DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

6 hours ago, Casey said:

So just because these people are dead they shouldn't be called out for their behavior?

Well I think the attitude is being dead they are unable to defend themselves against the accusations. I don't necessarily agree with that in every case. If someone did something then they did it.  

7 hours ago, Victator said:

Well I think the attitude is being dead they are unable to defend themselves against the accusations. I don't necessarily agree with that in every case. If someone did something then they did it.  

Image result for jimmy savile

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Image result for jimmy savile

There were people who definitely tried to report what he did. Though it is weird anyone would not know, I mean Jesus look at him. 

But I was saying the general idea is you want someone to have a chance to defend themselves. But one size does not fit all. There are cases like Saville where he successfully buried any wrong doing til he beat the clock. 

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

Well, when 90% of your show is you acting like a lech... 

If there's a Hell, Benny Hill is listening to an endless loop of Yakety Sax while an old man slaps him on the top and back of his skull.

Seeing people gush over the new Louis CK movie (which is really gross in the midst of all this) really makes me uncomfortable given how people in the industry, and a percentage of his fans, want to ignore the allegations against him. Hell, there were articles written about it in 2015, a few months ago, even up to 3 days ago, and it's going unnoticed. Even Tig Notaro thinks he needs to address the situation, and he's an executive producer on her new show. Rosanne Barr has called him out on Twitter about it numerous times, too. A VICE reporter went to a comedy festival, asked a bunch of them about Cosby (they vehemently put down Cosby as a sexual abuser) but when asked about what Louis CK supposedly does, they don't say anything and walk away. Then she got kicked out and told it was because "Louis CK is like family" to that festival.

Just a few examples.

In the Gawker article, one particular story references a rumor about CK - but it turns out Doug Stanhope "took credit" for that one example. And then posted on Facebook: "Gawker put this article out about me without using my name - as if i'd care". So, maybe that one instance of a female comedy duo being assaulted was Stanhope and not CK, but that brings up this: Why the fuck wasn't Stanhope outed and ostracized like he should be? And just the way he's so blase about the entire thing is disgusting.

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Seeing people gush over the new Louis CK movie (which is really gross in the midst of all this) really makes me uncomfortable given how people in the industry, and a percentage of his fans, want to ignore the allegations against him.

What are they suppose to do about it? They are allegations and as a society it is best we do not use guilty until proven innocent. 

We owe it to victims/accused to listen and keep an open mind, take in all the evidence and make an informed decision. 

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

Seeing people gush over the new Louis CK movie (which is really gross in the midst of all this) really makes me uncomfortable given how people in the industry, and a percentage of his fans, want to ignore the allegations against him. Hell, there were articles written about it in 2015, a few months ago, even up to 3 days ago, and it's going unnoticed. Even Tig Notaro thinks he needs to address the situation, and he's an executive producer on her new show. Rosanne Barr has called him out on Twitter about it numerous times, too. A VICE reporter went to a comedy festival, asked a bunch of them about Cosby (they vehemently put down Cosby as a sexual abuser) but when asked about what Louis CK supposedly does, they don't say anything and walk away. Then she got kicked out and told it was because "Louis CK is like family" to that festival.

Just a few examples.

In the Gawker article, one particular story references a rumor about CK - but it turns out Doug Stanhope "took credit" for that one example. And then posted on Facebook: "Gawker put this article out about me without using my name - as if i'd care". So, maybe that one instance of a female comedy duo being assaulted was Stanhope and not CK, but that brings up this: Why the fuck wasn't Stanhope outed and ostracized like he should be? And just the way he's so blase about the entire thing is disgusting.

To be fair, two of your linked articles are Gawker sites and the other two use Gawker sites as a reference.  Gawker (I think Jezebel, actually.  But Gawker is good shorthand here because we all know Gawker) took a blind item from a podcast and said "it MUST be Louis CK!!" and the rest is history.  Even the comedian who made the original comment Jezebel ran with has said it's not CK, but the Gawker family is still beating the drum.  Seriously, read the comments in any of the Gawker/Jezebel/Gizmondo/Defamer/etc Louis CK stories and you'll find a ton of commenters saying, "why are you guys still pushing this?"  And we're talking about a very liberal, most assuredly not MRA type, readership.

Ok, so since I don't see why we're making allusions, Jim Jeffries is "the comedian" TS' post refers to, in that Jeffries did a bit in one of his routines about him and an unnamed comic interacting with some young women. Drugs and some very wrong behavior by the other comic are mentioned in the routine.

4 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Ok, so since I don't see why we're making allusions, Jim Jeffries is "the comedian" TS' post refers to, in that Jeffries did a bit in one of his routines about him and an unnamed comic interacting with some young women. Drugs and some very wrong behavior by the other comic are mentioned in the routine.

Oh no, not making allusions, I just didn't look up the name because I was pressed for time/feeling lazy when I posted.  Looking it up, it was actually Jen Kirkman.  She made an allusion to harassment in comedy in her podcast, which Gawker/Jezebel speculated was about CK, and they made hay with it.  Check out the comments on the article, too.

I have no clue what Louis has or hasn't done, but Gizmodo as they're known as an entity now really seems to have an ax to grind against him even after tons of shit refuting it. He might still be a sleazeball, but this all seems to be some kind of grudge level nonsense in this specific instance.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:04 AM, OSJ said:

Ya think?

Image result for fatty arbuckle

To be fair, he was eventually acquitted and the whole thing was toxic as all hell from everyone involved in the legal case. Who knows for sure if he did anything besides those involved, but we'll never know.

And now at least two actresses have come out with tales of George W. Bush grabbing their asses during photo ops.  Creepy fuck even jokes, "my favorite magician is David Cop-a-feel!"  Rich white male privilege writ large: the guy is an invalid who probably can't even function sexually anymore, but still thinks it's his right to touch any woman any way he feels like.

His spokesperson's response to the accusations is ridiculous.

“At age 93, President Bush has been confined to a wheelchair for roughly five years, so his arm falls on the lower waist of people with whom he takes pictures. To try to put people at ease, the president routinely tells the same joke — and on occasion, he has patted women’s rears in what he intended to be a good-natured manner. Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate. To anyone he has offended, President Bush apologizes most sincerely.”

Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate.  "So get that stick out of your ass, you uptight bitches."

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

And now at least two actresses have come out with tales of George W. Bush grabbing their asses during photo ops.  Creepy fuck even jokes, "my favorite magician is David Cop-a-feel!"  Rich white male privilege writ large: the guy is an invalid who probably can't even function sexually anymore, but still thinks it's his right to touch any woman any way he feels like.

His spokesperson's response to the accusations is ridiculous.

Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate.  "So get that stick out of your ass, you uptight bitches."

Small correction, wouldn't that be George H. W. Bush, father of George W. Bush . 

• Thanks 1

Political commentator Mark Halperin is out at MSNBC after five women accused him of harassing them during his time at ABC, and at least one other former co-worker has accused him since.  Can't wait for him to get his own Fox News show.

25 minutes ago, rainmakerrtv said:

Small correction, wouldn't that be George H. W. Bush, father of George W. Bush . 

So that means in the last 30 years, only Dubya and Obama are safe around the wimmenfolk.

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

To be fair, he was eventually acquitted and the whole thing was toxic as all hell from everyone involved in the legal case. Who knows for sure if he did anything besides those involved, but we'll never know.

Looking at the evidence, it seems the worst thing he did was leaving her in the room and assuming she was drunk. I have to think the reason no one involved got her to a hospital sooner, was they were covering their asses legally. It said there was alcohol everywhere and it was prohibition, 

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Destroyed his life regardless. Was such a pariah for a long time.

When I was reading, the part about the newspapers was striking. I think even by the time I was a boy, the papers had lost so much cache in the world. So in a 2017 mindset it is hard to believe there was a day they could destroy a big time movie star so thoroughly. 

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Political commentator Mark Halperin is out at MSNBC after five women accused him of harassing them during his time at ABC, and at least one other former co-worker has accused him since.  Can't wait for him to get his own Fox News show.

Ha!  I thought I was the only one who noticed how funny it was that  Conservative pundits on Fox & Friends lashed out at Dems for not coming down harder on Harvey Weinstein for sexual misconduct and in the same breath Fox hires Bill O'Reilly back after being disgraced and shitcanned for exhibiting the same behavior.