DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

"He’s clean as a hound’s tooth,” Ziegler claimed, before relying on Scripture to defend Moore.

"Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

Holy fuck.  Literally none of that shit really happened.  Might as well use Dr. Suess for legal statute.  "Your honor, while Sam-I-Am was indeed told over and over by his friend that he did not like green eggs and ham, his friend did eventually relent and try them and, upon sampling the dish, found he did quite enjoy them.  So rape is okay."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

And in not-really-shocking news the distributor for Louis CK's movie has declined to release it.

Well, there is always Netf....oh. Nevermind.

Lucky Louie has also been taken off the HBO in demand services, which will piss off the six people who saw the show when it was actually on the air.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Holy fuck.  Literally none of that shit really happened.  Might as well use Dr. Suess for legal statute.  "Your honor, while Sam-I-Am was indeed told over and over by his friend that he did not like green eggs and ham, his friend did eventually relent and try them and, upon sampling the dish, found he did quite enjoy them.  So rape is okay."

OK, the difference between the two is that those things actually happened in Green Eggs and Ham.  There is no mention of the ages of Joseph and Mary, but the point of the entire story is that their relationship was not sexual.  He is comparing the story of someone who explicitly tried to pursue a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl with a relationship so pure that God choose them to raise his only begotten son.  That is au-damn-dacity at the highest possible level.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Louis C.K., Andy Signore, Joss Whedon. I'm waiting for Judd Apatow and Patton Oswalt to join the list of schlubby dudes that got clout and nerds rally behind, who are also terrible to women.

I had that glass of scotch poured about last week waiting for Patton's name or Chappelle's name to come up, but apparently the worst thing Patton has done is to find love again and now get re-married after Michelle died. The monster!

• Like 1

Judy Haim, who has been calling bullshit on Corey Feldman, is admitting that Corey Haim was molested just not by Charlie Sheen.

I feel sorry so sorry for this woman. At the same time I don't think she knew everything that was going on in her son's life like she think she did. 

More Alabama politicians embarrassing themselves to defend Moore.  State Representative Ed Henry:

"If they believe this man is predatory, they are guilty of allowing him to exist for 40 years," Henry said. "I think someone should prosecute and go after them. You can't be a victim 40 years later, in my opinion."

Yeah I feel like this was quickly ignored.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Just a heads up try and keep the politics out. I know it's been difficult to separate because so much is happening at once, and you guys have done a great job. But I've been on this board for something like 10 years now. It never goes well. And that's coming from someone who used to fight to keep a politics thread open. So anyway just keep it to Hollywood and try to avoid any liberal/conservative commentary the best you can. And no it's not up for debate.

• Like 1

Louis C.K. has released a statement saying that everything is true...which is kind of refreshing, but kind of not refreshing.  It is like taking a hot shower, but instead of being showered in water you are showered in raw sewage.  I guess what I'm saying is I like that he didn't act like these women are lying, but I still feel dirty as fuck.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Louis C.K. has released a statement saying that everything is true...which is kind of refreshing, but kind of not refreshing.  It is like taking a hot shower, but instead of being showered in water you are showered in raw sewage.  I guess what I'm saying is I like that he didn't act like these women are lying, but I still feel dirty as fuck.  

He basically had to do that considering the few degrees of separation between his deeds and the powerful people associated with film and TV industry. I'm sure a lot of people like him (and probably will take a chance to help revive his career in the next few years), but they ain't about to let Louis C.K. bring this whole thing down. Nope. 

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He basically had to do that considering the few degrees of separation between his deeds and the powerful people associated with film and TV industry. I'm sure a lot of people like him (and probably will take a chance to help revive his career in the next few years), but they ain't about to let Louis C.K. bring this whole thing down. Nope. 

Yep. They're closing ranks and letting him take the hit. I'm sure everyone in power hopes all this blows over by next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yep. They're closing ranks and letting him take the hit. I'm sure everyone in power hopes all this blows over by next year. 

Yeah, I don't know if you guys have noticed Mel Gibson is back.  They know that if they wait long enough, they can bring any of these people back and the public will forget.

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

jaedmc mentioned Joss Whedon earlier.  What happened with Whedon, and is it independent of what his ex-wife talked about in that article that got published a while back?

No, he didn't do anything outside of that article that we know of. I brought him up because he was another guy people thought was "one of the good guys", that turned out to be pretty fucking gross too. Nothing illegal, but still skeezy.

Louis CK is a really smart guy. And his comedy is great self-flagellation That first special he does for his comeback will do mega bucks.

That statement he made was the first move in an epic judo reversal. And people will be fine with it.

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Only part of his statement I didn't care for was him apologizing for bringing negative attention to his manager. Louis is the big face at the front of this thing so he can try to take the heat, but Becky should have to own his part in this. 

Hint: He won't.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hint: He won't.

Clarification: I know. :( 

Anyway, let's travel now to the not-too-distant past of two months ago:

“I’m not going to answer to that stuff, because they’re rumors,” C.K. said while promoting his new movie, I Love You, Daddy, at the Toronto International Film Festival. “If you actually participate in a rumor, you make it bigger and you make it real.” The Times pressed, asking for clarification about whether or not the assault allegations were real. “No,” he said. “They’re rumors, that’s all that is.”

"trying to mediate" was a pretty piss-poor summation of the shit Becky actually did.

Aside from that, I'm pretty conflicted about Louis' statement. Like, it seems like he hit most of the right notes. Didn't shift any blame. Didn't use any weasel words that I spotted. Tried to sort of explain it, which I get is a problem, but that can at least partially be looked at as describing his mindset rather than explicitly trying to excuse it. But I still feel pretty underwhelmed for some reason. And I think this is the reason:

If you are genuinely regretful of your actions, wanting to be a better person, and aware that nothing you can say is going to make you that better person, you just have to accept what comes and be better, this is something like what you would say.

On the other hand, if you are a rat bastard prick who doesn't give a shit, but you are smart enough to recognize that pulling what Spacey tried or any of the half-ass no-pologies that Weinstein tried isn't gonna cut it, and you are trying to say one last thing to try to mitigate the damage before going quiet and waiting out the firestorm before making your comeback, that is ALSO something like what you would say.

And how the hell will we ever know the difference?