DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Michael Rappaport sucks more. Go tell Michael Rappaport to go fuck Michael Rappaport. Also, of all the people you want to talk shit to, you pick John Oliver? Rappaport is dumb as a box of rocks. If Oliver doesn't go after him it will be because it's too easy.

Rapaport is literally his character from Bamboozled and it doesn't surprise me one bit. I don't know if Spike casted him on purpose like Jordan Peele went out of his way to get West Wing alumni for Get Out, but it makes all the sense.

He is the "I have a bunch of black friends (and I know about "black" things like basketball) therefore I'm cool and I should feel entitled" dude. He shouldn't be the spokesperson for anyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rapaport is literally his character from Bamboozled and it doesn't surprise me one bit. I don't know if Spike casted him on purpose like Jordan Peele went out of his way to get West Wing alumni for Get Out, but it makes all the sense.

He is the "I have a bunch of black friends (and I know about "black" things like basketball) therefore I'm cool and I should feel entitled" dude. He shouldn't be the spokesperson for anyone.

He's the spokesman for loudmouthed pricks who want to know why it's ok for rappers to say the n-word but not them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I await Volition responding to this by putting out a Saints Row reboot with a mission where Julius figures out that Troy Bradshaw is a narc and wants you to clip him and make it look like an accident.

Volition laid off 30 people here in Champaign this year but are apparently still functioning; I thought they'd shut down entirely. 

*sigh* What did Perlman say/do? 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Volition laid off 30 people here in Champaign this year but are apparently still functioning; I thought they'd shut down entirely. 

Off topic, but my friend was one of the lucky ones to keep his job there.

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Basically tried to defend Rapaport in that he said Oliver should have brought it up "in the proper venue"

https://www.themarysue.com/how-ron-perlman-and-michael-rapaport-ruin-progress/

That has a whole write up with Perlman's Tweets plus a 2nd Rapaport tweet that includes a video

I'm fine bringing it up. I'm just not fine with it being John Oliver that did it. He's one of the last people I want to have a conversation with regarding anything of importance.

I have no particular horse in this race since I'm not the biggest John Oliver fan either (because wasn't Franken THE quintessential liberal darling or at least one of them not too long ago), but I know enough about John Oliver to know that if I got anything going on outside that he might bring it up as an aside. Dustin probably had no clue who he was, but it's the job of his people to know. Hell, he knows Bobby De Niro and it's basically his event since it was Tribeca related so it couldn't be hard to find a new moderator. Find anyone who will lob you softball questions about Wag the Dog or whatever fucking Barry Levinson film those guys were in.

Sad day.  I don't know about all these accusations,  the stuff from Leeann Tweeden certainly didn't pass the smell test.  What I do know is that Al was pretty good at his job and I was fine with an investigation.  I am not fine with him being forced out by his colleagues especially considering there is absolutely nothing to gain from being the party of a "higher moral standard".  Nothing to gain.  Let the investigation run its course and if it's found he has to go then fine, do it then. 

• Like 2

I actually do have a higher moral standard, so fuck him and I liked him a lot. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and try and find as many ways as possible to write off any possible discretion he may or may not have done. Just because other scumbags don't take the high road and bow out like they should doesn't mean I'm going to pretend there's not something there. Not a personal dig on anyone else, that's just how I feel personally. The conspiracy mongering and outright turning a blind eye insanity is what I can't accept from a lot of people I've read online.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I actually do have a higher moral standard, so fuck him and I liked him a lot. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and try and find as many ways as possible to write off any possible discretion he may or may not have done. Just because other scumbags don't take the high road and bow out like they should doesn't mean I'm going to pretend there's not something there. Not a personal dig on anyone else, that's just how I feel personally. The conspiracy mongering and outright turning a blind eye insanity is what I can't accept from a lot of people I've read online.

Like I said, let the investigation run its course. Jumping the gun on his exit, why? What's the point? 

4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Forgot to mention, I read up on this a little last night.  The biggest eye-opener to me was that one of his former co-hosts signed an NDA with WNYC, wouldn't give a statement in the original story in The Cut magazine, and now she's talking.  It's in blatant violation of the NDA, but she's decided telling her story is more important.

It could be that the NDA has expired. That's the reason the bulk of the Trump victims spoke up when they did.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Independent of Michael Rapaport being dumb as a rock, who is paying good money to go to a Wag the Dog retrospective?  It was, like, the 56th best movie of 1997.

Circle back to this for just one second.  You're not going to this to see Wag The Dog, you're going to this to see two living legends in Dustin Hoffman and Robert DeNiro being interviewed about politics or whatever by John Oliver in a low-key setting.  The 92nd Street Y does this sort of event all the time. 

It's just that this time the host had the balls to ask an extremely difficult question, and the star was stupid enough to answer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ace said:

It could be that the NDA has expired. That's the reason the bulk of the Trump victims spoke up when they did.

She at least strongly implies that it hasn't.  3rd last paragraph of the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2017/dec/06/john-hockenberry-wnyc-investigation

Burnt out back in 2009, I agreed to a buyout to which WNYC insisted I sign an NDA, a non-disclosure agreement. I have come to learn that NDAs are great weapons of silence. I speak up now at my own peril. I simply could not be silenced in the wake of such startling and disturbing reports that fit the horrifying pattern I experienced.

11 minutes ago, Ace said:

And if people are wondering how popular one must be to get through indiscretions unscathed, the answer is Johnny Depp.

While you are probably right - I still see folks every day pestering JK Rowling to use her influence and get Depp's role recast

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

While you are probably right - I still see folks every day pestering JK Rowling to use her influence and get Depp's role recast

Rowling actually just put out a statement saying she stands by the decision with some verbiage that sort of casually throws Amber Heard under the bus without actually saying her name or directly addressing things, in some real WASP power move shit. Horrible.

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Just random as a joke. I was falling asleep and thought "tomorrow Warren Moon will be accused of something." 

Well, he's had multiple issues with abuse - type stuff in the past...