DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

And in today's round of Who's an Asshole in Hollywood, please welcome Sylvester Stallone. *SIGH*

Speaking of assholes, the sound you hear right now is Richard Gere doing the hardest clapping a single individual can ever do.

Sorry.

• Haha 1

It's amazing...I made a comment weeks ago about being thankful for being raised right. I thought of that again today. Why is this becoming such a big deal right now? It's been a big deal for a little bit and people have always been urged to come forward since, what, the 90s, but what was missing from so many of these people's lives that they thought these actions were remotely acceptable?

The answer isn't to have a meteor slam into the planet. The answer is to do better as a species in any small way we can and build one success or advancement on top of another. If this movement is part of that, then fine.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of assholes, the sound you hear right now is Richard Gere doing the hardest clapping a single individual can ever do.

Sorry.

I don't get the joke? Reference? Unless you're trying to say the Gere hamster rumor hasn't been brought back up and he's relieved, you've totally lost me.

9 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I don't get the joke? Reference? Unless you're trying to say the Gere hamster rumor hasn't been brought back up and he's relieved, you've totally lost me.

First of all, it was a gerbil.

Second, you're fucking right I'm making that joke in a thread where people are talking about their fetishes for Asian women (no slight to those gentlemen).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Second, you're fucking right I'm making that joke in a thread where people are talking about their fetishes for Asian women (no slight to those gentlemen).

Frankly its a miracle this thread is still open.. . .

Does it strike anyone as odd that all of these stories are coming out about Hollywood celebrities and politicians being sexual sleazebags, and there's nothing about anyone who was in an LA metal band in the late 80s, or any Gangsta rap guys? These were supposed to be the bad boys of the entertainment business, but they're actually the most gentlemanly?

Either that, or they never had to molest unwilling women because they had a long queue of extremely willing ones. Or there's loads of stories, and they've just not come out yet.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

How do you do that show without the titular trans parent?

Beats me.

I know a few pages back there was some discussion about continuing to enjoy the work these guys are in after allegations and admissions of guilt come to light. And that came to mind when I was reading about the approach Amazon is taking towards Tambor, because my first thought was "I hope this sort of approach doesn't delay the wide-release of Death of Stalin." While I think it should be more difficult for these people to find good work in the future when these allegations bare (bear?) out, there's a hugely selfish voice in my head that wants his entertainment and wants it now. And if something's already in the can, like Tambor's performance in Death of Stalin, I'm inclined to say they ought to leave well enough alone if that's the only practical way to present the finished product. I sense reshoots here would likely be more complicated than they were for Spacey in that Ridley Scott movie...

Full disclosure: I still watch Chris Benoit matches on the regular, even knowing that what I'm seeing may well have led to what happened in this final days of his life. I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to thinking about my entertainment above any more important human element. Which is a strange idea to wrestle with as a consumer. If I don't feel bad about continuing to like what I like, should I be trying harder to get my head into that space? Or is there no point in paying that kind of lip service with my entertainment preferences if I don't feel it?

That's a lot, and it was unsolicited so sorry about the rambling response. And it doesn't make me look very good. But it's a thing I've been thinking about when people say "I'll never be able to watch Kevin Spacey movies the same way!" I don't have that feeling. Don't give Spacey more spotlight and money and power going forward? Sure. But as many have said, I'll still watch Glengarry Glen Ross

Fortunately for Hollywood, the Primetime Emmys passed before these allegations. Oh man, can you imagine the Tambor and Spacey allegations coming out a few days before the Emmys? Now that would have been an awards show worth watching.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fortunately for Hollywood, the Primetime Emmys passed before these allegations. Oh man, can you imagine the Tambor and Spacey allegations coming out a few days before the Emmys? Now that would have been an awards show worth watching.

In a similar vein: If I were Ricky Gervais, I wouldn't be anticipating that call to host the Golden Globes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think that It is hilarious that the first thing you felt the need to clear up was what kind of animal it was.

But yeah,  It was a gerbil.

17 hours ago, C.S. said:

And in today's round of Who's an Asshole in Hollywood, please welcome Sylvester Stallone. *SIGH*

I am saddened, but not surprised.

18 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I think the reason Franken is going the investigation route is more for future incidents with other members of Congress where there isn't as much evidence. Franken knows his political career is dead and his 2020 hopes are gone. My guess is he lets the investigation play out and while they won't eject him from the Senate, they will censure him and he will list that as the reason he is quitting the Senate.

It does set a hell of a precedent if Al goes all the way with the investigation. He's basically taking a preemptive bullet. 

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's amazing...I made a comment weeks ago about being thankful for being raised right. I thought of that again today. Why is this becoming such a big deal right now? It's been a big deal for a little bit and people have always been urged to come forward since, what, the 90s, but what was missing from so many of these people's lives that they thought these actions were remotely acceptable?

The answer isn't to have a meteor slam into the planet. The answer is to do better as a species in any small way we can and build one success or advancement on top of another. If this movement is part of that, then fine.

As for why this is becoming such a big deal right now, this might get too political and if it does, I'm fine with having this deleted but I think the election of Donald Trump had a lot to do with it. There were a ton of allegations and then the Access Hollywood tape came out and he won. And then he won even though his female opponent got 3 million more votes. So now you have a bunch of angry women who feel disenfranchised and have no more fucks to give so they're willing to be more open about their abuse because nothing matters anymore. So now a bunch of open secrets from various industries come out in general public because more people are willing to name names in order to stop this from ever happening again .

As for why so many people thought these actions were remotely acceptable, I think it has to do with the fact that there were no consequences. Think of it like the baby learning about fire. You can tell them not to touch it because they could get hurt, but most of the time they still will put their hand on a burning stove top. Now what if they didn't get harmed, what if it was not hot to touch? They likely would do it again. So if you conduct bad behavior and nothing happens or worse you're rewarded for your bad behavior, I can easily see how this is happening so frequently