DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

A good start with any investigation would be publicly identifying the anonymous harassers on Capitol Hill that warranted the 15 million dollars worth of settlement payouts they've had to issue since 2000. 

If Franken has any true north, this. 

The Stallone rape being found out through the police report and none of us ever knowing about it makes me want to crush my copy of First Blood right now

Hi there. I'm usually a lurker here,  but in the midst of this Hollywood burning down uproar I feel the need to make a comment about something regarding this whole debacle. I have not yet read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if it has already been said, and of course this does not only apply to this message board but to all discussions of this issue: why is everyone focusing only on women, when it appears the same thing happens to males in Hollywood (especially underage boys)? Terry Crews and Kevin Sorbo have made claims that they were the target of sexual wrongdoing, and Corey Feldman has been trying to tell his story for years, but he only got laughed at and ignored. There have been rumors and conspiracy theories about pedophile rings existing in Hollywood for many years now, and it's not a secret that young male actors have to get on the casting couch, probably as much as young actresses do. So why is the discourse only about women?

The discourse in the thread isn't only about women.  

We've all but called for the public asswhipping of Kevin Spacey for his transgressions against young male victims. 

There has also been some back and forth concerning the mother of the young man that Spacey groped as far as how she as a parent could let that happen to her child vs. her complicity in allowing her son to endure that abuse for the sake of continuing to find work in that industry.

We've also discussed the idea that the incidents of sexual assault against men in general is probably grossly underreported because men are shamed into not saying anything even more so than women are.

Ah, I see that now. I wasn't just talking about this forum, though; the discourse in general society seems to address only women. And I don't know why that is. I was watching a clip from The View on youtube recently and the women on that show only addressed female victims, and that seems to be the case both within the media and with everyday folks. It seems that it's easier to talk about sexual misconduct when the target of abuse is female, for some reason. I agree with you on the issue of men being shamed into not saying anything; that is a big taboo.

The focus of the discussion in the thread may appear to be only on women since they appear to make up the majority of the victims who are actually reporting.

Statistically, that is impossible.  We know that men are also being preyed upon as well and we can only hope that they find the courage to speak up and call out their offenders. 

I think that it is sad that men who have been assaulted in the past may refuse to report because they think that submission to such behavior is a ding to their masculinity. 

Being taken advantage of by another man does not mean that you are somehow less of a man.  It means that some other male used his position and influence to take advantage of you.

Sexual assault is about power and control; not sex.  It is not something born out of affection or anything decent or good.

My mom will be pleased that I continue to pay attention during the SHARP F2F seminars.

• Like 2

Hire Laverne Cox, ignore the past seasons of the show, move on. Done. Also, throw a brick at Tambor. If he ducks, Arrested Development can still exist.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

And  the show runner is married to a TERF, so it gets a bit tricky. 

The ability of TERFs and SWERFs to rationalize their own bullshit really is amazing.

I will just leave that there, lest my follow up tangent rant gets the thread closed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

And  the show runner is married to a TERF, so it gets a bit tricky.  We all want more trans representation, but it's problematic.

Really? I had no idea, isn't the whole inspiration of the show her parent coming out at age 70+ like Maura?

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The ability of TERFs and SWERFs to rationalize their own bullshit really is amazing.

I will just leave that there, lest my follow up tangent rant gets the thread closed.

This is perfectly said, no follow-up needed.

• Like 2

Soloway is still running the creative side, but she's had a "showrunner" since at least season 2.

Just because you're related to a trans person doesn't mean you're above transphobia.

Here's a long article on how Soloway and her partner, Eileen Myles made intensely transphobic statements in an interview about the show, but the main bits are below:

1886382d-4779-4304-847e-395ee881f146.png

I was wondering why Black Twitter (especially the females) was pissed at Lena Dunham (again). Now, it makes sense:

https://www.avclub.com/lena-dunham-defends-girls-writer-accused-of-sexual-assa-1820565531

When it came to either whiteness or being a female, she chose whiteness in this case.

There’s a lot of holes in her story, but a woman named Angel Amoroso is claiming Mick Foley, Dave Meltzer, Brian Pillman, Jim Cornette and Paul Heyman (among others) had sex with her when she was underage. The holes I mentioned are: the ages she claims vary wildly, from 12 to 14 to 15, but it’s entirely possible I guess that, if this is true, it happened at all of those ages. I’m on mobile so I can’t link any stories, but it’s out there on Facebook (her personal page to be specific), some wrestling news websites and Reddit.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So the timing on that is what?  1990 WCW? 

I’m not entirely sure to be honest. There’s a video on YouTube and a post on Facebook I haven’t read or watched yet since I’m at work having lunch right now. I know she was Virgin Princess in ECW around 1995, but I’m not sure how old she was then. Someone said she was born in ‘75, so 1990 would be around the right time for her accusations if 15 is the age she meant.