DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

Well, it's because they're working in high level govt. positions. The catch 22 is it apparently includes harassment. 

Take in mind this is only, as the news said tonight, after officials got 700 (yes, 700) individual letters from female government employees about the issue, not to mention that one creep having to resign/retire. 

12 hours ago, Victator said:

A non disclosure agreement on sexual assault seems like it should be illegal to start with. Like signing a contract to sell your organs. 

Yeah, one thing I'v read multiple times during this entire shitshow from the start is that an NDA can't cover illegal activity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, one thing I'v read multiple times during this entire shitshow from the start is that an NDA can't cover illegal activity.

Didn't help Edward Snowden who still has to hide in Moscow.

29 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Didn't help Edward Snowden who still has to hide in Moscow.

As long as the Patriot Act is still on the books waiting to be misinterpreted and exploited, poor Edward will never be brought back home.

I was thinking the other day that one of the few good things to come out of the current administration's quest to obliterate Obama's legacy would be that Ed might receive a pardon, but then the "we hate leaks and leakers" thing kicked in and fucked that up.

My thoughts exactly.  It doesn't matter what the law says if the government has blanket extra-judiciary powers to go after anyone they decide to declare an enemy of the state. 

But for normal people, NDAs are supposedly not valid if they cover illegal activity. 

Snowden is a totally different deal; he (allegedly) violated federal laws about disclosure of classified information.  NDAs are civil instruments; the worst thing that can happen if you violate one is being sued.  But they're still bad and usually over-broad and should be done away with in most cases.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Snowden is a totally different deal; he (allegedly) violated federal laws about disclosure of classified information.  NDAs are civil instruments; the worst thing that can happen if you violate one is being sued.  But they're still bad and usually over-broad and should be done away with in most cases.

What Zimbra said.  Regardless of the NSA's rogue program deemed illegal after the fact, Snowden's method of blowing the whistle was also illegal.

Short of receiving a pardon or the DoJ dropping the charges (with Sessions in charge, don't hold your breath), Ed will never come home a free man..

The thing that worries me is that if Trump is as cozy with the Russians as it appears, it may come to pass that the administration works out a deal with Moscow to extradite Snowden to the US to face charges in exchange for some other political street cred.  The current lukewarm relationship the two countries have could use a little sweetening.

Hoda Kotb has officially replaced Matt Lauer as host of the Today Show on NBC. 

And unless Edward Snowden has sexually harassed someone, bring the conversation back to the topic in the subject head. 

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hoda Kotb has officially replaced Matt Lauer as host of the Today Show on NBC. 

And then announced she'd gotten a congratulatory text from Lauer and how happy she was for getting it.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

And then announced she'd gotten a congratulatory text from Lauer and how happy she was for getting it.

Really?  Jesus.  Makes you wonder how many people working on the show, men and women, are deep down thinking he's a good guy who got a bad rap.  Accusations can be made and the bad people can be fired (and given a golden parachute, shhhhh), but until the actual mentality changes among the male and female enablers of people like Lauer, nothing's really going to change and the firings are just empty gestures.

That's why the other half of Dave Chappelle's new special is amazing. Not Equiminity, the other, shorter one. He goes pretty deep into all of the sexual harassment stuff and mentions how in South Africa, blood should have filled the streets, but it didn't and then Chappelle goes into Truth and Reconciliation. At some point, you can't keep outing people and trying to take down "bad guys" because people will get numb and move on. What's worse, when that happens, it will be worse than it was before.

It was some powerful stuff. 

• Like 2

One thing is the website figured out really fast that this stuff was getting a ton of hits so they were doing new ones each day, even on people who would not be newsworthy normally. At some point acclimation kicks in and people adjust. Which is not fully a bad thing, you have to do that to survive. But it has its downside. 

4 hours ago, colonial said:

My take away from about 75% of these things is to ask, "Dude, how did you expect this to go?"

I'm a 36-year-old single man, who has a batting average with women that ranges from "OK," to "fuck, how did that happen," but I've never thought it was a good idea to strip naked and press my junk on a woman's thigh.  I just don't think that is the type of thing that would end with me getting laid, let alone all of the lawsuits, court trials, and harm to my reputation something like that would cause.  Why does a 60+ year old man think this behavior is OK?  The best advice about women I've ever received is that "your goal in every interaction with a woman is to make sure she'd want to do that again."  First conversation, make her want to talk to you again.  The first date, make sure she wants to go on another one.  First kiss, make sure she would like another one.  First sexual encounter, etc.  I don't know how you press your balls on a woman's leg in a way that she'd want that to happen again.  

People fall for the private rehearsal/audition at my house routine?

I heard someone (Claudia Jordan) tell a story about how Steven Seagal did this years ago where she went to the first audition (IIRC at an office) where there was a female casting director or PA there present but the callback was at his house. Then, he wanted to give her a tour of his house and tried to corner her upstairs.

Maybe it's just me, but if some position or role requires me to come to your home where it's just the two of us, I don't want it that bad.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As far as Steven Seagal harassment stories go, that one's pretty tame. 

There were a lot more details to that story, but I wanted to give the reader's digest version to relate back to the Ben Vereen thing.

7 hours ago, colonial said:

Ben Vereen apparently does not follow the simple "don't subject another woman to behavior that you'd hate for your daughter, wife, or girlfriend to endure" rule.

The tiniest shred of human decency will save you from a lot of trouble.

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ben Vereen apparently does not follow the simple "don't subject another woman to behavior that you'd hate for your daughter, wife, or girlfriend to endure" rule.

The tiniest shred of human decency will save you from a lot of trouble.

If you talk to the daughters, wives, and girlfriends, I bet that rule has been shattered like a cheap baseball bat. You don't have to go very far to find potential victims.