DVDVR Message Board

Raw is TANGO HOTEL ECHO BRAVO ALPHA ROMEO - 10/2/2017

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Victator said:

I see people are pretending Kalisto isn't good. For supposedly smart fans, they are easily swayed by booking. 

Its not a matter of whether he is good or not. Its the idea that we should be excited about a guy WWE and the audience hasn't really given a shit about for most of his WWE career.

• Like 1

Also a guy who has been left off the 205 roster inexplicably while he continued to go nowhere feuding with Baron Corbin. And yeah, he's a total let down. Kurt builds it up as there being one guy who can challenge Enzo and it's...Kalisto. On a roster where you could pull any number of dudes from NXT, namely Hideo Itami, and many of them would instantly get a good push off of being the guy to free up the cruiserweight title, they went with a very bland and disappointing choice.

And then to hear Tom and Corey try to sell it as a big deal just made the whole thing fall incredibly flat.

WWE just doesn't do surprises or reveals all that well. I was foolish to forget that and to think that this time would be different.

• Like 5

Basically Kalisto is the 90s version of Savio Vega.  You build up a mystery opponent...and then...yeah.  He's great and all, but you kinda wanted someone that might be a game-changer.  Looking forward to someone who could beat Ryback be unable to be clever enough to take out a man who has no offense for 98% of the match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless it was Rey Mysterio or AJ Styles, nothing was going to get a giant reaction. With how Kalisto has been booked he got a pretty big reaction. 

I think a lot of people are missing the really confusing part. Why is Kurt Angle protecting Enzo? This is some Anonymous GM shit. 

But Kalisto is very good in any case but will be blamed when he can't drag Enzo to a good match. 

• Like 1

I was hoping Enzo's show-ending Douche-A-Rama would be paid off with the debut of Asuka or even Pentagon Jr., coming from the crowd to "break" Enzo's arm and give him an excuse not to wrestle for another six weeks. I know the last one is an utter impossibility as Pentagon is locked in some ironclad contract that will see him jobbing to a collective of really bad ass 9-year old ghost girls whenever Lucha Underground season 4 rolls around some time in winter 2019.

Braun should just powerslam all members of The Shield until their souls leave their bodies and the Undertaker's hand pops up through the ring to drag their bloodied, beaten, broken carcasses to hell.

Glad that Mickie is getting her match against Alexa and I did like her vs Nia. But the old lady jokes aren't really funny. But I guess I shouldn't complain. They're at least a step up from fat jokes.

So, are we getting Alicia vs Emma next week? Because I can get with that. 

I think Kalisto is fine as the guy to put Enzo over to get him even more heat.  Imagine cocky Enzo bragging even more after he beats Kalisto, and then Itami/Gargano debut and take the strap off of Enzo.  As is, I feel like it is too soon for Enzo to lose.

Quick fantasy booking: Enzo beats Kalisto, Gargano debuts to challenge him, Ciampa returns to cost him the title and is then the one to destroy Enzo.  Gargano then takes the title and gets revenge on Ciampa in the same match.

6 hours ago, Victator said:

I think he would be wasted as a cruiserweight. I saw him work with Nakamura in NOAH and they could have a great match together.  

That was also four years and many injuries ago. I think the Itami ship has sailed in regards to him being a big deal/high end wrestler in WWE, he doesn't seem like the same guy in NXT that he was in NOAH. Not sure if its the injuries, age, motivation, or some combination of all three.

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Enzo is Kurt's other bastard son.

They should repackage all of the misfit and weirdo wrestlers as Kurt Angle's various children and assorted relatives.  The Angle Family can be the new Addams Family.  A wild-eyed Kurt could spend the whole of Raw making bizarre announcements while blowing up electric trains.  Plus, The Great Khali would make a perfect Lurch.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I don’t think anyone said that he wasn’t good, but you’ve gotta admit, him being the reveal was a real letdown. 

This isn't his fault, though. That's the crux of it.  Kalisto is being shit on through no fault of his own. The idea of a NXT call-up being seen as a big move is also wrong, IMO. 90% of the crowd wouldn't recognize Gargano or Itami with no buildup.

The Shield reunion is about WWE wanting a big story to carry Raw though the fall/winter. They want to sell tickets and boost ratings. And with this being the fifth anniversary of the Shield debuting on the main roster, it makes sense to do it now.

My biggest problem from last night was Alexa and Nia being buddies again. I know they're going for the frenemies angle, but they're only telling half the story. I don't like them going with Mickie being so old, either. That makes no sense when at least a dozen guys on the roster are 36-40 years old and they're seen as being productive. 

If they actually had the smarts and guts to do it, I'd say go for a cross-dressing Bray. Wyatt suffering from DID between Bray/Abigail would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Trump said:

Miz and The Bar vs. The Sheild seems like such a misfire when The Shield should so obviously take on Miz & Miztourage as a warm up feud leading into the real program  with Braun and The Bar.  It's right there!  So close. 

Considering you want to get some fire behind the Shield and Roman especially, putting them in there with Braun would split the crowd.  Better to have Miz build some old fashioned heel heat while knowing he isn't going over.  That way you can slide Braun in elsewhere and freshen up the match ups rather than have him right back to being married to Roman again.  

Idealy Braun would have the Universal Title now and could elevate someone like Finn Balor in a victorious defense as a co main event to the next RAW PPV but no got to keep it on Brock because... why again?

4 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Itami has been a constant disappointment in NXT for what? Three years now? Don't fool yourselves, he wouldn't really move the needle either.

Face Itami I agree with.  But full-blown dickhead heel Itami?  I won't go as far as saying he'd move the needle but his short heel run recently was fantastic.  More of that and he'd be anything but a disappointment.

• Like 1

A lot of Itami's problems have been injury related as well. Callous as this may sound, I think it would make more sense for WWE to just get something out of him on the main roster--205 live or not--rather than attempt a more substantial build on NXT that he may never be able to pay off. Whether he's a big enough deal to really move the needle is debatable--hell, the needle may be broken at this point--but the pop for him GTS'ing Enzo would have been way better than what they got. 

• Like 2

It's nice that they're throwing Kalisto a bone for being on the roster so long, at least. 

Hideo is an asskicker despite everything else. He would have been the best option. Or, as said, Asuka. Either one of them kicking Enzo into so many pieces of badly tattooed flesh would work. I can hear Cory saying "Enzo just got beat up by a girl!" right now

Kalisto isn't bad, but that's not the problem. For a guy who should have been in the division from the start they really have screwed around with him. He had a good run as US Champion when Vince was in his "well, the US Title doesn't mean shit" phase. The way it was built, you knew it had to be someone who didn't beat up Enzo and them going with Kalisto is like "oh hey, you're not doing anything...go out there".

I will say that the Shield reunion will at least keep me tuning in. But what's the next step after Miz/The Bar and a potential Survivor Series match? 

It feels like the time has passed for Anderson and Gallows to form a Balor Club.

If they get the Wyatts back together for like the third or fourth time, can they be convinced to stop breaking them up? 

Handicap match versus Braun?

Better yet, with Roman on the trajectory he's on, will they still have the nuts to make the TLC match winner take all for the IC and tag belts?

Intrigue abound. I hope they have a roadmap worthy of a reunion. Though I should know better.