DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK SIX

Dolfan in NYC

The NFL has apparently very quietly changed its policy on the National Anthem to a rule where players must stand or they may face suspension, fines, and teams may forfeit draft picks.

This has very, very bad idea written all over it. 

It's a policy, not a rule.  Also, there's a lawsuit here in Houston where a girl at school refused to stand for the national anthem at school, and the lawyer cited a 1943 Supreme Court case: West Virginia Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624, 63 S. Ct. 1178, 87 L. Ed. 1628 (1943) (We think the action of the local authorities in compelling the flag salute and pledge transcends constitutional limitations on their power and invades the sphere of intellect and spirit which it is the purpose of the First Amendment to our Constitution to reserve from all official control.)

But hey, who is the Supreme Court to tell the NFL to do anything? 

Do these people understand that a pledge of allegiance doesn't mean anything if you have to force people to do it.  There is a simple solution to all of this, all of the black players should kneel.  Put them in a position where they have to suspend 75% of their workforce, and look like racists.  I bet they'll back down.  If not, all hell will break loose.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The NFL has apparently very quietly changed its policy on the National Anthem to a rule where players must stand or they may face suspension, fines, and teams may forfeit draft picks.

This has very, very bad idea written all over it. 

Alleged Rapists, Domestic Abusers, Racists, Ex-cons, no problem.

Kneel for the Anthem, well *that's* where we're gonna draw the line, dammit!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

If the NFLPA had any balls they'd fight this, but they're most likely going to cave.

Goodell has done a good enough job making himself look like the two faced, spineless piece of shit that he is. Why intervene when any actions the players take on Thursday, Sunday, and Monday to combat this will cause him to change course for the 15th time? Expect another letter within a week or so from the league saying the OPPOSITE.

• Like 1

So PFT is discussing the idea that the Jaguars would trade for Eli Manning so Eli could reunite with Coughlin. It would be interesting what such a trade would look like, what the Giants would demand and what the Jaguars would be willing to give up for Eli.

DRC has left the team 3 times since Friday

Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has walked out on the Giants three times since Friday, according to Dan Graziano of ESPN. The Giants suspended him Wednesday, but, according to Graziano, they will “welcome him back with a clean slate once he has served his punishment.”

Rodgers-Cromartie walked out of the team’s “recovery day” session Friday, per Graziano. Two days later, during the Giants’ loss to the Chargers, the 10-year veteran slammed down his helmet after an argument on the sideline and went to the locker room with what teammates and coaches “understood was the intent to leave the stadium.”

Rodgers-Cromartie met with Ben McAdoo on Tuesday, with the coach informing the one-time Pro Bowler the Giants would have him among their inactives Sunday as punishment. Rodgers-Cromartie was told to practice this week as normal.

But Rodgers-Cromartie left in the middle of the defensive team meeting Wednesday, cleaned out his locker and left the facility, according to Graziano.

I know the scheduling kinda makes it impossible and somehow someone will end up being less shitty, but I would love to see multiple 0-16, 1-15, and 2-14 teams at this point. Fuck the Mara family. I'm a fan of the Cowboys, but fuck the Jones family as well. It's only week 6 and I'm only in it for the pettiness and turmoil TBH. Also, recouping the money I spent in fantasy.

• Haha 2

I don't have the time, effort or desire to debate the fucking subject but do you want to know why the league and the owners now think Trump has a point? The owners get a ridiculous tax break worth hundreds of millions to them and Trump (and other politicians) started making noise about eliminating it (which if people knew about it would be a very popular move politically because the tax break is ridiculous and tailored for NFL owners). The thought of this caused them all to shit a ton of bricks and do a complete 180. Again I'm not debating this, I am merely pointing out the facts.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Zeke...SUSPENDED

Not exactly

The NFL has won the latest round of legal wrangling over the Ezekiel Elliott suspension.

In a 2-1 decision, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has vacated the preliminary injunction on Elliott’s suspension and remanded the case back to district court with instructions to dismiss the case.

The ruling finds that the NFLPA was premature in filing a lawsuit on Elliott’s behalf before arbitrator Harold Henderson ruled on Elliott’s appeal and that the district court “lacked subject matter jurisdiction when it issued the preliminary injunction” as a result.

As a result of the ruling, the NFL could reinstate the six-game suspension immediately with the intent of having it go into effect once the Cowboys bye week comes to an end. Elliott and the NFLPA could file to block the suspension again or petition the Fifth Circuit for an en banc hearing, so the legal maneuvering likely isn’t over. As of now, though, the league has prevailed in their bid to impose discipline on Elliott.