DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I was actually going to say the "poundcake" speech but those are both acceptable answers.

I was going to say "bullshit respectability politics and victim-blaming" but on googling I see that the poundcake speech was what I was thinking of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Baby Driver is probably tainted now too.  Good thing for Edgar Wright that it's already made its money.

Not to make light, but this allegation coming to the surface earlier and causing Baby Driver to tank definitely would've helped me out in the Summer Blockbuster Pool.

I am a horrible person for thinking that.

• Haha 1

That Spacey did not immediately deny it is telling. If I were accused of something like that, an emphatic "Hell No!!" would be my immediate response. This was "I don't remember but that sounds like me." Which certainly implies there are more to come. 

How have we made it this far without Michael Bay being brought up, I wonder? I mean, I remember reading about silly shit he was making Megan Fox do during the "Transformers" filmings that would make goes curl.

34 minutes ago, nate said:

How have we made it this far without Michael Bay being brought up, I wonder? I mean, I remember reading about silly shit he was making Megan Fox do during the "Transformers" filmings that would make goes curl.

I thought that was all about Michael Bay being complete shit to everybody and not about him singling out Megan Fox?

I also remember her saying something to the effect that he's a great guy off set, but she can't work for him because he's a tyrant while the cameras are rolling.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/jul/05/johnny-depp-megan-fox

Here's that Michael Bay story which is almost 10 years old.  Not sure if it really happened.  Allegedly, Bay had Fox wash his ferrari as an audition for Transformers. Considering the way Bay depicts women in his films, it's pretty believable. When this story came out at the time, and it was pretty widely reported, I think it was more like "Michael Bay is a douchebag, lol." Let's be honest. The Transformers movie were just big dumb action movies. People didn't take them seriously. And people didn't take Michael Bay seriously either.  I think with this story, it's the same.  Like you laugh at this story rather than seriously take it as a reason to say, "Michael Bay is a disgusting creepy, pervert and should be banned from the industry."

As for Megan Fox calling Bay "Hitler," that was a public relations nightmare on her end, and it was seen as Fox being an entitled, spoiled drama queen.  Then some crew members wrote angry essays about how Fox was difficult to work with and was acting like a spoiled brat.  Spielberg asked Bay to fire her from the third movie as a result. 

I was looking at that in hindsight, granted, but still, with the current fervor, wondering why it's not been made a bigger deal of.  Someone could look at the car washing audition as sexual harassment, and assuming one would laugh at it, best believe someone wouldn't.

Not advocating for the guy to get called out on something that isn't there (as long as nothing truly is there), but I'm surprised nonetheless that someone hasn't made a deal of something.

18 minutes ago, nate said:

I was looking at that in hindsight, granted, but still, with the current fervor, wondering why it's not been made a bigger deal of.  Someone could look at the car washing audition as sexual harassment, and assuming one would laugh at it, best believe someone wouldn't.

Not advocating for the guy to get called out on something that isn't there (as long as nothing truly is there), but I'm surprised nonetheless that someone hasn't made a deal of something.

If your boss asked his female secretary to wash his car as part of her interview, you'd call it sexual harassment.  Why give him a pass here?  Fuck that dude, and all the other dudes who pull this shit.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If your boss asked his female secretary to wash his car as part of her interview, you'd call it sexual harassment.  Why give him a pass here?  Fuck that dude, and all the other dudes who pull this shit.  

I agree with this, and also with odessasteps here ...

47 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I assume the defense would go something like this

"There's a car washing scene in the movie. I just want to see how good she is at washing a car."

I simply was saying 1) Seems like there'd be some shit come out about Michael Bay coming out, with the skeevy shit we already know, but 2) Since it's a sensitive subject, and 2a) it's *is* Hollywood, I wasn't advocating that a guy who may only be guilty of being a douchebag be raked thru the streets unless something really is there.  Like he has someone wash his car as an audition for his remake of "Sense and Sensibilities", then that footage is found in his hard drive in a folder marked "spank bank".

There's also James Cameron and Steven Spielberg's issues.  Just saying.   I'm not saying they are sexually harassing actresses, but if we are going to talk about this now, they've both participated in some questionable behavior on their films. Is it that hard to believe they could've been engaging in some questionable BS?