DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I hope they spent the money for Stevie to do the theme. 

I posted the pilot episode in the Horror thread and watched it during lunch.  The answer to your inquiry is no.

Not surprising though. Mario learned how to hold onto a production dollar from his tight fisted father.

I'm sure that idea was in play until they saw the cost of the licensing.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

We've been watching a bunch of Fall TV over the last week or two. Is it just me or is John Cena's voice all over the place on commercials?

I watch everything on the DVR delay so I couldn't say.  I do watch The Fresh Prince at lunch every day, and they show a car commercial that blares his entrance theme as soon as they turn the car on.  Of all the songs on the planet, I don't know how or why they picked that one, because it has nothing to do with Cena or wrestling.

Man, no one's talking about Halt and Catch Fire and it's finale? I haven't talked about the series as much, but I've always loved it even when it struggled. There was just something intangible and magnetic about HaCF that even when some of the stories dragged, I just wound up wanting more and wound up rooting for these people even more.

The third from the last episode was maybe one of the biggest gut punches I've ever felt. The scene starts playing out and I'm trying to figure out what's going on and then it's that phone call. I lost it. I became just a complete mess of tears.

Then the series finale made me feel that way again. As cliched as Solsbury Hill is, it just felt like a beautiful song to set the final moments of the series to. And finally there's that last line and it's about the most perfect bookend ever. I love the finale to Lost more than most, I consider Shield's finale to be perfect, Breaking Bad's is close to that, but in a way, HaCF's finale may be nearly as good as the Shield's. I'll have to re-watch it all again to really know for sure, but it sticks the landing so well.

Anyway, if you've never watched HaCF, please do. It reminds me a lot of Friday Night Lights in that it's  beautiful and wonderful TV series that probably shouldn't have been, the whole is better than its parts, and no one is watching this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

While technically from baseball - this should be here

I legit remember like 3 of these shows

Sadly, I remember almost all of them, though I only regularly watched a couple of them.  K-Ville might be the only show I have absolutely no memory of.

Virtually every show mentioned before the 24: Redemption promo half way through was mediocre or worse. And, really, relatively only a few of them were even mildly successful commercially .  

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, no one's talking about Halt and Catch Fire and it's finale? I haven't talked about the series as much, but I've always loved it even when it struggled. There was just something intangible and magnetic about HaCF that even when some of the stories dragged, I just wound up wanting more and wound up rooting for these people even more.

The third from the last episode was maybe one of the biggest gut punches I've ever felt. The scene starts playing out and I'm trying to figure out what's going on and then it's that phone call. I lost it. I became just a complete mess of tears.

Then the series finale made me feel that way again. As cliched as Solsbury Hill is, it just felt like a beautiful song to set the final moments of the series to. And finally there's that last line and it's about the most perfect bookend ever. I love the finale to Lost more than most, I consider Shield's finale to be perfect, Breaking Bad's is close to that, but in a way, HaCF's finale may be nearly as good as the Shield's. I'll have to re-watch it all again to really know for sure, but it sticks the landing so well.

Anyway, if you've never watched HaCF, please do. It reminds me a lot of Friday Night Lights in that it's  beautiful and wonderful TV series that probably shouldn't have been, the whole is better than its parts, and no one is watching this.

I am a computer nerd by trade so of course I watch this show and I loved it. I have had plenty of geek discussions with hacker friends that grew up during that time and we talk about how close the show was to how things were and how far off other things were.

The one thing they got dead on is that computing is not fucking magic.  There is a lot of hard work that goes into making sure that systems run smoothly.  I wish a lot of the end users I support on a daily basis took the time to watch this show.

I am kinda bummed that it is going away, but I wasn't sure how sustainable the series was given the personalities of most of the characters.

I have heard the period of history surrounding the birth of personal computing and the rise of the web described as "remarkable events showcasing the wealth of talent shown by insufferable people with extraordinary gifrs," and I know and work with my fair share of Cameron Howe's, so that statement isn't far from the truth.

I watched the fourth episode of Star Trek: Discovery today. That show gets worse and worse, I am now almost in the hate-watching phase. There are no likeable and barely any interesting characters on the show, the long boring Klingon scenes are killing me and acting/directing so far has been very underwhelming. The only good thing about the show so far is that the special effects look awesome.

I finished MINDHUNTER tonight, and I am off the fence: this show is awesome.

Once it finds its footing around episodes 3 and 4, it is fantastic, full stop.  It's the rare "TV show as 8-hour movie" that actually justifies the extended running time, with all the detours and tangents (even the FBI list of "approved" swear words!) culminating in a way that makes the climax resonate much more strongly than the 2 1/2 hour version of this would.

• Like 1

Catching up on last night’s DVR... 

Man, Nathan For You is such a great show. This episode was ridiculous as usual and was awesome in every aspect.

How Anthony Atamanuik didn’t get the Trump gig on SNL is beyond me. Alec Baldwin is such crap compared to Atamanuik and his work on The President Show, which is solid every week. 

I’m also loving the Chris Gethard Show. I never watched it before, obviously since it was public access. But now that it’s on Tru TV, I’ve been watching it weekly. Really funny stuff. 

I finally got The Sopranos on BluRay. I need to remind myself to keep my expectations low, as I was let down by both Breaking Bad and The Wire, which I thought were quite boring. My late father loved The Sopranos, calling it his favourite television show, so it's going to be tough.