DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

Miguel Sano of the Minnesota Twins and Avery Bradley of the Detroit Pistons have both been accused of sexual assault.  In Bradley's case he paid his accuser up to $400k to sign a confidentiality agreement.  Both have denied the allegations.

I have a feeling there are a lot of pro athletes getting real nervous this morning.

This stuff continues to make me wonder what might have happened to Steeler Boy if all this particular worm had started turning back then, without the need for things like Ray Rice & Weinstein to have helped push things to where they are now. Then again, it was handled by Goodell, who's never found something he couldn't fuck up.

• Like 1

https://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/why-i-stopped-watching-woody-allen-movies

The last line cracked me up. I don't know if she was directly referring to Hitler or not, but that's immediately where my mind went, probably because I just read "Hitler Painted Roses" by Harlan Ellison. 

And of course, she's right: you don't have to watch this shit anymore. I'm reminded of the Larry Bishop character in Kill Bill Vol. 2 saying "fuckin' with your cash is the only thing you kids seem to understand". You don't pay to see it, you don't view it, maybe... just maybe... they'll learn a lesson. But probably not, unfortunately.

• Like 1

To be fair, it's not like modern Woody Allen movies are massive cash cows. I feel like most of his films this decade have only been seen by film critics and like 25 die hard* Allen fans.

*Insert John McLane joke here.

2 hours ago, Execproducer said:

They do if they have a thing for Penelope Cruz. And Scarlett Johansson.

That's also the only reason Woody makes movies.

Personally I got tired of seeing Woody's first drafts on screen, him being a creep was just icing.

Match Point is the only Woody Allen film I have seen this century. Before that, Sweet and Lowdown and Crimes and Misdemeanors, so I am far from a die-hard.  The whole Soon-Yi thing is pretty damn creepy but they have been married a long time so that is their business. The child abuse allegations are murky as hell and aren't going to stop me from watching a Penelope Cruz film.

The only thing that is going to stop me from watching a Penelope Cruz film is if Tom Cruise is in it, 'acting'. Tom Cruise is 10x creepier than Woody Allen.