DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period One

RIPPA

Headed to Montreal tomorrow for Kings-Habs. My goal is to eat my weight in poutine and Montreal smoked meat and also to get a plush Youppi! doll and Expos hat.

Puck hits tall guy in chest, falls to his stick, he scores a goal. Ref calls it off due to "hand pass". Now the play is ruled unreviewable, because the ref called hand pass, despite neither hand being off the player in question's stick.

So we can watch offside reviews for 20 minutes, but can't take a look at this to quickly fix a bad call? NHL officiating is bad, and the rules are bad.

I think Kroppy is going to win.

For those who don't know, Kroppy was a veteran who went to most Jets 2.0 games, and they would always show him on the big screen during our national anthem. He passed away within the last year, and a lot of people think this is a great way to pay tribute.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The Edmonton Oilers have three wins in regulation this season. I offer no further current comment.

Hard to fathom why they're so bad. They got smoked by Detroit at home with McDavid being completely invisible. 

They have no secondary offense at all. Like, there is no one in their bottom six that can even theoretically score. They have one actual established RW, Kassian, who even if you like the guy (and he absolutely works hard, I will give him credit that post-rehab he's trying to do all the right things) is going to take more dumb penalties than goals produced. Draisaitl is being paid specifically as a C but has to play W because they have no alternative. Puljujarvi has looked good his first 2 games back up, but he is still an unknown. Chiarelli is all in on size and character, which is all well and good and has plugged some holes, but it's created some other, gaping ones.

They knew they wouldn't have Sekera for 6 months during the summer and signed exactly 0 NHL defensemen to fill the hole. They gave Kris Russell, an undersized, turnover machine who is a great skater (but refuses to skate with the puck), who leads the NHL in blocked shots because he turns over the puck once a shift, and scores one goal every 60 games, a four year contract instead. We are less than 20 games into the season and he's already - DESPITE Sekera's absence - fallen down the depth chart to the point he had the least minutes of any of the 6D twice in the last 4 games (competing for that with Eric Gryba).

This is pretty much what all the Oilers bloggers the mainstream media types hate predicted. Sad to say that it's so far coming true. I still think they make the playoffs because Talbot and McDavid drag them there kicking and screaming, but the team is nothing more than that unless there is a massive shock coming from the Drake Caggiula's of the world.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...