DVDVR Message Board

Stranger Things

Dolfan in NYC

Eddie is 80s RDJ and I'm fine with that. Just finished all 7.

Spoiler

Found it funny that someone above said they skipped all the Hopper/Joyce scenes, because I enjoyed them but skipped all the Eleven scenes. Like what did we think was going to happen after all that, she doesn't get her powers back? Come on. We could've got there a heck of a lot faster. That was my main problem with the whole 7 episode volume actually. Either they should have been 45 minute episodes, or needed squeezing down from 7 to 5. It is set up nicely for volume 2 though. Hopefully more deaths to come. If they won't kill Max I find it unlikely they'll kill anyone else of note. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:08 PM, driver said:

Not a fan of Argyle.

I'll never forgive him for getting "Pass the Dutchie" stuck in my head.

Ok, so are we going to talk about Murray being the reverse Steve and kicking everyone's ass?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Murray becoming good at fighting is so wrong and kind of hilarious as a result of being so wrong.

I love how they set it up too, because you fully expect him to get his shit rocked, and then he......doesn't???

• Like 2

I finished the first 7 eps last night. Definitley a tale of two halves. Or three thirds. Not sure how the math breaks down here.

Basically, everything in Hawkins was great. Easily the best the show has been since season 1. But, man, everything else was either fine but dragged out too long, especially for a foregone conclusion (the Russian excursion, Eleven getting her powers back), or just was the absolute pits (the California crew).

I thought they parsed out the Vecna mystery pretty well. There was definitley a point midway through where it became really obvious there was a connection between those three characters (probably when Victor Creel mentioned that his son died later and he never saw him again after that night). Jamie Campbell Bower had big Jack Nicholson “I am obviously insane” energy from the beginning. But I never felt like the mystery had overstayed it’s welcome. And it was so well laid out that I don’t think they even needed to spend what felt like 10 minutes having One explain it at the end. I think most people could’ve gotten it on their own by the end of that episode. It was good obvious, not bad obvious.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I just clicked back a page and saw my reaction to season 3 and had no recollection of Great Value Terminator AT ALL.

So then I googled it and I still have no recollection of that character. Yikes. What a whiff.

My wife noticed that the orderly was Vecna purely off of their mannerisms and the way each spoke. I think she caught it about episode 4 or 5. I was like, nah, it's probably a coincidence. Then when episode 7 came she spiked that football as hard as she fucking could.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Definitely agree that the stuff in Hawkins and The Upside Down is the best part of Season 4. I don't hate the stuff in Russia, but  I didn't expect Hopper to be stuck there for the entire season. The Eleven subplot has dragged on way too long, and it is far removed from the original premise of Mike visiting her in California, etc (aside from the obvious parallel that she was being picked on in the lab too.) It seems like moving Eleven & Co to California was kind of pointless in the long run. I thought it was pretty obvious who Vecna was, but I didn't see the twist coming about his origins even though I know there was something odd going on with the timeline of the Kreel murders and gate opening to The Upside Down. I kind of thought the long revel took away from Vesca doing scary things in real time, but I'm loving the latest foray into The Upside Down. There are a lot of dangling plot threads after the first batch of episodes. I hope the writers answer some of those questions in the remaining episodes. I'm kind of wondering how they can have a big battle between Eleven and Vecna and wrap things up in the remaining time even with the longer episodes. She better get out of the underground lab soon. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend finally got me to sit down and check out a few episodes.  That was 2 weeks ago with Season 1, Episode 1.

I'm all caught up now.  Wow, what a damn show.  Normally when a show is hyped to me as much as this was, for some reason or another i don't see it(Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer? lol), but this one met and exceeded all of the hype for me personally.

I WAS Eddie in High school(still dress like him too, wearing a metal battle vest as we speak) and while watching the "Trapped in the Upside down" episode, i couldn't help but think of the Breakfast Club

Eddie is Judd Nelson, Steve is Emilio, Nancy is Molly Ringwald, Robin is Jennifer Jason Leigh and Dustin is Anthony Michael Hall.  (I may or may not have been a tad stoned during it)

I love this show, so much.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

My girlfriend finally got me to sit down and check out a few episodes.  That was 2 weeks ago with Season 1, Episode 1.

I'm all caught up now.  Wow, what a damn show.  Normally when a show is hyped to me as much as this was, for some reason or another i don't see it(Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer? lol), but this one met and exceeded all of the hype for me personally.

I WAS Eddie in High school(still dress like him too, wearing a metal battle vest as we speak) and while watching the "Trapped in the Upside down" episode, i couldn't help but think of the Breakfast Club

Eddie is Judd Nelson, Steve is Emilio, Nancy is Molly Ringwald, Robin is Jennifer Jason Leigh and Dustin is Anthony Michael Hall.  (I may or may not have been a tad stoned during it)

I love this show, so much.

Love the Breakfast Club comparison, but it was Ally Sheedy, not JJL.

• Like 1

Did what's up of season 4 this week.  

It's better than I thought it would be.  Couple of things though...  would, even in CompSci circles, what we know now as 'the internet' have been called 'the internet' in early 1986? 

And as soon as they said 001 was missing, I put 2 and 2 together.  Was expecting someone among the principles to bite it, but looks like not.  

And even in the ~4 hours or so they have left, they have a LOT of loose ends to wrap up.  Because this has been like watching three or four different series at the same time, just flipping the channel back and forth between them.  

Also, Sudden Badass Murray is just not working for me.  I've been thinking he's clearly punching above his weight, but him suddenly being a martial arts master who's fluent in Russian (with no American accent!), is just a bit too far a stretch.  

Anyway, it's been good, just don't see where they're going with this.  And I'm not going to be thrilled because I'm pretty sure it's just a cliffhanger ending for season 5 when it's 18 months later and suddenly the 'kids' from Hawkins are in their 20s.

• Like 1