DVDVR Message Board

Lance Russell Has Died

RIPPA

Lance's daughter also died within the past week, which is why he was in Memphis in the first place. The way Meltzer started eulogizing him Sunday night, I'm guessing this was expected to happen.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ace said:

Lance's daughter also died within the past week, which is why he was in Memphis in the first place. The way Meltzer started eulogizing him Sunday night, I'm guessing this was expected to happen.

Well he had a fall right around the time of his daughter's death (who passed away from cancer)

It seems that Lance passed due to complications from the fall.

The absolute best wrestling announcer of all time and, from all accounts, one of the truly nicest men ever. Apparently he lived around my parts and, though I never met him, I always got a kick on Twitter when he would be posting from local restaurants around town enjoying his life. 

What a miserable couple of weeks for the country and wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

That was Lance's son tweeting that

Lance only started his account in March and had less than 200 tweets. And even in that brief time it was such a joy. It was like everything that Twitter SHOULD be used for

• Sad 3

Sent a message to him on Twitter the night before wishing him the best as they had sent a message saying he was in bad shape.   He replied to everyone who wished him well in the past- he seemed to be a really nice guy and class act all around, just like Heenan.

Memphis and Lance was as much a part of my formative fandom as was World Class- which is why Super Clash III was as big as the Flair/Funk/Steamboat stuff was in 89.  Really sad day all around.

With Lance's passing, we've reached the true end of the territories as well as the death of credible wrestling announcers. Lance was a southern-fried Gordon Solie, minus the gravitas but just as believable and with a warmer personality... he was your kindly grandpa, ever-friendly but not afraid to lay down the law on those rare occasions. Tom K once had the great line about how Memphis Wrestling was like the Muppet Show and Lance its Kermit the Frog, trying desperately to stick to the format while the show inevitably broke down into chaos on a weekly basis.

RIP Banana Nose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing I love about watching these old Memphis matches, when the bad guy does something truly horrible it's Lance Russel with his moral outrage that you know is 100% genuine that sells the hell out of it. His emotion for matches was perfect and there will never be anyone ever like him again.

There's an awesome anecdote that Lance told Meltzer on his radio show a few years ago about that angle where a fan kept badgering him about who was the guy who attacked him on Memphis TV, and Lance kept telling him that it never happened, that there's no way he'd ever agree to take a bump.  And the fan was so adamant that Lance eventually looked it up on YouTube and was shocked to see it actually did happen.  "Can you believe that I have no memory of that?...I mean, of course...at my age you probably CAN believe that..."

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The thing I love about watching these old Memphis matches, when the bad guy does something truly horrible it's Lance Russel with his moral outrage that you know is 100% genuine that sells the hell out of it. His emotion for matches was perfect and there will never be anyone ever like him again.

I also loved that being the moral compass of the show, Lance would also express disappointment when the faces lowered themselves to some of the same tactics in combating the heels.

I like to imagine that at the Pearly Gates, St. Peter was on minute ten of listing Lance's accomplishments and good deeds in life, when Lance calmly and politely interrupted him to say "Aw, c'mon now St. Peter, I have a show to run here."

And then St. Peter smiled and opened the gates.

• Like 3

I remember years ago, uh, *cough* downloading a shoot interview that was an audio only file, which contained the Lawler/Funk empty arena match. So you have no visuals, just Lance's commentary plus the noises from the ring.

It was still an incredibly expressive piece. Maybe it was one of those had to be there in the moment things, but it really felt like what listening to old-fashioned radio drama must have been like. You were still invested in it. Every detail is there, nothing is missed, without a single visual. It always stuck with me as a really powerful statement about the quality of that work. There are very few pieces in wrestling you could attempt that with, really.

• Like 1

I was introduced to Lance and Dave later on than most by watching USWA wrestling in the mid 90s on WJYS (yes) in Chicago. Even though it was on at 5AM during the school week, I still got up to watch it. Lance as the exasperated parental figure, but at the same time being a fan just like us was such a wonderful thing to watch. I think this clip is a pitch perfect example of it: irritation over dealing with the First Family, disappointment over the mess Lawler was making, but also sneaking in a "WAS kind of funny..."  with a snicker at the end of the segment to sell the heel's comeuppance. So good! RIP Lance Russell.

• Like 1