DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

I've never heard anything about Patton Oswalt of this type of thing thankfully. There's been issues that some people don't like him over and some really have no business even giving a public opinion on(his personal life), but nothing overtly horrifying or scandalous. He's usually owned up when he's genuinely screwed up.

I'm interested in the fact that, in spite of actual video of him groping an 18-year-old interviewer on TRL, Ben Affleck has been relatively unscathed.  I wonder whether it's because he immediately owned his past bad behavior and there's nothing more recent to pin on him or if he somehow picked targets better than Weinstein (or Casey, for that matter).  EDITED when I went back to check my work and saw that there are more and more-recent allegations against him...the question still stands, though: why hasn't he gotten the momentum of so many others?

53 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm interested in the fact that, in spite of actual video of him groping an 18-year-old interviewer on TRL, Ben Affleck has been relatively unscathed.  I wonder whether it's because he immediately owned his past bad behavior and there's nothing more recent to pin on him or if he somehow picked targets better than Weinstein (or Casey, for that matter).  EDITED when I went back to check my work and saw that there are more and more-recent allegations against him...the question still stands, though: why hasn't he gotten the momentum of so many others?

Yeah, I'm not trying to figure this out after the whole thing with Casey last year where he was on an Oscar campaign while another person who was found innocent was being blackballed. Granted, there is obviously a racial component that was a big part of it. However, the media and critics were still like.... HOW ABOUT MANCHESTER BY THE SEA AIN'T IT GREAT?! 

I'm still a bit baffled by the Skip Gates (or as the black historians I follow call him: Henry "Skip the Truth" Gates) fiasco, but he found his way out of that by issuing an apology. That itself was overshadowed by Gates himself apologizing for cutting that part out of his documentary series. So Ben's solutions seem to be immediate apology and/or tossing a ton of money to charities, and people seem to be fine with that. Plus, people seemed to be so consumed by his family life amidst his divorce and hanging out with his kids that anything else is just another footnote.

They appear to have still been wrong on some rumors they went with, just not the overall story. Tig is what gave it any veracity. I mean if I ran some rag and accused someone of being a pedophile and started naming victims, but got half of them wrong, but the story conclusion right, that is still shoddy journalism.

• Like 2

Ben Affleck has benefited from not being the absolute shittiest guy in the current shitty guy party.

When you've got rapists, pedophiles, and people who just whip their dicks out and jerk off in front of strangers - his brand of harassment becomes run of the mill.

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

I now feel fully vindicated for posting about Louis CK last month and how he's a gross fucking creep. Sometimes Gawker and it's sister sites aren't just "pushing a narrative" too hard.

The Times actually provided names and verified information. 

He was top headline on The Daily Show, which is promising. Maybe. At least they're willing to reference it. 

(The Paradise Papers not showing up in either that or The Opposition all week long is pretty sad though, but that's for a nonexistent political subforum)

EDIT: Jordan Klepper brought it up head of the show too, along with the pedo in Alabama

54 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Have there been any high profile US names besides Bob Kraft? Only ones I have seen really named are QE2 and Lewis Hamilton and some weird dealings involving the Arsenal minority shareholder and Everton majority owner. 

Madonna, George Soros, Wilbur Ross and Rex Tillerson. And Bono, but he’s not American - just a wildly famous musician whom everyone knows, so that should be getting attention too. Also, some Russians who have business connections to Donald Trump Jr. and Mark Zuckerberg.

Really wish we had a place where we could talk about politics and world issues in a civilized manner. It would be nice. But, yeah... we’re so far from the original topic at hand.

Just a heads up try and keep the politics out. I know it's been difficult to separate because so much is happening at once, and you guys have done a great job. But I've been on this board for something like 10 years now. It never goes well. And that's coming from someone who used to fight to keep a politics thread open. So anyway just keep it to Hollywood and try to avoid any liberal/conservative commentary the best you can. And no it's not up for debate.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You forgot the "getting completely nude" part. (That is so fucking bizarre...)

So anyway, what did Affleck purportedly do? 

Ben likes to grab women by the boobs and butts without consent. There was one gal on TRL years ago. And John Mulaney's wife Annamarie Tendler said he grabbed her ass and played it off like he was moving her out of the way so he could get by. His brother Casey sounds like he's even worse and still won an Oscar.

No joke, I have to watch the madness of this Woody Allen movie. There's so much art imitating life imitating art that I can't help but want to see what these douche bags concocted. I feel bad that other people who had nothing to do with it have all their work ruined because of it.