DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Power Struggle 2017 (With Super Junior Tag Action!)

Raziel

NJPW Power Struggle 2017 

11/5, Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium.

MAIN EVENT: IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kota Ibushi

SEMI-FINAL: IWGP United States Championship

"The Cleaner" Kenny Omega (c) (Bullet Club) vs. Trent Beretta (CHAOS)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

Will Ospreay (CHAOS) (c) vs. "The Villian" Marty Scrull (Bullet Club)

NEVER Openweight Championship - Bullrope Death Match

Minoru Suzuki (Suzuki-gun) (c) vs. Toru Yano (CHAOS)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, BUSHI, SANADA & Hiromu Takahashi)

SUPER JUNIOR TAG TEAM FINAL

Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh) (CHAOS) vs. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi (Taguchi Japan)

Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens)

Juice Robinson, Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, KUSHIDA & Hirai Kawato vs Suzuki-gun (Zack Sabre Jr, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi, El Desperado & TAKA Michinoku)

Titan & Dragon Lee (CMLL) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (Bullet Club)

Pre-Show: David Finlay vs. Katsuya Kitamura

Super Junior Tag Tournament

Round 1 (10/23-10-29)

1. Hirai Kawato & KUSHIDA vs. Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh) (CHAOS)

2. Dragon Lee & Titan (CMLL) vs. BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

3. Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Tiger Mask vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (Suzuki-gun)

4. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi (Taguchi Japan) vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi (Suzuki-gun)

Semi-finals (10/30)

5. Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh) (CHAOS) vs. BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

6. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (Suzuki-gun) vs. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi (Taguchi Japan)

• 2 weeks later...

Finlay's the only one in recent memory that kinda jumped from Young Boy to Main Roster pretty quick, but that was an emergency situation, and he think they low key sent him out since he's been gone.  

But Tanahashi is the answer to "guy that never went on excursion" and pretty much stayed in NJPW his entire career.  

There was a rather ballyhooed Tanahashi/Nakamura "excusion" to CMLL in 2005, but it was well after the two had been tag champs and Nak had won and vacated the IWGP Championship.

Kitamura doesn't need an excursion. He's got a gimmick. He's looking like a fit when he's higher on the card. I've said it before, he's older than Okada, rush him.

Yano attaching the bullrope to Kitamura as an anchor so he could escape Suzuki was pretty hilarious on today's Road show.  Crowd was getting really hot for the Kitamura/Suzuki staredown before Minoru made short work of him.  If Kitamura had speared him right then, he'd have been a made man.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, Tana showed up in CMLL with painted face and was actually the Universal champ for awhile

tumblr_msqm8oKTIP1rubq43o1_500.jpg

I think he was pretty well established at that point though, which is weird. 

Wasn't this from maybe 5 years ago, when Tanahashi and Liger went down and Tana won that big Universal Championship tournament? I'm talking about the 2005 excursion when Nakamura and Tanahashi showed up as a tag team and defended the IWGP Tag Belts against Los Gurreros del Infierno.

http://www.puroresu.com/forum/threads/4526-Bye-Bye-Tanahashi-amp-Nakamura

There were a few strange excursions around that time. The Simon Kelly Inoki years, right before Yuke's took over. I think they were just trying to get guys out of Japan until the politics sorted themselves out. Weirder still was Nakamura's 2006 excursion that wasn't, where he was supposed to be training out of the NJPW Los Angeles Dojo and being loaned out to WWE so he could bulk up and take on Brock Lesnar. He didn't wrestle one match in the states and got rushed back with red pants and a bad finisher, IIRC.

Full card posted.  I'm suprised that they're holding Omega/Beretta , as I don't know what US show is gonna have that, and I doubt it's going to be at the Dome, and suprised Omega's not on the card at all when he's been on the rest of the tour, and suprised Cody's on the show when *he's* not been in Japan all week.

Will Ospreay (CHAOS) (c) vs. "The Villian" Marty Scrull (Bullet Club)

What is this like the millionth meeting between these two?

I suppose familiarity will lead to a decent contest.

7 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

and surprised Omega's not on the card at all when he's been on the rest of the tour.

My guess is that they don't want to take chances with Kenny's knee.

Ok, so we're in this weird place where NJPW's official site doesn't have it, but everyone is reporting it as on, so yeah, looks like Omega/Beretta is happening here, and we're getting an 11 match (counting preshow) PPV.

4 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Ok, so we're in this weird place where NJPW's official site doesn't have it, but everyone is reporting it as on, so yeah, looks like Omega/Beretta is happening here, and we're getting an 11 match (counting preshow) PPV.

Yano beats Suzuki in under three minutes. Way to telegraph it, guys.

I think Yano has a chance to win this match.  Assuming Tanahashi retains against Ibushi and that the plan for the Dome is Omega/Ibushi, then Suzuki is the biggest name on the roster left for Tanahashi.  And given what a force Suzuki-gun has been this year, it makes sense to have Suzuki in a bigger match than the NEVER title.  The bullrope stipulation provides Yano with the opportunity for all manner of chicanery, where he can steal the win while keeping Suzuki strong as a challenger for the IC title.

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think Yano has a chance to win this match.  Assuming Tanahashi retains against Ibushi and that the plan for the Dome is Omega/Ibushi, then Suzuki is the biggest name on the roster left for Tanahashi.  And given what a force Suzuki-gun has been this year, it makes sense to have Suzuki in a bigger match than the NEVER title.  The bullrope stipulation provides Yano with the opportunity for all manner of chicanery, where he can steal the win while keeping Suzuki strong as a challenger for the IC title.

I was pretty much serious. Get that belt of Suzuki by means of some bullshit and find a way to put it on to somebody worth elevating. SANADA, "Switchblade", Kitamiya, Beretta, even YOSHI-HASHI, maybe even Jeff Cobb??? (I like Jeff Cobb). It's basically their TV Title, it should be used to bring guys up out of the undercard muck.

Solid card all around, and there's probably not a match anyone can make right now that I want to see more than Tana/Ibushi, given the narrative, long-term implications, and skill involved. Like, I'd almost be disappointed with anything that doesn't feel at least MOTY-adjacent, which is patently unfair, but those are the standards in the company right now. And it's interesting, given their respective eternal rivalries, that Tanahashi and Ibushi could (to me at least) outdo Okada and Omega. I'm stoked.

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well, that Switchblade reveal was certainly a fucking surprise. What the hell????

Reveal hidden contents

No - different surprise

Switchblade was revealed to be

Spoiler

Jay White