that her mind is completely gone. All Eleven did was slow down the release of the Upside Down into the world. She failed to actually save Max. Its why she broke down in her room until Hopper returned.

• Like 1

I, for one, can't wait for Universal Studios to have a Mindflayer roller coaster where you spin like a top as you get thrown into the 'upside down.'  

On 7/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I, for one, can't wait for Universal Studios to have a Mindflayer roller coaster where you spin like a top as you get thrown into the 'upside down.'  

AH, so that's why Lucas was reading The Talisman to Max at the end.

Holy fucking shit. You know, sometimes people in my state outside of my county are pretty cool.

I mean, look at the size of that fucking thing. Jesus Christ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, Craig H said:

This season being almost this perfect depiction of battling depression, feelings of worth, and thoughts of suicide is something that hits incredibly hard. Max seeing, realizing, and knowing she's loved and then her first three words when she gets back just totally broke me down. 

Yeah, if I were to pick an MVP for this season it would be Max, but I love of all of these characters so much. The Duffers also continue to hit home runs with the new characters they add. Eddie and Argyle are both so different, but I love them both. I didn't think I was going to like Eddie much at first, but then I quickly thought, shit, I knew so many people like him in high school. Not the exaggerated guy in the lunch room, but the person he is when he's away from everyone. 

I admit to never seeing the show but was curious about this scene.  I ended up catching that yeah it messed me up pretty good.  Then you see the Youtube comments with most saying similar things and it really hit me how much of a home run that was.  Between this and Eddie's scene I feel tempted to watch the show but just don't know if I'll be able to find the time to.  That and I don't have Netflix at the moment so there's that.  That may change soon enough though but we'll see.