DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I would put the over/under of women who used a fake sexual harassment/assault claim to advance their career at exactly zero.

I've seen this happen twice, firsthand.  You are 100% incorrect.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:01 AM, Technico Support said:

Defending this shit with "well actually it's really easy to accidentally be accused of harassment" is some MRA bullshit.

This is crap. 

Example from my life: have a secretary at work that I'm friends with. Was turning in some paperwork to her and she was giving me a (joking) hard time. I put my hands on my hips and gave her an exaggerated, joking, "Do I have to call HR?" We laughed. She took my paperwork and that was that. The next day she got called in to her n boss's office and yelled at for being difficult with me. Because somebody 20 feet away that couldn't even see us, that we didn't even know was there, but heard things out of context, misunderstood everything. It got straightened out but it really is that easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

This is crap. 

Example from my life: have a secretary at work that I'm friends with. Was turning in some paperwork to her and she was giving me a (joking) hard time. I put my hands on my hips and gave her an exaggerated, joking, "Do I have to call HR?" We laughed. She took my paperwork and that was that. The next day she got called in to her n boss's office and yelled at for being difficult with me. Because somebody 20 feet away that couldn't even see us, that we didn't even know was there, but heard things out of context, misunderstood everything. It got straightened out but it really is that easy. 

So lets break this situation down without all your hysteria.

1) An employee saw what appeared to be an incident of harrassment at work

2) They reported this incident to HR/management

3) Management followed up with the employee and, it sounds like, had a discussion about appropriate workplace behavior.

-Fin-

No one got fired, written up,  or effectively disciplined in any way (which is good!).

So what exactly are you pissing and moaning about this time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

So lets break this situation down without all your hysteria.

1) An employee saw what appeared to be an incident of harrassment at work

2) They reported this incident to HR/management

3) Management followed up with the employee and, it sounds like, had a discussion about appropriate workplace behavior.

-Fin-

No one got fired, written up,  or effectively disciplined in any way (which is good!).

So what exactly are you pissing and moaning about this time?

Setting aside your wildly false accusation that I am speaking or spreading "hysteria" or that I'm "pissing and moaning" (giving a real world example is hysteria and pissing and moaning? You trying to be the poster child for overheated hyperbole?) 

You'll recall that I said it was easy to be falsely accused not punished. My coworker was falsely accused. Yes, it got sorted out. Doesn't change my point. 

I have some catching up to do with this thread but there's some shit going on on the Twitter about this guy Dan Schneider who created a lot of teen shows on Nick.  I think he was originally an actor on Head of the Class or whatever. Anyway,  I've always felt there's something off about him and the teen shows are way into sexual innuendo, it's pretty disgusting.  I don't remember all the details but he seems like a huge fucking creep. I hope someone airs his ass out. Ariana Grande and some others are very powerful,  surely they could end him. 

On 10/12/2017 at 11:23 PM, SorceressKnight said:

Of course, but even then, considering the info is out there already, it's surprising it hasn't been brought up again in this climate. 

It wouldn't be the first time- Cosby's crimes were known about for at least ten years before Hannibal Burress brought them to the forefront and they stuck.

Cosby's predilections were known in the 70s.

I'm going to call it early, by the time this thread has ended (likely via Mod lockdown) the following things will have occurred: 

1. Two, possibly three posters will have been banned for making with the weird, super-creepy posts.

2 . Certain posters will remain willfully obtuse, complaining that others "lack a sense of humor" or are too "thin-skinned".

3. I will hate humanity just a bit more than I do right now...

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm going to call it early, by the time this thread has ended (likely via Mod lockdown) the following things will have occurred: 

1. Two, possibly three posters will have been banned for making with the weird, super-creepy posts.

2 . Certain posters will remain willfully obtuse, complaining that others "lack a sense of humor" or are too "thin-skinned".

3. I will hate humanity just a bit more than I do right now...

and more importantly from Burgundy

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

As a woman, one of the precious few on DVDVR: my feelings are being validated in all the wrong ways.

Before it's locked! 

jiFfM.jpg

Do I get a prize? I'll accept pennies.

EDIT: btw I am agreeing with both if you are a complete idiot. And Burgundy would be Picard in this situation

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have some catching up to do with this thread but there's some shit going on on the Twitter about this guy Dan Schneider who created a lot of teen shows on Nick.  I think he was originally an actor on Head of the Class or whatever. Anyway,  I've always felt there's something off about him and the teen shows are way into sexual innuendo, it's pretty disgusting.  I don't remember all the details but he seems like a huge fucking creep. I hope someone airs his ass out. Ariana Grande and some others are very powerful,  surely they could end him. 

Yeah, rumors about Schneider have floated around for years. He spear-headed Keenan & Kel, Zoey 101, and several well-known Nick shows. There was some terrible stuff going around concerning Amanda Bynes and Jamie Lynn Spears (younger sister to Britney) that I won't disgust us with. There have been some heavy implications concerning Schneider, but not concrete as best I recall.

Schneider is even worse than Weinstein in my book, in that he's dealing with very young children and parents who may or may not have getting rich through said children in mind.  One only has to look at Bynes and realize some shady shit went down with her at some point. Not accusing her parents of being bad people, I can't call that. Just that something went very wrong with her.

I posted earlier that I felt that the Hollywood Elite could have banded together and helped to stop Weinstein before it got this far. Part of me still believes that. But based on what's been posted in this thread, I'm starting to have doubts. If we have fellow DVDVR members with such cynical views, then that cynicism grows 100-hold with money and power involved.

I'm thinking of the sexist/misogynist comments made toward me on this board over the years. I would call it out, and be met with the hysterical bitch rhetoric. Other members seemed to just shrug and act like nothing happened. 

I say this to illustrate that if you can't or won't flag that sort of thing on a message board with nothing at stake, then expecting more from someone who has something tangible in the balance may be unfair on our part. 

I'm not accusing every member of that behavior. Most have been thoughtful and considerate over the years. And I rarely bring up my gender, I only do so now because it feels important to this discussion. 

I always knew women and children hold little or no value in our society. I suppose my disappointment in having that confirmed here shouldn't disappoint me.

But it does.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Yeah, rumors about Schneider have floated around for years. He spear-headed Keenan & Kel, Zoey 101, and several well-known Nick shows. There was some terrible stuff going around concerning Amanda Bynes and Jamie Lynn Spears (younger sister to Britney) that I won't disgust us with. There have been some heavy implications concerning Schneider, but not concrete as best I recall.

Schneider is even worse than Weinstein in my book, in that he's dealing with very young children and parents who may or may not have getting rich through said children in mind.  One only has to look at Bynes and realize some shady shit went down with her at some point. Not accusing her parents of being bad people, I can't call that. Just that something went very wrong with her.

I posted earlier that I felt that the Hollywood Elite could have banded together and helped to stop Weinstein before it got this far. Part of me still believes that. But based on what's been posted in this thread, I'm starting to have doubts. If we have fellow DVDVR members with such cynical views, then that cynicism grows 100-hold with money and power involved.

I'm thinking of the sexist/misogynist comments made toward me on this board over the years. I would call it out, and be met with the hysterical bitch rhetoric. Other members seemed to just shrug and act like nothing happened. 

I say this to illustrate that if you can't or won't flag that sort of thing on a message board with nothing at stake, then expecting more from someone who has something tangible in the balance may be unfair on our part. 

I'm not accusing every member of that behavior. Most have been thoughtful and considerate over the years. And I rarely bring up my gender, I only do so now because it feels important to this discussion. 

I always knew women and children hold little or no value in our society. I suppose my disappointment in having that confirmed here shouldn't disappoint me.

But it does.

On behalf of my awful gender, sorry.

Don't be sorry @Johnny Sorrow. You've always been a good egg. I try my best to take everyone on a case-by-case basis. :)

And this isn't turning me into some man-hater. It merely reinforces how we as 'civilized' people find ways not to value each other. It's about gender in this thread.  But it can easily be race, religion, nationality, whether we like our toilet paper under or over. We find reasons to downgrade everyone's existence without understanding that doing so devalues our own place in the world.

Linus Van Pelt once said that he loved humanity, it was people he couldn't stand. Bless that blanket-loving Peanut. He had it right all along.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This thread shouldn't be about workplace rules and regulations anyway.  We are discussing Weinstein and Hollywood and the things Weinstein is accused of go far beyond a joke or convo that someone may have misinterpreted. 

You are absolutely right. Weinstein's actions were reprehensible. 

Here's the thing: Powerful men in powerful institutions take advantage of women so often, to so little consequence, we barely notice until it suddenly all comes out at once.

The Cosby thing probably is the best example of this: it was known and ignored forever until suddenly it stuck.

It's really fucking easy to say "well Weinstein's victims should've spoken out, people would believe the big name." The fuck they will. Rose McGowan was a big star, see how helpful that was? Johnny Depp was accused of abusing Amber Heard... And it was barely a story. (And I'm just as guilty here, I just bought all five Pirate films cause my stepdad is a huge fan of them)

Tim Lambesis, who nobody not into the metal scene had ever heard of, tried to hire a hitman to kill his wife. He got out of prison three years early, and just this weekend there was a huge outpouring of support for him, full of dudes saying "she tried to take his kids, it's justified." Or "well I've wanted to kill someone before, no one got hurt."

How many women came forward about Cosby? How many people still defend him? He got acquitted, reportedly because one of the jurors was a fan so refused to believe Cosby could've done it.

How often are raped women called sluts, either in that exact word or in round about ways? 

Why did the person who leaked the video of the Stubenville rape get a longer sentence than the rapists? The Stanford swimmer case...

There is nothing in our society that says women will be believed, and even if they are, that they'll actually see anything resembling justice served.

And, yes, occasionally false accusations happen. And it's fucking awful. Both because it can ruin an innocent life and because it contributes to all this bullshit. But let's not fucking act like it's common, or on the same level as actual rape.

Seriously, if there are some women in your life that trust you, and you get a chance, ask them about times they've been made to feel objectified and vulnerable by men. It'll almost certainly be a sobering, eye opening experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"Audiences don't like you. They say your personality is somewhere between Joe Piscapo and the fat kid from Head Of The Class."

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Here's the thing: Powerful men in powerful institutions take advantage of women so often, to so little consequence, we barely notice until it suddenly all comes out at once.

What's so disgusting is a lot of these people become so synonymous with the institution (Weinstein/Ailes) or become an institution themselves (Cosby) that they become invincible. Taking them down means taking down a company or a carefully cultivated image that has a financial value. The idea that there are all these people (and I'm not talking about the victims) that know what's going on and just look away in self-interest or in the interest of the institution is ....I don't even know what the word for it is. It does make you question humanity.

I know everyone is dying to hear what Woody fucking Allen thinks about all of this.

No one ever came to me or told me horror stories with any real seriousness. And they wouldn't, because you're not interested in it. You're interested in making your movie. But you do hear a million fanciful rumours all the time. And some turn out to be true and some - many - are just stories about this actress, or that actor. The whole Harvey Weinstein thing is very sad for everybody involved. Tragic for the poor women that were involved, sad for Harvey that hislife is so messed up. There's no winners in that, it's just very, very sad and tragic for those poor women that had to go through that.

You also don't want it to lead to a witch hunt atmosphere, a Salem atmosphere, where every guy in an office who winks at a woman is suddenly having to call a lawyer to defend himself. That's not right either. But sure, you hope that something like this could be transformed into a benefit for people rather than just a sad or tragic situation.