DVDVR Message Board

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee (10/6/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Mighty Mouse just reversed a German Suplex into an armbar submission.  We will probably see that go home finish spot on Monday Night Raw next week..

That shit had better make ESPN Top 10 tomorrow morning.

I know that Ray did not go into this fight just to end up a statistic on DJ's Wikipedia page, but that's exactly what happened.

Hopefully Dana has the forethought to just make out a check for $50K to Mighty Mouse before the fight started.

• Like 1

What a show.

Damn I really thought Lee was gonna take that fight the more it went on, great performance all considered. Ferguson definitely earned that one.

Perfect finish and record breaker for Johnson, unforgettable.

I love the debut for Mara Romero Borella, super impressive.

That last two punch combo from Bobby Green was so killer, one of my highlights of the night. Another really great turn around performance.

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Tony vs. Conor gimme that shit right there. Some absolutely sick stand-up potential.

Kevin Lee fighting with staph is remarkable. That armbar escape was so good.

Rogan's "Is that staph?....He has staph." as Lee was in the prep point and entering the octagon had me dying. 

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that Lee didn't automatically stand right back up after the escape even he was tired. Ferguson was willing to let Lee recover when they were standing. It's not like Ferguson was really that far ahead of him in the striking. That first big slam might have won Lee that third round and made it 2-1. All he would have needed to do is made it two more rounds and somehow snatch one more round. Laying chest to chest with his arms out extended was a bit ill advised.

Nonetheless, that was a very entertaining main event and I think this makes a possible Ferguson-Khabib fight even intriguing. Ferguson ate that GnP barrage in round 1 fairly well. If he can survive that against Khabib, he might have a chance to get a submission because Khabib isn't the guy to give people space when he's in top position. That might be to Khabib's detriment.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Mighty Mouse just reversed a German Suplex into an armbar submission.  We will probably see that go home finish spot on Monday Night Raw next week.

That's what blows my mind, no pro wrestler ever even thought of that and DJ just did it in real life.

• Like 1

Apparently Kevin Lee's mark on his chest was a staph infection.  Not sure how he was cleared to fight with that, but I dunno.  Maybe it wasn't that serious, but not sure how the NSAC missed that.  Or maybe they didn't and let it go ahead.  Regardless, Kevin Lee did not handle his weight cut properly.  

Tony Ferguson definitely got sloppy with his striking again, which I thought was a problem he had fixed in the past.  Thankfully, his guard and grappling game off his back is pretty exceptional.  That being said, Lee getting out of those early submission attempts, like the armbar was pretty impressive.  If he does fight McGregor though, he can't keep his hands like that.  

Demetrious Johnson pulling off that crazy armbar from like a German suplex slam was pretty impressive.  Ray Borg clearly didn't belong in there with him though.  

Normally, I'd think Fabricio Werdum is delusional for believing that his win over Walt Harris gets him a title shot against Stipe Miocic.  But the heavyweight division is so thin right now, and there's like no clear cut contender for Miocic, they might just go ahead and book that rematch to get Miocic a fight for January or February maybe.  And that's just because the timing of Overeem/Ngannou isn't great. 

17 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

That's what blows my mind, no pro wrestler ever even thought of that and DJ just did it in real life.

In proper Pro Wrestling fashion, rumor on the internets is that DJ even has a name for that technique as if it were a finisher.

The Mousetrap.

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Ray Borg clearly didn't belong in there with him though.  

Borg came to fight but the poor guy did not belong in the same ZIP code as DJ, much less the same octagon.

• Like 4

Lee congratulated Ferguson after the bout, but not before he broke down and wept after he was forced to tap out. Meanwhile, Ferguson played along, but maintained the bravado he came into the fight with.

“This fight went exactly the way I wanted it to,” Ferguson said, noting he goaded Lee to come in aggressive and waste his energy early. But it wasn’t Lee whom Ferguson wanted to talk about.

DJ on the MMA hour called the move the Mighty Whiz Bar.  He said he does have a move called the Moustrap but that's not the one we saw at UFC 216.  Also, Max Holloway then said his streaming fans suggested the Mighty Plex or the Mousetrap.  Johnson liked the Mighty Plex suggestion.

• Like 1