DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

No one ever came to me or told me horror stories with any real seriousness

Gosh, I cannot imagine why women wouldn't feel comfortable talking to Woody fucking Allen about sexual abuse.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Victator said:

So what is the source on this stuff about Dan Schneider? I looked it up and found a post on Gamespot of all places with a bunch of unsourced claims. Some of it being some pretty serious shit to say about someone without solid proof. 

A lot of the stuff has been around for years but this is one twitter feed that has amassed a lot of the creepy/perverted stuff he's been involved with on-screen/behind the scenes and more.  

https://twitter.com/soberloren?lang=en

Once, years ago, my boss (at the time; Not my current boss) was in India for a family wedding, so he had his cousin manage the shop for a couple of weeks while he was away. And about halfway through that, I had to pin my acting manager against the wall by his throat and tell him if he put his hands on any of the girls again, I'd be putting my hands on him. So I'm one of those white knights or something.

• Like 7

So when are we going to realize that Hollywood isn't anywhere near the only place where this type of behavior occurs and is covered up? The military has a huge problem with harassment, sexual assault and rape. Religious institutions are no strangers to this sort of thing. Politicians and people around that environment. And like @AxB just mentioned, it's likely happening at your own job and you don't even realize it until you see it firsthand.

I'm sort of sick of reading stuff online and people in my own life only focusing on Hollywood and how it's demented and sick. It's not partitioned off to one section of California, this shit is everywhere and it won't ever change unless we confront it when we see it. And if we don't see it, maybe we should start asking our friends and seeing if they're okay if even the tiniest little thing is off with them on any given day. I guess I'm a white knight social justice libtard, or whatever, too. If you're worried about being subjected to "unfair" analyzation at your place of employment because of your interactions with females because of all this, maybe that says more about you than it does any of the women in question.

• Like 3

This happens to women of all walks of life in all situations in life. Anyone not aware of that is either ignorant or a fucking asshole. I have a lot of female friends that have to deal with tons of borderline garbage from a lot of people over the years. On the streets or at jobs, none of them will take that shit which is a nice thing to see, but you never know what kind of person is leading your company or are just out there in general. I've got a friend in Cali who was catcalled walking to work by a fucking bus driver every day for seemingly weeks on end. That kind of garbage happens constantly. All the women I know are strong-willed and driven, but this kind of garbage and victim blaming bullshit can happen to anyone. If I see it I don't tolerate it and would gladly bludgeon people, but my friends aren't afraid to call assholes out. They've lived in some pretty skeevy areas too. Not everyone can afford to do that or have the ability because of the systemic nature of it to ruin their lives..

This whole topic pisses me off because I can't stand or understand the mindset that would drive someone to use their power over another person in a business or casual setting like that. Hell, just life in general. The genders of the people involved don't matter either. It's disgusting and pathetic no matter what. It is the polar opposite of my entire way of thinking and acting in life just on principle. I'll never figure out how people can be that useless to another human being. And, no, I've never once in my life catcalled, tried pickup bullshit or any other crap either, so I'm not being a hypocrite. :angry:

• Like 3

On 10/14/2017 at 4:30 PM, Tabe said:

This is crap. 

Example from my life: have a secretary at work that I'm friends with. Was turning in some paperwork to her and she was giving me a (joking) hard time. I put my hands on my hips and gave her an exaggerated, joking, "Do I have to call HR?" We laughed. She took my paperwork and that was that. The next day she got called in to her n boss's office and yelled at for being difficult with me. Because somebody 20 feet away that couldn't even see us, that we didn't even know was there, but heard things out of context, misunderstood everything. It got straightened out but it really is that easy. 

And you don't think that's maybe an extreme example of something going too far and maybe you shouldn't use it to frame your entire opinion?  Also, what does this example have to do with accidentally being accused of sexual harassment?

Not to be blunt, but the other person did the right thing in that situation, what if it had been what they thought it was? Do nothing? That doesn't cut it.

• Like 3

This reminds me of the whole Sasha Banks and hotels/airports controversy with fans. If people can't see the difference between a grown man being whistled at or a 120lb woman then they have serious problems. Yes,  men can be harassed and are but its not the same.  If it's a female in power then I can see how it would be very uncomfortable though and that's not okay at all.  

If you wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior being experienced by an important woman in your life (wife, mother, daughter, girlfriend, etc) then it shouldn't be tolerated in general.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

If you wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior being experienced by an important woman in your life (wife, mother, daughter, girlfriend, etc) then it shouldn't be tolerated in general.

A fucking men.

This "What of it was your daughter" or "I have a daughter" bullshit is infuriating. The simple fact that it happens to human beings should be more then enough for you to find it intolerable.

• Like 2

Weren't you just fearing that the Hellboy editor wouldn't be able to find more work because of allegations against him?  Don't you still "stan" for Whedon despite all his bullshit?  Do those guys not count because you like them?

2 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Weren't you just fearing that the Hellboy editor wouldn't be able to find more work because of allegations against him?  Don't you still "stan" for Whedon despite all his bullshit?  Do those guys not count because you like them?

Um... I mentioned he left the company, I didn't express concern if he got work or not. Just mentioned the issues.

As for Whedon, I haven't said a word supporting him since the story broke...

On 10/15/2017 at 6:55 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

A lot of the stuff has been around for years but this is one twitter feed that has amassed a lot of the creepy/perverted stuff he's been involved with on-screen/behind the scenes and more.  

https://twitter.com/soberloren?lang=en

The child thinks that the writer/producer is also apparently the director/costumer/choreographer. The rest of the rumors came from a tumblr post and 4chan.

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

The child thinks that the writer/producer is also apparently the director/costumer/choreographer. The rest of the rumors came from a tumblr post and 4chan.

He's the creator of the shows,  writes them,  posts sexual innuendo on his social media about his "stars",  posts backstage segments of his "stars" in sexual situations and has teens sending him pictures of their feet.  That combined with the odd behavior of his past stars tells me hey,  maybe look into this guy...  

3 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Whedon didn't force himself on anyone and no one has come out against him since this broke. Unlike Weinstein or Cosby. 

I don't really take the word of an ex spouse (husband or wife) as gospel. 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's the creator of the shows,  writes them,  posts sexual innuendo on his social media about his "stars",  posts backstage segments of his "stars" in sexual situations and has teens sending him pictures of their feet.  That combined with the odd behavior of his past stars tells me hey,  maybe look into this guy...  

I don't know about anything else but dude definitely has a foot fetish. That is too much to be a coincidence. 

Edit: and its gross. 

3 hours ago, Victator said:

Whedon didn't force himself on anyone and no one has come out against him since this broke. Unlike Weinstein or Cosby. 

To the first part of that: if he was using his position as a show runner and producer to bed actresses or writers, etc who were either looking for work or already working for him, it's morally reprehensible. Full stop.

If he was cheating on his wife with women he had no working relationship with, then that's certainly not a good thing, but not really part of the same discussion. 

And it is true that afaik, nobody has piggy backed on Kai's story to accuse him. As a selfish fan, I hope he's innocent of the former.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, supremebve said:

I'll never understand how people get away with this type of thing for so long.

1. Women are threatened into silence and punished for speaking out.

2. Women are made to feel ashamed for not fighting back at the time of their assault, even if non compliance would immediately cost them their careers.

3. The proper authorities can sometimes be totally shit at being helpful.

4. The experience itself is Trauma Part One.  Having to relive it over and over again in the possibly fruitless pursuit of justice is Trauma Part Infinity.

5. Women are groomed by institutions and their attackers to believe that what is going to happen to them is perfectly acceptable in the culture they're in. They don't find out until much later that the things they've endured are amoral at least and illegal at most.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2017 at 8:26 AM, Technico Support said:

And you don't think that's maybe an extreme example of something going too far and maybe you shouldn't use it to frame your entire opinion?  Also, what does this example have to do with accidentally being accused of sexual harassment?

Who said it frames my entire opinion? You said that, I didn't. 

I merely said "yep, it's easy to get accidentally accused and here's an example". Nothing more. 

What does it have to do with being accused of securely harassment accidentally? All you gotta do is change a couple words in the conversation that was overheard,that's what.