DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

I couldn't remember Kimiko Tanaka, had to Google to refresh my memory, and saw some screen shots from those shows.  What a bizarre time.

You know how we watch shows like Mad Men and look askance at their casual sexism, feeling dubious that the world could have ever been that way?  One day, I'll explain to my daughter that we had a three hour daily block of women tiny bikinis, titillating us under the guise of working out, on a major basic cable network and she'll look at me with the same incredulity. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I couldn't remember Kimiko Tanaka, had to Google to refresh my memory, and saw some screen shots from those shows.  What a bizarre time.

You know how we watch shows like Mad Men and look askance at their casual sexism, feeling dubious that the world could have ever been that way?  One day, I'll explain to my daughter that we had a three hour daily block of women tiny bikinis, titillating us under the guise of working out, on a major basic cable network and she'll look at me with the same incredulity. 

That and Jeanette Lee was pretty much the closest thing I ever saw to a dominatrix as a 13 year old.  Her entire steez was cold, emasculating dominance until she won and then she'd smile as if to say, "That was fun, right?" 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If you think that was a bizarre time go back about ten years and google "20 minute workout" on HBO. It was on every morning in between movies and let's say it was at least 16 minutes too long for most people watching.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That and Jeanette Lee was pretty much the closest thing I ever saw to a dominatrix as a 13 year old.  Her entire steez was cold, emasculating dominance until she won and then she'd smile as if to say, "That was fun, right?" 

*side-eye at @RIPPA*

50 minutes ago, happjack said:

Ron Moody? What did the guy who played Fagin in "Oliver!" do?

I am old and am not very good with names.

58 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Between those two and Jeanette Lee, ESPN is probably responsible for a whole generation of dudes who have weird Asian fetishes.

41 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Okay, so what you're saying is that I should google Jeanette Lee on my phone instead of my work computer.

45 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Franken statement:

23715179_10155208228397183_434014572_o.j

Sorry, Al. I liked you a lot as a Senator, but this doesn't need an investigation. I don't care about what jokes or skits you wrote as a comedian. This was you sticking your tongue in a woman's mouth without her consent and taking a picture of you groping her breasts while she was asleep. People who do that should not hold high office. Period.

Al Franken should resign from office. If he does not, he should be expelled from the Senate.

I think the reason Franken is going the investigation route is more for future incidents with other members of Congress where there isn't as much evidence. Franken knows his political career is dead and his 2020 hopes are gone. My guess is he lets the investigation play out and while they won't eject him from the Senate, they will censure him and he will list that as the reason he is quitting the Senate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I think the reason Franken is going the investigation route is more for future incidents with other members of Congress where there isn't as much evidence. Franken knows his political career is dead and his 2020 hopes are gone. My guess is he lets the investigation play out and while they won't eject him from the Senate, they will censure him and he will list that as the reason he is quitting the Senate.

There must be a full on party going on at Fox News right now with strippers and hookers and,... oh wait...

• Like 1

Yeah Franken's not going anywhere. It will be in the news for the cycle, then will get quietly dropped. He "might" retire at the end of his term, but I doubt it. The Senate's nasty place, and I bet you 75 percent of the male senators have done stuff like that or worse.  Not saying its right, but that's the way it is.But enough about politics before I get banned or what not. . . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

And it makes all the sense in the world to do that with the types of stories where people are saying "You have to listen to these and believe them."

Unfortunately the Gadot story - IF IT'S NOT TRUE, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE - could mean that this window of victims being listened to is starting to close.

I think we are very close to the saturation point. No one should have to go through anything like that has been described, but for me there's a difference between getting groped(again wrong) and the Louis CK/Weinstein/Spacey stuff, but that's me. . .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

The Senate's nasty place, and I bet you 75 percent of the male senators have done stuff like that or worse. 

For the rest of the US Government, EEO training is annual and mandatory.  I should know because I am a DoD employee and my mom was the EEO director at Ft. Lee, VA..

For the US Senate?  EEO training is optional. This explains a lot.

8 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

She's a pool player. supremebve is a weirdo.

In his defense, I never would've gotten the reference because I am shit at billiards.  My brother is the pool hustler of the family.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Imagining Senators watching SHARP videos...

The questions they would ask would've infuriated my mom to the point of assault and battery, so I'm glad she's retired.

"Does a skirt worn above the knee imply consent?"

"You can forcibly hug a woman as long as you don't squeeze her buttocks, correct?"

I am surprised my mom is not a raging alcoholic or isn't in jail for capital murder for strangling some LT COL with her bare hands..

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

*side-eye at @RIPPA*

The activity in this thread this morning got the "hot" tag to pop up. Who are we to argue? 

Mark me in the camp that thinks Franken survives this. Certain news organizations will make sure this story a nice long life. But the unfortunate truth is he's accused of something comparatively tame when measured against the other allegations to surface in recent weeks. And he essentially copped to it immediately. I think there's a path to him remaining in the senate after his current term is up (Not saying that's a good thing). 

Though president is certainly off the table for now.

5 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

She's a pool player. supremebve is a weirdo.

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realizat

I'm just saying, she was an attractive woman, who dressed in all black, and seemed to take great pleasure in destroying the spirit of her opponent.  Then she'd smile and shake their hand like she didn't just destroy them in the most intimidating way possible.  She looked like the sweetest most stereotypically sweet Asian woman, until she started playing and looked like she'd eat your soul.  As soon as the game was over, she'd go right back to the sweet, smiling woman, who looks like she'd bake you some cookies or some shit.  

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realizat

I'm just saying, she was an attractive woman, who dressed in all black, and seemed to take great pleasure in destroying the spirit of her opponent.  Then she'd smile and shake their hand like she didn't just destroy them in the most intimidating way possible.  She looked like the sweetest most stereotypically sweet Asian woman, until she started playing and looked like she'd eat your soul.  As soon as the game was over, she'd go right back to the sweet, smiling woman, who looks like she'd bake you some cookies or some shit.  

P2fhcL7.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

One day, I'll explain to my daughter that we had a three hour daily block of women tiny bikinis, titillating us under the guise of working out, on a major basic cable network and she'll look at me with the same incredulity. 

I get that look from my kid, too.

2687ab81362b9f5544142770d5c508e04cac85c5

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The activity in this thread this morning got the "hot" tag to pop up. Who are we to argue? 

Mark me in the camp that thinks Franken survives this. Certain news organizations will make sure this story a nice long life. But the unfortunate truth is he's accused of something comparatively tame when measured against the other allegations to surface in recent weeks. And he essentially copped to it immediately. I think there's a path to him remaining in the senate after his current term is up (Not saying that's a good thing). 

Though president is certainly off the table for now.

I think they'll be pressure from a lot of Democrats for Franken to step down, the Minnesota governor is a Democrat so they wouldn't lose the seat immediately and the chances of a Republican winning a special election there are slim.

Franken never had a shot at the White House in 2020, he would have been a great VP choice though.

Franken's gotta go.

Meanwhile, The Old Vic launched an internal investigation into Kevin Spacey's time as creative director and has generated twenty complaints of harassment so far, with at least a handful reporting the incidents to the police. I remember when he took the job in London in 2004 there was a weird story about him reporting a young man to the police for stealing his cell phone. He ended up recanting parts of his initial police report because it didn't check out, and I remember it mostly because it was the first time I recall hearing any kind of untoward stories about him related to anything like this. 

I appreciate Al's response but can't help but wonder what would have happened if there wasn't a photo.  Would he be as ashamed and sorry as he was in that statement?  Or would he deny everything under the guise of "I don't remember"?  He could be truly sorry for it, but at face value I see it as a "Sorry I got caught" situation.  Same can be said for anybody else accused that gives an apology.  But it'll take time for him and others to prove how sorry they are.  But while I lean Democrat (trying to be more centrist) I agree that he has to step down.  Party politics shouldn't get in the way of doing the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1