DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

John Travolta, William Hurt and Russell Simmons are in today’s wave of sexual allegations. More is coming out about Mariah Carey, too.

and the LAPD is forming a task force, so I guess that’s something.

The only part about the woman accusing Richard Dreyfuss that bothers me is "She began drafting a Facebook post that she shared with her friends."

It shows just how fucking ridiculous we are as a society of social media that anyone's first response to long-standing harassment is "let's head to Facebook!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

This is only the tip of the iceberg and we're going to be hearing about names for years to come. I don't think even wrestling in its little bubble will remain unscathed in this one. 

Considering Flair hasn't hit the headlines yet?

I have so many thoughts about the Mariah Carey accusation, and that is after her being 150% wrong if those accusations are true.  Mariah Carey is a woman who I've had a crush on since I was about 10 years old.  When I first heard her name was mentioned I had two thoughts.  The first thought was, what would Mariah Carey have to do to make me complain about her coming on to me sexually?  The second was, if there is someone nutty enough to make me go from wanting to have sex with her to wanting to run for my life, Mariah Carey is probably top 5 on the planet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Gal Gadot has stated that if Brett Ratner's production company is involved in Wonder Woman 2, she won't be.

That shouldn't be an issue since WB cut ties with him on 11/1 and Ratpac/WB deal expires in March (IIRC Ready Player One is the last Ratpac/WB film). By the time WW2 starts filming, they should have new financing.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, jaedmc said:

You can watch Cosby reruns on Bounce.

And you can also watch Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids on Saturday mornings.

Aly Raisman is now accusing the same team doctor that molested McKayla Mulrooney of also molesting her as well.

I must be a horrible human being because my outrage was white hot up until the point that she also said "and you can read about what happened to me in my upcoming book...." 

When does taking ownership of your tragedy officially morph into self exploitation for profit?

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When does taking ownership of your tragedy officially morph into self exploitation for profit?

I don't really understand this thinking.  She got molested, her story may help someone, she may also make money.  All things considered, making a dollar while possibly helping others is pretty much the only way to get something positive out of being molested as a child.  Being broke and not telling her story is not any more or less noble than telling people and making a profit.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't really understand this thinking.  She got molested, her story may help someone, she may also make money.  All things considered, making a dollar while possibly helping others is pretty much the only way to get something positive out of being molested as a child.  Being broke and not telling her story is not any more or less noble than telling people and making a profit.

That's the thing.  I feel terrible for that thought even crossing my mind. 

I'm definitely angry about what she suffered through as a child, but then she goes and makes it a talking point for a book promotion during a time where there is rabid interest in a book like that. Timing, as they say, is everything.

I guess I am just being a douchebag about her form of catharsis and it is not my place to criticize how she find her healing.

One thing I do admire about Aly going on the Twitter offense is that she takes on the "Why not report when it happened?" bullshit head on and asks people to consider the mechanisms and institutions put in place that kept victims in fear of reporting.

The "Why didn't she say something sooner?" angle is undoubtedly the thing that infuriates me most about the Roy Moore bullshit, as if a 14 year old accusing the Alabama Attorney General would've gotten a fair shake in the legal system in late 1970's Alabama. 

We as a nation didn't believe Anita Hill for fuck's sake.  Who would've taken the word of a teenage girl over the second most powerful man in the state of Alabama at that point in time?

As progressive as think I am, even I am not immune to the social grooming.

• Like 1

While it's not clear what specifically she's accusing him of, Elizabeth Perkins called out noted piece of shit human being James Woods over the weekend at the Los Angeles marches.

On the George Takei front - audio from an appearance on the Howard Stern Show seems to kind of confirm that he's at least groped unwilling men before in his home.

James Woods has been cancelled for a while for being a shitty, racist cokehead.

A cool thought I had while watching Baby Driver for the first time this weekend: I wonder if I've ever watched a movie that didn't have a rapist in it?

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

A cool thought I had while watching Baby Driver for the first time this weekend: I wonder if I've ever watched a movie that didn't have a rapist in it?

Well that's depressing thanks.