DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

Pamela Anderson has a Phd in Sexual Harassment and Assault. She was at her peak during 90's sleaze. She was being offered cars and houses to sleep with people. I think instead of trying to boil down her statements into "Is she with us or against us" maybe people should actually see what she has to say about the subject.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Production has stopped on Bryan Singer's Freddy Mercury biopic due to Singer's "unexpected unavailability" so I expect that shoe to drop any day now.

Seems like it's just a good ole director actor dispute

So he's safe for now.

For now.

Can you imagine what Rami Malek/Bryan Singer fight would even look like? 

A Netflix Kids Programming exec was approached by one of the alleged rape victims accusing Danny Masterson. She asked why they made a big fuss about House of Cards/Kevin Spacey, but have done nothing over The Ranch and Danny Masterson. The exec responded that the higher ups in Netflix don't believe the accusers. She then revealed herself to be one of the four women and he had to quickly fix what he said.

From the second the Weinstein story broke Netflix has gotten absolutely cooked.

It is weird how swiftly Netflix moved on Spacey and CK, but Masterson gets the full benefit of the doubt treatment.

I'm starting to really give serious credence to Leah Remi's "the church of Scientology is protecting him" (conspiracy?) theory.

It's not really her theory. The victims said that the Church pressured them to shut up, and one woman said that that detectives told her not to talk to anyone because of known leaks to the church. 

Whether or not that goes to Netflix and why they'd not act just as swiftly on The Ranch as they did with House of Cards, I don't know. But I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they're trying to muck with the investigation.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Does Dustin Hoffman not have a publicist or handler? Because it doesn't take a genius to realize this wasn't going to end well.

Also, Jane Rosenthal's half court buzzer beater went into the crowd and hit a paralyzed man in the head. She should have edited her thoughts before they left her mouth.

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

How hard is "I have no comments about that" to say?

it is very hard if you are a doucbebag with a huge ego that is used to having the last word.

Who in their right mind verbally spars with John Oliver?  The man has razor sharp wit and can make you look like an asshole without even halfway trying.

Rosenthal then attempted to shift the conversation, replying, “It wasn’t produced by Weinstein Co. or Miramax, so you don’t have a really big conversation. Kevin Spacey wasn’t starring in it. Let’s look at real sexual criminal predators.”

“That’s a low bar,” said Oliver.

Rosenthal is now in the burn ward at the local hospital

It wasn't so much of a verbal spar, or some kind of EVISCERATION. Oliver was navigating shakey ground, and was pensive, and Hoffman was trying to not be the bad guy. He was actually pretty composed, considering he was having to speak off the cuff after being judged in front of a live audience.

However he stepped on a couple of landmines. 

I will say this is a difficult conversation to have with people who aren't in acting. The conversations I've had with mixed company backstage would probably get people fired at a normal job. The lines get blurred a lot in what is considered good taste and what is not, and it can be come difficult to keep from crossing those lines when they shift so much from person to person. There's an obvious level of respect that we try to maintain, but because of the nature of what we're doing sometimes shit just gets weird, especially when everyone is trying to achieve a certain level of inhibition. This isn't to justify Dustin's behavior, it's more to explain that there's a lot of gray area in acting and it's a very complex issue to wait through on stage or on a set. 

I mean it wasn't until this last year, after working in Chicago for 10, that I did a show in which the proper way to deal with people crossing those lines was even discussed. Before that there wasn't really a plan. You either sucked it up or exploded, and I've seen my share of both methods.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Does Dustin Hoffman not have a publicist or handler? Because it doesn't take a genius to realize this wasn't going to end well.

Hoffman's agent is Adam Venit, the same person who assaulted Terry Crews. I know it's not the same thing, but it's still interesting nonetheless. Crews' tweeted about it and said abusers protect abusers, which is absolutely correct.