DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Power Struggle 2017 (With Super Junior Tag Action!)

Raziel

I'll eventually make up a Tag League thread to keep up the results daily, but the internet sucks in Disney and I'm not putting up with the headache until I get back home.

But out of the announced teams, I like Cobb/Elgin, although it's annoying that they're in the same block as KES when that's probably the most interesting matchup for the Dome.  Far as A block goes, i'm probably only really looking forward to how much Team Dojo Trainers, TenKozy, and Suzuki-gun beat up on some of the other guys in the block.  

loved Power Struggle. best show since G1.

Jericho-Omega is a good way to get eyes on Okada-Naito and to a lesser extent Jay White.

yeah I might have gone Kota-Kenny and Tana-Jericho if I have to book Jericho but I am reasonably sure this will be the biggest WK for a while. going to lightly argue that the Dome needed some star quality, as it is rarely wanting for quality elsewhere.

2 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

going to lightly argue that the Dome needed some star quality, as it is rarely wanting for quality elsewhere.

It's no revelation at all to point it out, but it's still a bit damning (or maybe just depressing) that no native promotion has built anyone who could "guest star" in a high-profile match in years. I can invent things I'd love--Miyahara defending the TC against Ishii; Takeshita challenging the guy who nicknamed him for the US title; on and on and on--but I can't think of anything that really moves tickets. Oh well. Everyone seems to think All Japan, at least, is moving in the right direction, so maybe some year soon. 

that's true. no real needle movers anywhere except maybe the old guys who can still just about lace up their boots and even then they've mostly been done. I bet there'd be curiosity in a Maeda appearance. Kawada too. but 0.001% chance of occurring. even the bright lights of Japanese shooting have faded - imagine Satoshi Ishii on a well-booked path would have been major. if Hisayoshi Harasawa (ex-All Japan Judo champ, 2016 Olympian) expressed an interest in a one-off crossover like Willy Wilhelm vs Maeda then that would probably be worth a few thousand seats more.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, sevendaughters said:

yeah I might have gone Kota-Kenny and Tana-Jericho if I have to book Jericho but I am reasonably sure this will be the biggest WK for a while.

Tanahashi/Jericho is a better matchup than Omega/Jericho.  Tanahashi would have a much easier time adjusting his style to Jericho's limitations than Omega will.

It’s also an entirely academic argument, isn’t it? Assuming the reports are true, Jericho pitched the match with Omega, and we’ve no reason to believe he’d have agreed to work anyone else.

That said... Tana/Jericho might have been a more comfortable fit, in terms of style and pace, and they could feud over whether air guitar is real metal (and whether Fozzy is, for that matter).

I also really, really did want Omega/Ibushi, but Cody explicitly bringing up Kenny while making the challenge (then again on Twitter) makes me think it could still happen, as part of the pending Bullet Club schism. 

• Like 1

I feel if Kenny's going babyface eventually once he splits from BIZCLIZ, he hasn't really hinted at it much with his promos. It's still all about him, all the time. The Jericho match press conference he did recently was an awesome promo, but still very much in the same vein as he's been doing over the past year. Maybe the Ibushi match beats the humility out of him but at the moment he is still 100% the walking embodiment of hubris. BC turning on him because of that hubris and lack of gang mentality wouldn't really make him a babyface, so I feel for a turn to work he has to change his attitude.

Shouldn't be hard really. If both he and Ibushi survive their match, they embrace. Bullet Club protests, attack him and they ward off BC together. Basically the Hogan/Rock post-match.