DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

Cranston gave an explanation of how men accused of such heinous crimes as Weinstein and Spacey could claw their way back into society’s good graces: “If they were to show us that they that they put the work in and are truly sorry and making amends and not defending their actions, but asking for forgiveness then maybe down the road there is room for that, maybe so. And then it would be up for us to determine, case for case, whether or not this person deserves a second chance. I think in the face of it, we should let that open. We shouldn’t close it off and say ‘to hell with him, rot and go away from us for the rest of your life.’ Let’s not do that, let’s be bigger than that. Let’s leave it open for the few who can make it through that gauntlet of trouble, and who have reclaimed their life and their dignity and respect for others. Maybe it’s possible.

This is a bit of a switch-up from the opinion Cranston voiced on Spacey’s career last week. In talking to BBC’s Newsbeat, Cranston said Spacey’s “a phenomenal actor, but he’s not a very good person. His career now, I think, is over.”

http://nationalpost.com/entertainment/celebrity/bryan-cranston-thinks-we-should-give-kevin-spacey-and-harvey-weinstein-a-second-chance

You'll have to read the story and honestly after reading it, it just feels like a story someone made up. And that's a problem. Stuff like that, even if real, is going to muddy the waters to the point where people stop caring. People shouldn't stop caring about this because process here hopefully means progress for people who don't have a high profile.

Anyway, there had to have been a better way to tell what happened or to get it out there on a website that looks at first glance like a risky click.

The TL;DR of it is that a person we'll call Jane Doe was friends with Gal Gadot. The partner of a third friend raped Jane Doe. When Jane Doe told Gal, Gal berated Jane Doe and told her the rape was her fault. Jane Doe also claims that Gal Gadot tried to force her to write a confession and apology letter to their friend because she fucked their friend's man(non-consensually).

The way the story was released has been kinda sketch, but then again I don't know how I would go about telling a story that damned a woman who has kinda of become the new face of feminism. It's not being picked up by any credible news outlets, but they also let a lot of shit slide.

Could be true, could be a bullshit. 

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

You should probably leave that kind of talk out of this thread.  

No, I meant that's the type of people. I'm not making it political, just assuming those are the ones. End of story. I have no takes on her because I don't want to make it a political thing. She's just some actress/model to me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The TL;DR of it is that a person we'll call Jane Doe was friends with Gal Gadot. The partner of a third friend raped Jane Doe. When Jane Doe told Gal, Gal berated Jane Doe and told her the rape was her fault. Jane Doe also claims that Gal Gadot tried to force her to write a confession and apology letter to their friend because she fucked their friend's man(non-consensually).

The way the story was released has been kinda sketch, but then again I don't know how I would go about telling a story that damned a woman who has kinda of become the new face of feminism. It's not being picked up by any credible news outlets, but they also let a lot of shit slide.

Could be true, could be a bullshit. 

...Why would someone force you to write an apology letter unless several people knew about this? I'm pretty sure a letter is going to escalate things, no?

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

No, I meant that's the type of people. I'm not making it political, just assuming those are the ones. End of story. I have no takes on her because I don't want to make it a political thing. She's just some actress/model to me.

Understood, thanks for clarifying.

If anyone ever wanted to watch Rose McGowan's directorial debut short, it didn't get any distribution, so she put it on the youtube for free:

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...Why would someone force you to write an apology letter unless several people knew about this? I'm pretty sure a letter is going to escalate things, no?

Bro, no idea. The story also has a bit in there about Gal preying on small rich dudes, by making them think they could fuck her if they buy her "lavish meals." Once she's fed, she chases them off with her Wonder Woman powers. There's a lot of why's.

It looks more and more like it's bogus. Some people are pointing out that the timeline seems a little off because she'd be in the army at that point. Or that it sounds familiar to a scene she did in a movie.

17 hours ago, piranesi said:

I'll just say this and bow out.  I have a feeling it is going to get harder and harder to know what to believe.  I have a real creeping fear now that certain political groups/websites especially here in the U.S., already well known for manufacturing false controversies with doctored videos, etc. and who have made it perfectly clear that they are in the business of creating false stories for clicks, are preparing a barrage of false accusations as a political weapon and/or just for the quick money that comes from going viral with diehard followers of certain people.

And it makes all the sense in the world to do that with the types of stories where people are saying "You have to listen to these and believe them."

Unfortunately the Gadot story - IF IT'S NOT TRUE, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE - could mean that this window of victims being listened to is starting to close.

9 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

And it makes all the sense in the world to do that with the types of stories where people are saying "You have to listen to these and believe them."

Unfortunately the Gadot story - IF IT'S NOT TRUE, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE - could mean that this window of victims being listened to is starting to close.

I think there needs to be a discernment between "being listened to" and "being believed". I'm willing to listen to all the accusations and take them seriously, even this one against Gal Gadot, despite some clear weirdness. I don't necessarily believe all of them 100%. That's a slippery slope to go down if we just believe the accuser right out of the gate on everything. Why do it just for sexual assault, why not for other crimes? I understand the desire to be believed, since so many actual victims, particularly the women, are just outright dismissed on a daily basis because of biases against their gender. But I can't get behind saying that every man and woman that accuses someone of a sex crime should be believed because so many victims were failed in the past.

• Like 2

That Al Franken / Leeann Tweeden story is fucking horrible.  I am starting to agree with Ryan that the best thing for humanity is for a planetoid the size of Texas to hit the Earth in the center of the Atlantic Ocean.

I can't wait to get home to watch MSNBC and listen to the Dems argue about how this is quid pro quo political character assassination for Ron Moody when there is a fucking picture there to serve as evidence.

One of my old roomies back in the day had a huge crush on Leeann Tweeden when she was a Playboy model.  He is probably smashing everything breakable at his house right now.

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Al flew too close to the sun instead of just jackin' it to Fitness Beach like the rest of us commoners.

First of all, that is TMI.

Second of all, we will not speak of the importance of Kimiko Tanaka and Kiana Tom to my adolescent life.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

First of all, that is TMI.

Second of all, we will not speak of the importance of Kimiko Tanaka and Kiana Tom to my adolescent life.

Between those two and Jeanette Lee, ESPN is probably responsible for a whole generation of dudes who have weird Asian fetishes.  

Franken statement:

23715179_10155208228397183_434014572_o.j

Sorry, Al. I liked you a lot as a Senator, but this doesn't need an investigation. I don't care about what jokes or skits you wrote as a comedian. This was you sticking your tongue in a woman's mouth without her consent and taking a picture of you groping her breasts while she was asleep. People who do that should not hold high office. Period.

Al Franken should resign from office. If he does not, he should be expelled from the Senate.

• Like 1

What's weird about finding Asian women pretty? Just because you have a harem of real dolls all named Kimiko waiting at home doesn't mean you're abnormal! Right, Technico Cibernetico?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That Al Franken / Leeann Tweeden story is fucking horrible.  I am starting to agree with Ryan that the best thing for humanity is for a planetoid the size of Texas to hit the Earth in the center of the Atlantic Ocean.

I can't wait to get home to watch MSNBC and listen to the Dems argue about how this is quid pro quo political character assassination for Ron Moody when there is a fucking picture there to serve as evidence.

One of my old roomies back in the day had a huge crush on Leeann Tweeden when she was a Playboy model.  He is probably smashing everything breakable at his house right now.

Ron Moody? What did the guy who played Fagin in "Oliver!" do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1