DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Louis CK is a really smart guy. And his comedy is great self-flagellation That first special he does for his comeback will do mega bucks.

That statement he made was the first move in an epic judo reversal. And people will be fine with it.

Phrasing?

Louis C.K.'s apology is the best one that's come out so far, at least that I've seen.

It's still got that "I didn't realize it was wrong" bullshit, but at least there is a complete owning up to his actions, no denial or "I was drunk and don't remember and look over here at this other thing" that a certain A-list predator used.

It's a low bar, and it far from solves anything, but Louis at least cleared that.

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Something i was wondering the other day...

We are seeing folks getting fired and projects scuttled, but I wonder if we will start seeing their past work redacted. 

Well, HBO pulled all their Louis CK content from HBO Go/HBO Now (but not from Amazon Prime Video)

You can watch Cosby reruns on Bounce.

Roman Polanski movies are getting remastered in glorious 4K.

You'll see cute little gestures like HBO taking down a show from a streaming service, which is like the equivalent of changing your avatar to rainbow colors on Twitter. But I don't think we'll see people's art "redacted" like we saw Chris Benoit erased after that tragedy.

• Like 1

Louis's entire reply could have been crafted by his agent and publicity team for all we know. And, note to Jeremy Piven, polygraph tests are inadmissible in court for a reason, they can be faked and are about as reliable as just guessing. They're useless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

You can watch Cosby reruns on Bounce.

Roman Polanski movies are getting remastered in glorious 4K.

You'll see cute little gestures like HBO taking down a show from a streaming service, which is like the equivalent of changing your avatar to rainbow colors on Twitter. But I don't think we'll see people's art "redacted" like we saw Chris Benoit erased after that tragedy.

And I'm not exactly sure we should redact their work.

Do we want to send every Miramax/The Weinstein Company/Dimension film down the memory hole? I'm not saying no, because I literally have never watched a Polanski film in my life. But it's easier to avoid stuff I've never seen than to say I'll never again watch this thing I enjoyed. Kevin Spacey was in a lot of movies I love, and gave great performances in them. I don't have any problem with his future work being cancelled, but that doesn't mean Seven, GGGR, and Baby Driver won't still be watched by me.

I guess there's probably not a "correct" answer.

On the other hand, Entourage can be deleted at any time. 

• Like 2

You're absolutely right. There's no correct answer. I still watch Polanski films. Even the new ones. But I don't have to look at his face every frame. Cosby Show is one of my favorite shoes of all time. It's 1a and 1b with Twilight Zone. I need more time before I watch that again. But then I feel a guilty that I'm trying to move on so I won't feel guilty about enjoying a rapist's incredibly wholesome and timeless television show.

I think of Dave Chappelle's amazing joke about a superhero that "rapes to save, saves way more than rapes, but.... he does rape" all the time.

There's always going to be cognitive dissonance.

A few years ago, people started going to stores and putting stickers on Chris Brown CDs that said "This man beats women" and then they started doing it with John Lennon CDs as well. And I instantly started justifying buying Lennon's albums "he's dead so it's not like he's getting anything. Some of the royalties even go to at least one of his victims. Etc etc" but the truth is, I like Lennon's music, and don't really care for Brown's.

I mean, this is a wrestling board. If we didn't have cognitive dissonance from horrible people and their work, could we even watch it at all? Like ninety percent of the industry is sleazy people who have done bad things to one degree or another.

In terms of abusing women, Kurt Angle and Steve Austin are both still beloved and get celebrated by fans despite us knowing for a fact they were abusive to ex-wives. But hey, we keep watching cause it's not like there's a corner of the industry untouched by it so to be fans at all...

And that's not even touching on all of the ways Vince is creepy. Even just when you consider the number of times he booked angles where he groped supermodels who couldn't exactly say no and stay employed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's always going to be cognitive dissonance.

A few years ago, people started going to stores and putting stickers on Chris Brown CDs that said "This man beats women" and then they started doing it with John Lennon CDs as well. And I instantly started justifying buying Lennon's albums "he's dead so it's not like he's getting anything. Some of the royalties even go to at least one of his victims. Etc etc" but the truth is, I like Lennon's music, and don't really care for Brown's.

Chris Brown has the same fandom that R. Kelly use to have since Public Announcement until Step in the Name of Love. They won't go away until he stops making the music they like. However, R. Kelly still has that MILF and young girl fan base that was all of three years old when the sex tape thing happened. If they don't know or care about that, they certainly don't know about the crazy stories of all the Caligula type shit he use to do with girls (and boys) in Chicago. That's why he can have sex cults in 2017 even with his waning popularity. To be fair to Chris, I haven't heard him doing shit like that (R. Kelly has been doing shit like that since Chris has been alive and probably longer). He is just one of those thirsty conceited, attention hungry dudes who hangs out with random folks. That's why he had that crazy groupie chick almost get him into trouble. In about ten years time, Chris might regret some of the shit he has done. Or he can be like Tyrese, have meltdowns on the internet, and lie about power couples giving him 5 million dollars. There is that side.

58 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I mean, this is a wrestling board. If we didn't have cognitive dissonance from horrible people and their work, could we even watch it at all? Like ninety percent of the industry is sleazy people who have done bad things to one degree or another.

In terms of abusing women, Kurt Angle and Steve Austin are both still beloved and get celebrated by fans despite us knowing for a fact they were abusive to ex-wives. But hey, we keep watching cause it's not like there's a corner of the industry untouched by it so to be fans at all...

And that's not even touching on all of the ways Vince is creepy. Even just when you consider the number of times he booked angles where he groped supermodels who couldn't exactly say no and stay employed.

I'm sure we all have our stories. But I was born into domestic abuse and it went back generations. I would see and hear horrible things. You learn to make these thing palpable to survive. 

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

I feel like a publicity team would've written "exposed myself" rather than "showed a woman my dick".

He wrote 95% of that and the PR team did the spelling & grammar check and made sure he got the "Yeah, Dave Becky had nothing to do with this" in there. 

• Like 2