DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

14 hours ago, lurkerbelow said:

There have been rumors and conspiracy theories about pedophile rings existing in Hollywood for many years now, and it's not a secret that young male actors have to get on the casting couch, probably as much as young actresses do.

A couple years back, on one of my numerous comedian podcast shows I listen to, an older gay gentleman guest was on and basically joked about the open secret among the gay community: they had parties that were basically cattle calls for young Hollywood male hopefuls, the executives and higher ups who swung that way attended and had their pick.

Virgin Princess Angel was in ECW in '93, which would be the year she turned 18. So maybe she was 17 on some of those shows, depending on when her Birthday is. But if your only corroborating evidence is a Paul E promo (from early 94 I think) where he talks about how she (a rival manager in a match he was building up) is a Wrestling groupie... not saying it didn't happen. But if she's saying she was 12 or 15, ECW didn't even exist in '87 or '90. 

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was wondering why Black Twitter (especially the females) was pissed at Lena Dunham (again). Now, it makes sense:

https://www.avclub.com/lena-dunham-defends-girls-writer-accused-of-sexual-assa-1820565531

When it came to either whiteness or being a female, she chose whiteness in this case.

Or maybe she, you know, just thinks the guy is innocent. Or doesn't want to accept that he would do such a thing, because of how nice he seemed to her when she worked with him.

Please don't racebait.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Or maybe she is a proven white supremacist by previous actions and you should shut the hell up.

I am not aware of any actions she may have made to show that she's a white supremacist; the only things I have ever read about her give me the impression that she is very left wing and politically correct; perhaps you are correct that she is, but I've never seen her do anything to make me think she is a white supremacist.

However, that being said, given the fact that your race even has an ethnic slur named after its tendency to blindly defend other members of the race when they are accused of wrongdoing (that slur being "Dindus", in other words "he Dindu Nuffin"), and thus you know the effects of individuals making bigoted comments about African Americans siding with their ethnic kinsmen based upon racial purposes, I would think that you would be the last human being to have room to criticize Lena or any other white woman for "choosing whiteness" over being a female or any other label or categorization - if she even did do that, which I'm not entirely convinced that she did. Please don't bring race into an issue of Dunham wanting to defend her friend, and saying her doing so is because of "choosing whiteness" - it smacks of bigotry and race-baiting, and you should be above that.

Even leaving race out of it (and she has a lot to answer for there, re: her show, Drake, Odell Beckham Jr, dumb tweets about Asians, etc), Dunham's presence in this conversation is still bound to do too much to muddy the waters. Her personal history is catnip for those looking to discredit the wave victims coming forward. I'd say she needs to stay out of it, but her sense of self-importance certainly won't allow that. 

I loved her show (I know, I know, even beyond my poor taste), but she is incredibly reckless with the things she puts out there and how she does so. She's damn near impossible to defend. She's like a performance artist who exists to play up all the worst stereotypes about the white liberals of her generation. 

9 minutes ago, lurkerbelow said:

I am not aware of any actions she may have made to show that she's a white supremacist; the only things I have ever read about her give me the impression that she is very left wing and politically correct; perhaps you are correct that she is, but I've never seen her do anything to make me think she is a white supremacist.

However, that being said, given the fact that your race even has an ethnic slur named after its tendency to blindly defend other members of the race when they are accused of wrongdoing (that slur being "Dindus", in other words "he Dindu Nuffin"), and thus you know the effects of individuals making bigoted comments about African Americans siding with their ethnic kinsmen based upon racial purposes, I would think that you would be the last human being to have room to criticize Lena or any other white woman for "choosing whiteness" over being a female or any other label or categorization - if she even did do that, which I'm not entirely convinced that she did. Please don't bring race into an issue of Dunham wanting to defend her friend, and saying her doing so is because of "choosing whiteness" - it smacks of bigotry and race-baiting, and you should be above that.

ds_12114_headline_b_v6.jpg

• Like 1

• jaedmc locked and unlocked this topic
  • jaedmc locked this topic
22 minutes ago, lurkerbelow said:

I am not aware of any actions she may have made to show that she's a white supremacist; the only things I have ever read about her give me the impression that she is very left wing and politically correct; perhaps you are correct that she is

Yeah, no we've passed the point of whether or not Lena Dunham is one. The proof is there. Anytime I can't or won't defend you (white, black, Asian, Native American, etc.) against the slew of "this is why black men are toxic this week" websites like TheRoot, TheGrio, MadameNoire, Refinery29, or any similar website, you know you fucked up or you have a tremendous history of being a racist piece of shit. 

22 minutes ago, lurkerbelow said:

However, that being said, given the fact that your race even has an ethnic slur named after its tendency to blindly defend other members of the race when they are accused of wrongdoing (that slur being "Dindus", in other words "he Dindu Nuffin"), and thus you know the effects of individuals making bigoted comments about African Americans siding with their ethnic kinsmen based upon racial purposes,

How did you enjoy your sleep, D.W. Griffith? A lot of things have changed in our world.

Here's your last shot. It's Thanksgiving week. If someone in this thread is behaving DUMB, do not engage them with more DUMB. Shoot me a message and I'll deal with it.

Add Charlie Rose and John Lasseter to the list of creepbags.

The fact that the women of Pixar created a defensive maneuver called THE LASSETER is the saddest shit ever.

• jaedmc unlocked this topic
37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Also during our break, Tambor quit Transparent in what I'm sure he'd like us to think is a principled stand against his accusers. 

Not a great look.

Also in that time, in Lena Dunham fashion, Lena Dunham walked back saying something that was idiotic, racist, and/or incredibly bizarre and "took back" her joint (?) statement in support of the "Girls" writer/producer who is being accused of sexual assault.

Also this:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/writer-zinzi-clemmons-leaves-lenny-letter-citing-dunhams-known-racism.html

I'm confused by the divest line since I don't know how much the Shea Butter feminists have invested in Lena Dunham of all people given that liberal white people barely give a shit about her now. Zinzi is feeling herself a bit since she has a book out and making the rounds to promote it (in her opinion, she "took down" a "major" celebrity), but I'm all for anyone putting Lena Dunham on front street.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Most women I know never gave a shit about her, some like the show though. This seems common.

It's almost like some people can separate the person ... from ... from the art ... the art, there.

... I got nuthin.

I don't know if Oliver Stone has been brought up, but it seems like he tried the "We got to wait until we know more...." in regards to Harvey Weinstein over a month ago. Then, he immediately walked that back and nixed his involvement in a Guantanamo TV series that the TWC was co-producing. 

Well....

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/13/patricia-arquette-former-playmate-accuse-oliver-stone-of-harassment/

More recently

http://www.nme.com/news/film/oliver-stone-melissa-gilbert-sexual-harassment-allegation-response-2162131

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

If you don't go into the random music thread, you can read what Vice posted about known asshole Morrissey defending Spacey and Weinstein and being a racist again there. 

Sadly, Morrissey is likely trying to grab the limelight by saying stupid shit. Something he's done for decades, in 2017, the sad fuck is about as relative as Soupy Sales and the Edsel.  

What's his name with the 250 awful jokes can have this one for free:

Q: Hey, what's the one thing better about Charley Manson than Morrissey?

A: Manson is quiet now.

• Like 3

The Charlie Rose thing is not a surprise.  Back in the 90's, Howard Stern would routinely crucify Rose for being a huge player and constantly saying he had more women than he knew what to do with.