DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

Ethan Kath, co-founder of the band Crystal Castles, is being investigated by Toronto police for “sex crimes” after 4 women came forward. One of them was underage (15) when they started talking online, and said he started a sexual relationship with her when she was 16.

Earlier in the year, Alice Glass (who co-founded the band with Ethan and left the group a year or two ago) accused him of assault and rape and he responded with a defamation lawsuit.

• Sad 1

Crystal Castles was always about Alice Glass, to me anyway. So it doesn’t ruin my enjoyment. It’s not like Ethan brought anything to the table that anyone else couldn’t. Her solo stuff is really good too, if that helps you any.

Oh, and one of the women that was in “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” that Max Landis made a few years ago accused him of being a predator and assaulting women. Yikes. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Crystal Castles was always about Alice Glass, to me anyway. So it doesn’t ruin my enjoyment. It’s not like Ethan brought anything to the table that anyone else couldn’t. Her solo stuff is really good too, if that helps you any.

Oh, and one of the women that was in “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” that Max Landis made a few years ago accused him of being a predator and assaulting women. Yikes. 

On the former, that's a good point.

On the latter, that's disappointing if not surprising. Landis totally gives me the same vibes as some abusive dudes playing at being feminist I've met in real life. Minus actually playing at being a feminist, so basically just surrounding himself with good looking women and pretending to be good with women.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Ethan Kath, co-founder of the band Crystal Castles, is being investigated by Toronto police for “sex crimes” after 4 women came forward. One of them was underage (15) when they started talking online, and said he started a sexual relationship with her when she was 16.

Earlier in the year, Alice Glass (who co-founded the band with Ethan and left the group a year or two ago) accused him of assault and rape and he responded with a defamation lawsuit.

I remember when I was first getting into them that I read he was a giant prick of the highest order (similar to the guys from Death From Above 1979), so it isn't surprising but still disappointing. I love their first two albums and even their third without Alice was really great I thought. I'll have to check out her solo stuff.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Here's what she wrote:

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Well fuck. That fucking sucks, I've seen Crystal Castles 3 times and I've met him a couple times and he was always super cool to me. Should have realized something was off about him when he put up a facebook comment a few weeks ago throwing Alice under the bus for having substance abuse issues. It was one of those things that was shitty to read, but you just sort of ignore it because you're like...well I don't really know the situation and I dig the dude's music, so...

Alice Glass released a statement and it's pretty tough to read. Sexually abusing her at 15, feeding her drugs and alcohol, being violent and controlling. Seriously, fuck him.

• Sad 1

And what did I say on page two of this sadly 42 page thread? 

I've seen this shit turn up in the punk rock scene. THE PUNK ROCK SCENE. Where people are supposed to be socially conscious, politically liberated, intelligent and caring, at least until some sociopath gets a girl drunk and pulls his dick out.

Meanwhile in Alabama....

Doug Jones was officially certified as the winner of the Senate election today.  And ol' coot Roy Moore STILL has not conceded.

Now, for your enjoyment, a sampling of the write-in votes:

BIG GAME JAMES GOES TO WASHINGTON is a movie I'd like to see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Somebody who died two years ago today nailed this whole goddamn thread with one song 

You think you see me, in the glass
You think you hear me, you better listen fast,
I think I see you, gone to seed,
The only reasons, were your guilt and greed,
You're out there on your own,
Your face turned to stone,
Whatever happened to your life?
Stone Dead Forever

It's been a long time, been a long long wait,
And you've caught your fingers, in the Pearly Gates,
You'd better leave your number, and we'll call you,
You know your problems, ain't exactly new,