DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period One

RIPPA

They're a mess. Jeff Blashill has no idea what he's doing and the goaltenders are constantly under siege. They said the other night that Henrik Zetterberg is leading all Wings forwards in TOI at nearly 20 minutes a game, even though he rarely kills penalties. He hasn't scored a goal in 20 games. Good grief. 

It's time for a coaching change. And some personnel changes. 

On 12/3/2017 at 6:32 PM, Dewar said:

I don't want to jinx things, but the Jets are exciting to watch, and really good so far this year.

I appreciate you jinxing things. Detroit looked fantastic against Winnipeg. 

Seattle - for all intents and purposes - will be getting an expansion team

The expansion fee will be $650 million. That is $150 million more than Vegas paid. The NHL says that is because of the difference in markets and inflation

The only fly in the ointment would more be a technicality as Bettman is still threatening to move a team to Seattle instead of giving them an expansion team.

When you sell it, I would imagine. That's what most good sports team owners believe anyway. Invest, build it up, and when you're done you should be able to make your profit then. I don't think even NHL teams will depreciate in value anytime soon. 

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

When you sell it, I would imagine. That's what most good sports team owners believe anyway. Invest, build it up, and when you're done you should be able to make your profit then. I don't think even NHL teams will depreciate in value anytime soon. 

Heck, NHL teams have been going up in value pretty solidly in the last 10 years. It might not feel that way,  but Hockey is on more of an up swing then you'd expect.

MLS is about to sell expansion franchises for well over $200 million and the people who buy them don't actually own them (single entity). A top level sports franchise will sell for stupid money because rich people want a toy and there are only so many of them around.

That sucks. I have fond memories of him from my childhood if nothing more than his name was super fun to say as a li'l kid. Definitely a member of the '90s NHL All-Name Team. Valeri Zelepukin is also a member of said team.

I essentially traded a Wings-Isles game to a friend for Sabres-rags at the Garden next month. I could've had his tix for our visit to Philly tomorrow but I literally don't feel like traveling all that way to see a gutless heartless abortion of a team. This team is worse than the tank team by far because that team at least tried (in fact, they tried so hard they nearly succeeded in wrecking the attempt to finish dead last). This team has way more talent but no heart or pride whatsoever. I've seen some bad Sabres teams (particularly in the aftermath of the Rigas/Adelphia disaster which nearly killed the team before Golisano saved us) but none of them fill me with anger and disgust like this one. Maybe it's too soon but I feel like Housley was a noble and reasonable hire but is just not up to the job like a Trottier or John MacLean. I also want to say that the only job in hockey Tim Murray should ever have is cleaning toilets at the arena, he killed us dead.

Being reported by people I trust that it will be announced on Wednesday that the Isles will win the Belmont bid and build an arena there that could be up and running in as little as two more seasons.