DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

7 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I think the notion that Mark Wahlberg is a giant piece of shit should just be taken for granted in any story about him. 

So true.  But at the same time, if everyone else did reshoots just for per diem money because "OMG this is art and we need to make sure this movie gets made," then they're a bunch of marks. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I'll probably get killed for this, but can somebody explain to me why the Violet Paley stuff merited this degree of reporting?  I mean, the story there is two people are in a romantic relationship, the dude wants sex, she really doesn't but goes along with it anyway.  I feel like, at one point or another, that has been the story of 100% of sexual relationships ever.  I'm not sure why that required reporters to be dispatched to interview corroborating witnesses or merited inclusion alongside the other stories in the first place.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

I'll probably get killed for this, but can somebody explain to me why the Violet Paley stuff merited this degree of reporting?  I mean, the story there is two people are in a romantic relationship, the dude wants sex, she really doesn't but goes along with it anyway.  I feel like, at one point or another, that has been the story of 100% of sexual relationships ever.  I'm not sure why that required reporters to be dispatched to interview corroborating witnesses or merited inclusion alongside the other stories in the first place.

I mean, this and similar things are why this movement is dying. Dave Chappelle was 100% right in The Bird Revelation. You can't fucking #metoo everything and whistleblow shit that shouldn't be whistleblown. If you're going to do that and point the finger at every fucking person that ever made a pass or a move on someone else then your movement is going to die.

• Like 3

Okay, good, so I'm not just alone on Out of Touch Asshole Island on this.

I mean, look:  human sexuality is weird and uncomfortable, and if you engage with it enough, you're bound to have a weird, uncomfortable experience.  Probably more than one.  And it's unfortunate.  But not every weird, uncomfortable thing that happens to you is some kind of crime or worthy of front page news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

TBH this is on Michelle Williams. If you believe one of the highest paid actors is working for scale and won't put the squeeze on people to get more, you will believe anything. I don't like Mark Wahlberg, but how the fuck is this his fault? It's called negotiating power.

That isn't how this works. This is on their representation. Both of which were WME.

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

That isn't how this works. This is on their representation. Both of which were WME.

.....and this changes Mark Wahlberg being a much bigger star than Michelle Williams and the dynamics of Hollywood the last century how? Because WME is not going to answer for this. They can sign another random actress to fill the void of Michelle Williams. They will survive her leaving their representation. Also, people in Hollywood don't have the spine to go after the talent agencies. That's career harakiri.

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

I like the whole narrative y'all are trying with Michelle Williams being some random nobody with her 4 Academy Award noms and having top billing in the film.

I know who Michelle Williams is, but that doesn't mean she's going to make as much as Mark Wahlberg. Award nominations doesn't necessarily mean what it did 20 or 25 years ago. They have like 50 awards shows in the span of six weeks and people barely watch the ones that matter. Personally, I stopped giving a shit who got nominated for anything years ago.  Basically, that mean don't jackshit in the grand scheme of things. She got hustled like a billion other people and nobody can do anything about it. Welcome to Hollywood, lady. Enjoy your stay.

10 minutes ago, Ace said:

Except, I dunno, bring it up so it doesn't happen again.

Dude, these people have no interest in changing how Hollywood works. It's going to happen a whole bunch of times because it's likely happened before. The naivety here is alarming.

11 minutes ago, Ace said:

I like the whole narrative y'all are trying with Michelle Williams being some random nobody with her 4 Academy Award noms and having top billing in the film.

I had no idea who she was until this news. She just hasn't done much that has interested me going off of her filmography.

39 minutes ago, EVA said:

Okay, good, so I'm not just alone on Out of Touch Asshole Island on this.

I mean, look:  human sexuality is weird and uncomfortable, and if you engage with it enough, you're bound to have a weird, uncomfortable experience.  Probably more than one.  And it's unfortunate.  But not every weird, uncomfortable thing that happens to you is some kind of crime or worthy of front page news.

I agree with everything you wrote here. I just don't know if there's enough of Paley's account available yet to definitely say this is a gray area situation. I hope we can acknowledge the complexity of sexual relationships without taking a step backward to the belief that it's not possible for someone to be sexually abused by a person that they're in a relationship with. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I had no idea who she was until this news. She just hasn't done much that has interested me going off of her filmography.

I confuse white people all the time so I have to look through the cast list to make sure it's not Carey Mulligan. I still have to do that for James Coburn and Lee Marvin.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Uh, a pretty famous and talented actress who was nominated and received awards for Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, Manchester by the Sea, My Week with Marilyn, etc. She started out on Dawson's Creek. Was married to Heath Ledger...

Ring any bells?

She is a successful actor but don't act like she is Julia Roberts or even Jennifer Lawrence in terms of fame. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Victator said:

She is a successful actor but don't act like she is Julia Roberts or even Jennifer Lawrence in terms of fame. 

Hopefully, one day she will be famous to where she will able to hold up people for money like Wahlberg did to bring this full circle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I confuse white people all the time so I have to look through the cast list to make sure it's not Carey Mulligan. I still have to do that for James Coburn and Lee Marvin.

I just looked up both Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams.  If I had to pick Michelle Williams in a line up, I would have picked Carey Mulligan.  Hopefully she doesn't kill anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace said:

"They both have the same agent!" is another simplistic factoid thrown out there in this shitshow by disingenuous news organizations looking to stir outrage.  The dogwhistle being there was some sort of agency collusion to reinforce gender-based wage gaps.

Both have agents who work for WME.  The WME who employs hundreds of other agents across multiple offices.  Wahlberg's rep probably negotiated without even knowing there was another WME-repped actor on the same set.  Does every WME agent know every other agent's clients?  The fact that both actor's reps worked for the same agency means nothing except to people who don't know any better.  As mentioned in another post, this movement is really going to be undone by boy who cried wolf bullshit like this, created whole cloth by sites and news organizations desperate to cash in on the scandal of the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I just looked up both Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams.  If I had to pick Michelle Williams in a line up, I would have picked Carey Mulligan.  Hopefully she doesn't kill anyone.

I might somehow pick Destiny Child's Michelle Williams over the Michelle Williams we're actually talking about. Then again, as noted in the Star Wars thread, I am awful with names and faces.

When I saw Mark Wahlberg's name show up here I got confused for a minute.  Sounds like that situation is on their representation and the producers more than anything.  

Also, whether the agents don't know each other or not, sounds like Williams needs new or better representation.  

From Dec 20: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/19/michelle-williams-mark-wahlberg-reshot-kevin-spaceys-all-money-scenes-free/966670001/

But what might surprise moviegoers is that following the sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey, A-listers like Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg flew to Europe and did it for free.

So if you don't quite get why she's mad, they (Wahlberg included) let the world believe they did it on equal footing. He or his representatives could have squashed this when USA Today called. Or, if for some insane reason USA Today didn't properly source the article, they could've when it was published. But they are just as guilty as Scott and the producers here.