DVDVR Message Board

El Brazo y Brazo De Plata vs. Hombre Bala, El Verdugo (11/17/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

With their partners in a clean title match, these guys decided to take it to each other in an apuestas.  Gotta say, that's a good deal for Brazo de Oro.  Morgan looses, he loses the belt; anyone else loses, they loose their hair; Oro loses, meh.  The brawling in this is pretty good and there's blood all around.  Whenever someone smashes their opponent's bloody head into the seating I always wonder what the guy does whose seat is now covered in luchadore blood.  Brazos comeback is good and is capped off by a top rope splash from Plata.  Last fall is good stuff with a big dive train jumping off, ending with Plata taking everyone out with a tope.  Eventually Brazo and Verdugo are left in the ring and Brazo takes it with a roll up.  Good stuff but nothing that blew my socks off.

• 4 weeks later...

Again, these matches are really fucking fun. This is probably the least of the Brazos matches on this set but it's still a super fun brawl with a great finish. I like that El Brazo, who was the weak link in the Super Libre, is forced to fight on his own and prove his worth here. It was nice to see Verdugo get more of the spotlight here than he has in any of trios matches as well. He and Porky doing the sitout counter to the sunset flip at the same was a cool spot and a great near elimination. This is really an Hobre Bala and Super Porky showcase though and both of them really tear it up.

• 5 weeks later...

Let's see if this is what I've been waiting for. I'm already psyched because los Brazos are wearing the Japanese headbands and Porky doesn't even raise his hand when he's announced, he just stares ahead stoically, ready for the fight. Of course the rudos jump immediately for the beatdown. It isn't long before the red red krovvy starts flowing and Hombre Bala is spitting it in the air like his brother. When Brazo first blades there is this awesome shot of him puffing his cheeks out and the blood dripping onto his arm which is even better than the spitting. It looks so dramatic. He gets back on offense while Verdugo takes a tumble into the seats and Brazos take it with two splashes and a cool senton assist from Brazo onto Porky's own back. Tercera is high speed fun with everyone just bringing it, including five huge dives (Porky apron splash vs. Bala rolling senton is the question of which is best). Brazo finally steps it up to win with a pair of rollups and one guy literally jumps out of his seat at the three-count. He weeps and crosses himself while Porky raises dollar bills to the sky in celebration. Fuck, you can just end the set now, that would be such a great note to go out on. Then Porky brings presumably his daughter into the ring and raises her up while the rudos get shaved, to make it even better. This will go irrationally high for me. 

• 11 months later...

I actually really liked this a lot once they got to the 2nd fall. I loved El Brazo, in the language of pro wrestling, telling us "this motherfucker made me bleed and now I'm going to do return the favor" and then Plata decided to see if he could crush Bala to death with a top rope splash to end the 2nd fall. The senton from El Brazo onto Plata's back while he was pinning Verdugo was also pretty cool. Third fall is really nuts with a ton of dives and a cool finish that sees an elimination scenario leaving El Brazo and Verdugo at the end with Brazo pulling out a rollup for a very dramatic finish that had me actively rooting for The Brazos at the end after Plata had been eliminated. This might make it into my top 10 this was so fucking good.

Kind of surprised at how many fans started leaving before the head shaving at the end though.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this match was good, but not in my top 10.  The rudo attack in the first fall was very effective.  I liked the constant double-teaming as the Brazos took turns getting back into the ring.  The shot of El Brazo bleeding once that really gets going is memorable.  The Brazos suddenly get their second win in the second fall, and the Brazos are doing the biting.  Plata's splash with Brazo's senton onto Plata as he pins, for good measure, is a cool finish to the second fall.  The dives, especially those of Plata, are very impressive.  I liked the pins leading to the final confrontation between Verdugo and Brazo.  The finish with Brazo rolling through a slam attempt for a pin was very well-done.  I'm not sure what this needed to get into my top 10.  Maybe it could have been a bit longer.  Anyway, I wasn't sure this would break into my top 30 after I first watched it, but after reading the comments, and thinking a bit more, I can see this in my top 30.