DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ha!  I thought I was the only one who noticed how funny it was that  Conservative pundits on Fox & Friends lashed out at Dems for not coming down harder on Harvey Weinstein for sexual misconduct and in the same breath Fox hires Bill O'Reilly back after being disgraced and shitcanned for exhibiting the same behavior.

It is amazing how smug Fox News is about this considering they've had O'Reilly/Ailes/Bolling all get their business put on the street just in the past year.  But self-reflection has never been their strong suit.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:21 AM, Craig H said:

Wow, I had no idea until tonight, but Andy Signore was fired from Screen Junkies for being a total fucking creep. Like, really egregious shit. What the fuck is wrong with people.

It's always been like this and only got worse as women were given more rights in the modern era. People with some level of power, authority or perceived celebrity tend to be disgusting scumbags for some reason. Goes many ways and with all genders of course. We just suck as a species.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:21 AM, Zimbra said:

It is amazing how smug Fox News is about this considering they've had O'Reilly/Ailes/Bolling all get their business put on the street just in the past year.  But self-reflection has never been their strong suit.

A lot of that is also just deflection from other interesting things going on that actually count as a bigger story, not to deflate the issue at hand.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"I was drunk, I don't remember what happened, and by the way, I'm gay" is a deflection, not an apology, no matter how elegantly Kevin Spacey's PR team wrote it.

The more positive by product of this is that male actors are also acknowledging that this thing doesn't just create victims out of women and it is arguably even more difficult for a man to speak up about his experiences with sexual harassment. 

More men need to find the courage these women have shown and they need to stand along side of their female compatriots and say #MeToo.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"I was drunk, I don't remember what happened, and by the way, I'm gay" is a deflection, not an apology, no matter how elegantly Kevin Spacey's PR team wrote it.

It accomplished what they wanted it to, apparently, as there are several outlets that are (or at least were, until they caught hell from enough people) framing the story as "OMG Kevin Spacey came out of the closet" rather than the fact that he tried to molest a 14-year old.

Hollywood sucks. The media that enables and covers up for them also really sucks a lot.

It does feel pretty gross that Spacey stayed closeted during the whole debate over gay civil rights but comes out and drapes himself in the rainbow flag to deflect from the assault allegations.  

I hope Bryan Singer's predatory ass is next.

• Like 3

Spacey has famously been, I dunno what to call it, openly closeted for years.  As far as I know this is the first time he's acknowledged anything about his personal/romantic life publicly.

It would be legit fascinating to hear Spacey speak openly about his sexuality and the decisions he's made but that was vanishingly unlikely before this and probably impossible now.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not for nothin but it's also how Jack Tripper would try to get out of being caught fondling Mr Furley's niece.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yeah, they got asked about it and said the decision had already been made.

I wonder how they're going to deal with  Charlie Heaton's airport coke issues with Stranger Things, since that's probably going to give him a hard time traveling from the UK to film the show.

44 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Can't blame Netflix for that in a sense and the show may have been winding down, anyway. (I don't watch it, so I don't know where they are storywise). But a lot of people just lost their job because Spacey is scum. That's rough.

I maintain that the 3rd-worst thing that Cosby did was take a bunch of royalty checks out of Phylicia Rashad's wallet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gonzo said:

It accomplished what they wanted it to, apparently, as there are several outlets that are (or at least were, until they caught hell from enough people) framing the story as "OMG Kevin Spacey came out of the closet" rather than the fact that he tried to molest a 14-year old.

Hollywood sucks. The media that enables and covers up for them also really sucks a lot.

It worked for Jim McGreevey.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What is after serial predator: ghost dad or Leonard part 6? 

I was actually going to say the "poundcake" speech but those are both acceptable answers.