DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

29 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Alia Shawcat has told an insane story about a consensual encounter with an unnamed actor that's often credited to him because he's gained the reputation of being a creep. 

So that's who she might've been talking about on Party Legends (Viceland)? For some reason I imagined it being Tobey Maguire. 

37 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Yeah, Casey still got his statue. 

In hindsight, it's incredible that Franco got a pass when that underage girl had the receipts on his advances a couple of years ago.

Alia Shawcat has told an insane story about a consensual encounter with an unnamed actor that's often credited to him because he's gained the reputation of being a creep. 

List of "fuck that guy" recipients:

1) James Franco/ Randy Orton (tie)

... Then a wiiiiide berth 'til #2.

I saw Sorvino semi-regularly when he was working on something near me a few years ago. He always traveled with at least one intimidating yoked-up dude in a track suit (it kept my friend from asking him to sign a copy of See Spot Run.) I'm sure if that's how he actually rolled he'd have no problem getting one of those guys to beat the shit out of Weinstein.

It turns out Mark Wahlberg's people leveraged $1.5 million out of the production of All the Money in the World for the reshoots, then the producers misled Michelle Williams into believing he was working for scale like she was. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/business/media/spacey-whalberg-williams-all-the-money-in-the-world.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

It turns out Mark Wahlberg's people leveraged $1.5 million out of the production of All the Money in the World for the reshoots, then the producers misled Michelle Williams into believing he was working for scale like she was. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/business/media/spacey-whalberg-williams-all-the-money-in-the-world.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

TBH this is on Michelle Williams. If you believe one of the highest paid actors is working for scale and won't put the squeeze on people to get more, you will believe anything. I don't like Mark Wahlberg, but how the fuck is this his fault? It's called negotiating power.

I can't blame Wahlberg for trying to get more money.  The blame falls of everyone else here.  And while it's worth noting that Wahlberg and Williams are repped by the same agency, they have different agents.  This isn't a pay gap story, it's a story about cut throat business.  But it's a sexy headline to say a man got paid 10,000 times more than a woman.

It's funny to see thrsty-ass Jessica Chastain trying to pile on in defense of Williams in a clumsy attempt to whitewash her less than stellar last few weeks.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

TBH this is on Michelle Williams. If you believe one of the highest paid actors is working for scale and won't put the squeeze on people to get more, you will believe anything. I don't like Mark Wahlberg, but how the fuck is this his fault? It's called negotiating power.

Spot on. Many years ago a start up publisher offered me $10K for a project, in reality it was more like a $4K-$5K type of gig. I got flipped some shit for "taking advantage of newbies". Horseshit, they offered me the money and mama didn't raise no fools, I said "Yes!"  Wahlberg's a real easy guy to dislike, but he certainly didn't do anything wrong by asking for more money. If the money people didn't think what he was bringing to the table was worth it they easily could have said "No."

• Like 1

I understand the producers were in crisis mode, but they're dumb as dogshit for not getting out in front of this story. Even if they weren't flush with money after the reshoots and paying Wahlberg, I'm sure there was some kind of profit participation deal they could've reached with Williams so this didn't get out. I don't know why they thought in the current climate this wouldn't leak and be conflated with a gender pay gap issue. 

As far as Wahlberg, that's the way business is done. He had them over a barrel, and the article does point out that he was the most bankable star internationally in the cast and he knew it. He's not Williams's keeper, and it's not his responsibility to make sure the producers don't fuck her over. I wouldn't be surprised if he or Ridley Scott make some kind of public overture for good publicity, even if it shouldn't be on them to do so. 

• Like 1

Uh, a pretty famous and talented actress who was nominated and received awards for Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, Manchester by the Sea, My Week with Marilyn, etc. She started out on Dawson's Creek. Was married to Heath Ledger...

Ring any bells?

Also, for the love of all that's good, don't watch Blue Valentine unless you love the feeling you get from watching shit like the very end of the Mist.

It's like saying Aiden English should get paid as much as John Cena. I'd rather watch Aiden English, but he's not the major draw.

Shouldn't the story be about how people came together for super cheap to quickly replace a sex offender in their film, and Mark Wahlberg decided that was a good time to get paid?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It's like saying Aiden English should get paid as much as John Cena. I'd rather watch Aiden English, but he's not the major draw.

Shouldn't the story be about how people came together for super cheap to quickly replace a sex offender in their film, and Mark Wahlberg decided that was a good time to get paid.

That's a better story but far too nuanced.  It's easier to write clickbait headlines and get dumb people outraged with the story as it was written.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I understand the producers were in crisis mode, but they're dumb as dogshit for not getting out in front of this story. Even if they weren't flush with money after the reshoots and paying Wahlberg, I'm sure there was some kind of profit participation deal they could've reached with Williams so this didn't get out. I don't know why they thought in the current climate this wouldn't leak and be conflated with a gender pay gap issue. 

As far as Wahlberg, that's the way business is done. He had them over a barrel, and the article does point out that he was the most bankable star internationally in the cast and he knew it. He's not Williams's keeper, and it's not his responsibility to make sure the producers don't fuck her over. I wouldn't be surprised if he or Ridley Scott make some kind of public overture for good publicity, even if it shouldn't be on them to do so. 

With the film being out already, other than a make-good just to be nice, what would be the point? It's not like it was a big box office smash, and I expect the news cycle will make this whole thing disappear pretty quickly.

• Like 1