DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, we're going to get an insane amount of camera time for Matt Damon sitting there looking noticeably uncomfortable as people indirectly throw shade at him.

"Indirect shade" is part of the problem.  Passive aggressive tactics like sitting there rolling your eyes or maybe kinda sorta saying something bad about an abuser, while still keeping plausible deniability, is such bullshit.  There was an article yesterday on, maybe Jezebel, about a roundatble discussion with Kate Winslet and some other major name actresses (Jessica Chastain was one).  Winslet was defending Woody Allen and all the other actresses made a big deal out of making "can you believe this bitch?" faces, mugging for the camera to make sure their displeasure was caught on film, yet none actually called Winslet out.  I guess why do the hard work of calling someone out when you can just roll your eyes or make vague comments?  The latter will get enough retweets anyway, right?

Edited by Technico Support

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Silicon Valley and Deadpool are his two major recentish credits. Cloverfield back in the day.

He's also the voice of the Mucus Wad in the Mucinex commercials.

Irony.

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You're the best damn mucus wad I know, if that's any help. 

This brings me neither comfort nor confidence, Matt.

I'm doing my best not to wish for a mountain of coal to be dumped on your car on the 25th.  Christmas is supposed to be about goodwill and Lord knows I am trying my hardest.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

"Indirect shade" is part of the problem.  Passive aggressive tactics like sitting there rolling your eyes or maybe kinda sorta saying something bad about an abuser, while still keeping plausible deniability, is such bullshit.  There was an article yesterday on, maybe Jezebel, about a roundatble discussion with Kate Winslet and some other major name actresses (Jessica Chastain was one).  Winslet was defending Woody Allen and all the other actresses made a big deal out of making "can you believe this bitch?" faces, mugging for the camera to make sure their displeasure was caught on film, yet none actually called Winslet out.  I guess why do the hard work of calling someone out when you can just roll your eyes or make vague comments?  The latter will get enough retweets anyway, right?

Well, that's how passive aggression works.  Now if Winslet calls them out, they can treat her like shit because she's overreacting and they didn't do anything or Winslet misunderstood.  That's then how gaslighting gets started.

People are really shit at their core sometimes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Interesting that you mention Chastain and plausible deniability

I didn't know Bryan Singer was involved in the X-Men films when I signed on.

Right...

• Like 3

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/20/jessica-chastain-harvey-weinstein-hollywood-harassment

“I know,” Chastain says, wearily. “[Sorkin] said that when he was writing this film, he knew it was important. And he couldn’t articulate why.” The answer, it turns out, is that in those poker games, we see a microcosm of patriarchal society. “Maybe a month ago, a friend of mine had seen the film, and she sent me the definition of ‘patriarchy’.” She laughs. “And I was like, oh my gosh, that’s exactly what the film is.”

*sigh* If you need to be told what it is...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So USA Gymnastics allegedly paid McKayla Maroney to keep her mouth shut about Larry Nasar. 

This USA Gymnastics/Michigan State/Nasar thing is looking like an uglier Penn State.

I read a column calling it worse than Penn State or Baylor, but it's not been given attention because:

1. It's not a major US money making sport.

2. It's male on female sexual assault (as opposed to Sandusky) 

Oh it's definitely worse. MSU let him work for sixteen months while knowing he was under investigation. They then slapped a "just not see patients alone" restriction on him, and simply trusted him to follow it without monitoring or enforcement. Even after the scandal broke, USA Gymnastics were covering up. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

So USA Gymnastics allegedly paid McKayla Maroney to keep her mouth shut about Larry Nasar. 

This USA Gymnastics/Michigan State/Nasar thing is looking like an uglier Penn State.

To make matters worse, didn't one of her team mates basically victim blame her saying she brought it on herself due to taking some provocative selfies?

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And since we are back to the sports allegations - I feel like Cam Newton is going regret his standing by Jerry Richardson

It goes back to what I said when the Bob McNair thing happened. A lot of these players feel if you say anything remotely not positive about an owner and what he has done for you, the feeling is that you're ungrateful. I don't think Cam is the sharpest person (he did use the phrase "comparing apples to apples" FWIW), but at the same time, I don't think anyone can't fault him for something he has been conditioned to do unless he outright said all these allegations are not true with zero evidence to back it up. Maybe he should go "no comment" and move on, but these guys and the whole loyalty thing is embedded in most of them unless you flat out are unabashedly horrible.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

He's also the voice of the Mucus Wad in the Mucinex commercials.

Irony.

How would you even list such a thing on your CV?

• Haha 1

You don't. My solution is to destroy the world and see what else takes over and if anything evolves to be the top of the heap. Then they can repeat the same cycle as our species. This involves me somehow becoming immortal, but we'll get to that later.

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

To make matters worse, didn't one of her team mates basically victim blame her saying she brought it on herself due to taking some provocative selfies?

I'm not sure about that.  I think it was Gabby Douglas who seemed to be victim blaming Aly Raisman but I couldn't tell what she meant.  

12 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure about that.  I think it was Gabby Douglas who seemed to be victim blaming Aly Raisman but I couldn't tell what she meant.  

Right, it was Douglas.  And then something like a week later, Douglas apologized for the victim blaming comments and revealed that she, too, had been abused.  So the victim blaming was probably in part some self-loathing/internalization thing, which is awful.